Seniority Issue

KyleBroz

I've been at UPS since October 1st, and I have reached my seniortiy date but no one has told me??? I want to listen to mp3s and work but i don't know if i'm allowed too. I had a warning because somehow I had 15 wrong cars. Can they not give you your seniority because of wrong cars?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
They could, but once you reach the 30 days mark you're in. Someone should tell you soon, or even ask your fulltime soup about it.

UPSGUY72

I've been at UPS since October 1st, and I have reached my seniortiy date but no one has told me??? I want to listen to mp3s and work but i don't know if i'm allowed too. I had a warning because somehow I had 15 wrong cars. Can they not give you your seniority because of wrong cars?

If you started working at UPS Between Oct 1 and Dec 31 you can't make seniority until you work a day in Jan or Feb. You are considered a seasonal employee no matter if you where hired as a permanent employee.

Show up on time and due what you are told until after the first of the year or you might fine yourself on the outside looking in.....

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
If you started working at UPS Between Oct 1 and Dec 31 you can't make seniority until you work a day in Jan or Feb. You are considered a seasonal employee no matter if you where hired as a permanent employee.

Show up on time and due what you are told until after the first of the year or you might fine yourself on the outside looking in.....

Have a guy here started in Oct and was granted senoirity on Monday. I know, I know, each building has it own set of rules regarding the hiring / firing process.

OP, if you're liked and do a great job, work as directed and all of the above good stuff going for you, the worst the can do is say " yea we like yea, and were going to keep you around, but were going to have to fire you and rehire you". I know it sounds crazy but it happened a couple years ago here. So pep up, yes sir and work hard. Try to get noticed, no missload and just be involved greatly.

Good luck to you and work hard!

UPSGUY72

i'm not seasonal. I started my working days on OCT. 1st. I started classroom training in september.

What are they saying your are ???? In my area you can't make seniority seasonal or not in the First 2 week of Sept or the months of Oct, Nov, and Dec.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As usual, you guys are chiming in without knowing where the OP is and what supplemental contractual language applies.

As usual, it changes so damn much no one can ever tell. I've never been handed an updated contract by steward or stupervisor, ever. Things change, and a lot of us are left in the dark all the time. I keep hearing about past changes, and it left me saying wtf union, are you out to kill us?

The more they give ( union ) the less attractive this job gets with outsiders.

Most of the union contract I've learned here.

UPSGUY72

As usual, it changes so damn much no one can ever tell. I've never been handed an updated contract by steward or stupervisor, ever. Things change, and a lot of us are left in the dark all the time. I keep hearing about past changes, and it left me saying wtf union, are you out to kill us?

The more they give ( union ) the less attractive this job gets with outsiders.

Most of the union contract I've learned here.

Every New contract are BA stands out side the gate and hands one out....

If you ask maybe you will receive...

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
You only passes your thirty day trial period, seniority is when you work 90 working days aka getting into the union.

Also you are technically not allowed to wear anything that can get caught so that would mean no headphones, however you could ask your supervisor if you're allowed to bring in a radio, that's what I did and to this day I haven't had any issues.

Nimnim

The Nim
Everyone else has pretty much answered the seniority side. I saw mention of listening to mp3s while you work. That is also a location varying thing. In my location, when I got hired I asked my HR about it and they said no because in an emergency with headphones in someone might not be able to get my attention. Despite this though we have people every day at my location with music and headphones. The devices themselves aren't allowed in through security so they're snuck in.

Really though, if you want to listen to music ask, either management or the people you may see listening to music themselves. Seniority won't matter on that point.

UPSGUY72

You only passes your thirty day trial period, seniority is when you work 90 working days aka getting into the union.

Also you are technically not allowed to wear anything that can get caught so that would mean no headphones, however you could ask your supervisor if you're allowed to bring in a radio, that's what I did and to this day I haven't had any issues.

Wrong. You gain seniority after 30 days. Once you make your 30 days you have union rep and all the rights and privileges that a union person gets.

UPSGUY72

They could extend your probation period 30 day from the day you got written up.

Why don't you talk to your shop steward if you don't know who it is ask someone. Your shop steward will be able to assist you the correct answer for the ares that your located in.

Buck Fifty

Guessing Wrong Cars are Misloads, then they would either have to let you go or continue letting you work and attain seniority with no breaks. Now can the company do anything and say anything they want ? Short Answer : YES and WILL. Saying that, It doesn't change what is in the contract. Find your steward and learn your rights. Get in the Union !!!