seniority issues ?

cwb425

I am a p/t cover driver. a few guys are starting to go full time. within a year or two I should be full time driver, but I had a few questions about the seniority. if me and another guy have the same seniority date and we both want to be full time drivers who goes first ? I have heard they go by the interview date ??.... I have also heard since he works preload he started at 2 am and i started local sort at 5 pm so he has me beat. any idea of the real way this is done ???

I am a p/t cover driver. a few guys are starting to go full time. within a year or two I should be full time driver, but I had a few questions about the seniority. if me and another guy have the same seniority date and we both want to be full time drivers who goes first ? I have heard they go by the interview date ??.... I have also heard since he works preload he started at 2 am and i started local sort at 5 pm so he has me beat. any idea of the real way this is done ???
The date and time of interview

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You need to find out if it is covered in your regional/conference supplement or local rider/addendum/letter of understanding. In my Local it would be decided alphabetically by last name (by past practice, for UPS only). Date/time of interview (or application), or punch-in time of first day worked (training included) are some other valid ways this could be determined. You need to get this answered from your steward/union rep. or UPS HR rep., and they need to be sure enough about it to put it in writing (I'm not saying you need to get in writing, but since this may not have been an issue for several years, give them time to look it up if need be).

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe HERE we flip a coin. Seriously.

Thats the way it was taken care of in my center also. P.S.---the loser of the coin toss cried about it for 30 years. He did retire before the other guy though so in the end he was the real winner.

browniehound

I believe HERE we flip a coin. Seriously.

Yes, I witnessed two drivers walk out of the center manager's office and one came up to me and said "I'm crap out of luck. I just lost a coin toss to determine the greater seniority between the two of us". So I guess its common practice here in New England. I felt bad for the driver until I witnessed his attitude which was like: "Ya win some, Ya lose some" and he took it really well. "what am I gonna do? Its just another way that I am screwed by UPS. Its OK, I'm used to it, ha ha."

God Bless him...

robot

Has A Large Member
I'd rather have a battle to the death than leave it to chance like a coin flip!

Seniority means too much to leave it to chance.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'd settle it by who has turned in the most sales leads.

Man, if we're going to go with nonsensical things why not just settle it with who can throw a beachball closer to a housefly in mid flight without hitting it, while standing in a tub of chocolate pudding and wearing pasties on the night of a wanning moon.

over9five

Staff member
Man, if we're going to go with nonsensical things why not just settle it with who can throw a beachball closer to a housefly in mid flight without hitting it, while standing in a tub of chocolate pudding and wearing pasties on the night of a wanning moon.

I will bring this up at the next contract meeting.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah, how about while under light reflected off the bald head of someone in management? At most it'd take 5 minutes to get someone present.