seniority issues ?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by cwb425, Aug 29, 2010.

1. cwb425

cwb425 New Member

I am a p/t cover driver. a few guys are starting to go full time. within a year or two I should be full time driver, but I had a few questions about the seniority. if me and another guy have the same seniority date and we both want to be full time drivers who goes first ? I have heard they go by the interview date ??.... I have also heard since he works preload he started at 2 am and i started local sort at 5 pm so he has me beat. any idea of the real way this is done ???

2. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

The date and time of interview

3. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

You need to find out if it is covered in your regional/conference supplement or local rider/addendum/letter of understanding. In my Local it would be decided alphabetically by last name (by past practice, for UPS only). Date/time of interview (or application), or punch-in time of first day worked (training included) are some other valid ways this could be determined. You need to get this answered from your steward/union rep. or UPS HR rep., and they need to be sure enough about it to put it in writing (I'm not saying you need to get in writing, but since this may not have been an issue for several years, give them time to look it up if need be).

4. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

Here it goes by who punched in first, on the first day of work.

5. CustomerConcern

CustomerConcern New Member

Alphabetical here, if two are hired same day, whoevers last name is first wins.

6. EmerCond421

EmerCond421 Member

Here we go by UPS physical time.

7. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I believe HERE we flip a coin. Seriously.

8. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

In another bldg they went by who was hired by HR/ finished tour, ID , union card.

9. rod

rod retired and happy

Thats the way it was taken care of in my center also. P.S.---the loser of the coin toss cried about it for 30 years. He did retire before the other guy though so in the end he was the real winner.

10. browniehound

browniehound Well-Known Member

Yes, I witnessed two drivers walk out of the center manager's office and one came up to me and said "I'm crap out of luck. I just lost a coin toss to determine the greater seniority between the two of us". So I guess its common practice here in New England. I felt bad for the driver until I witnessed his attitude which was like: "Ya win some, Ya lose some" and he took it really well. "what am I gonna do? Its just another way that I am screwed by UPS. Its OK, I'm used to it, ha ha."

God Bless him...

11. robot

robot Large Member

Coin flip?!! No way I'd got for that or the alphabetical nonsense!

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

What would be your solution, oh mechanical one?

13. robot

robot Large Member

I'd rather have a battle to the death than leave it to chance like a coin flip!

Seniority means too much to leave it to chance.

14. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Either way it's still onlt a 50% chance you'll win and a coin toss is less painful.

15. over9five

I'd settle it by who has turned in the most sales leads.

16. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

Man, if we're going to go with nonsensical things why not just settle it with who can throw a beachball closer to a housefly in mid flight without hitting it, while standing in a tub of chocolate pudding and wearing pasties on the night of a wanning moon.

17. over9five

I will bring this up at the next contract meeting.

18. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

See that you do. I'll be reading the minutes with baited breath. ^_^

19. over9five

I'm just not sure abot the wanning moon thing. This would imply having to wait.

I'm sure the chocolate pudding, pasties, and beach ball part will be OK.

20. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

Yeah, how about while under light reflected off the bald head of someone in management? At most it'd take 5 minutes to get someone present.