seniority question

bjork

I think I already know the answer but would like to double check.

Let's say someone is double shifting and has higher seniority than you. Technically, don't you have the "power" to not let them take your job duty since they are double shifting. (example: working upstairs with irregs).

Dr.Brownz

I think in some locals they say all pters have to be working to double shift? I'm not sure but that was how it was when I worked part time. So if there are other part timers laid off while double shifting is happening it might be a violation. Talk to stew

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's say someone is double shifting and has higher seniority than you. Technically, don't you have the "power" to not let them take your job duty since they are double shifting. (example: working upstairs with irregs).

Anyone who is double shifting should not be able to displace an employee on the additional shift regardless of seniority.

I think in some locals they say all pters have to be working to double shift? I'm not sure but that was how it was when I worked part time. So if there are other part timers laid off while double shifting is happening it might be a violation. Talk to stew

No PTer should be allowed to double shift if there are any PTers not working.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

I'm not exactly sure on this one, but I would imagine if you come in and someone is double shifting and they try to send you home, I would imagine there has to be something against that. Especially since you are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours. If you agree to go home then you won't get it but if they force you then you will get the pay. Ask your union steward.

box_beeyotch

If a full time driver is laid off, they have the right to bump the least seniority part timer to double shift and get their 8. Not sure about part timers double shifting but I would think they cant use someone to double shift if their sending other part timers home.

If a full time driver is laid off, they have the right to bump the least seniority part timer to double shift and get their 8. Not sure about part timers double shifting but I would think they cant use someone to double shift if their sending other part timers home.
UPS will use PT sups and pay the grievance if they get caught.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Are you talking about being sent home, or just being bumped from your usual irreg job to something else?
If it's the latter, did you get your irreg position by a p/t classification bid, or just get put there? If you didn't sign a bid for the preferred job they can put you wherever they want. Check with your steward if it really matters to you.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Double shifting employees shall have seniority amongst themselves.

I work in a preferred job and if we "over staff" with doubles, the doubles get to go to the inbound/outbound. Same thing happens quite a bit when I work doubles on the Midnight sort.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Double shifting employees shall have seniority amongst themselves.

I work in a preferred job and if we "over staff" with doubles, the doubles get to go to the inbound/outbound. Same thing happens quite a bit when I work doubles on the Midnight sort.

Yep.

Double shifting employees can't displace someone, working their normal shift.

Regardless.... of seniority.

-Bug-