Seniority skipped over

Looking for some input. Last December i was skipped over for a cover drivers position in favor of another employee with less seniority. I filed a greivance intending to secure any rights I would have had from starting back in December 2015

I took the next available cover driver slot which came in June of 2016. Now I am sitting home with no work while other drivers with what should be less seniority are driving.

I have made it through my thirty days but only trained on one run.

I'm losing big money (for me) and getting little help
From Union or management. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Looking for some input. Last December i was skipped over for a cover drivers position in favor of another employee with less seniority. I filed a greivance intending to secure any rights I would have had from starting back in December 2015

I took the next available cover driver slot which came in June of 2016. Now I am sitting home with no work while other drivers with what should be less seniority are driving.

You said you filed a grievance. When did you file it and what was the outcome?

Johney

I suggest getting a copy of said bid sheet from HR, ask why so & so who has less time than you is now ahead of you on the cover driver list.

barnyard

KTM rider
Pretty sure my biggest mistake was being patient and trusting that this would be resolved correctly.

Yep.

If you file a grievance it is your responsibility to follow up on it and be sure that your rights according to the contract are preserved. You allowed the other driver to maintain FT status and now that person has more FT seniority than you and they will always have more FT seniority than you. Now all that you can do is bump into the sort and preload to get your FT hours.

I'll get my seniority. I just have to wait till the new year. I've been with UPS for years as a preloaded. Just switched to cover driving.

Following up for yourself is a must, but do have a problem with that when 1/4 of the guys I work with don't even know they have health insurance

clean hairy

Dec 2015 and June of 2016????
These are dates in the future, something seems off with this!

542thruNthru

Need more info.

FT cover or PT cover?

What region?

These make a difference. In the west we have PT cover drivers. Also seniority is based off who went cover first. So that would mean because you didn't push the issues that you were skipped over you now have to live with what you got.

Tough Guy

Did the guy who got in ahead of you already have his qualifications, and have driving experience? I've heard the company can pluck drivers with less seniority if they're already qualified ( drove for peak, etc) and has a certain area knowledge. If they do that and the union approves that, it's called a "driver rec". It only applies to workers who have already done driving school and got their qualifications.

UPSGUY72

Did the guy who got in ahead of you already have his qualifications, and have driving experience? I've heard the company can pluck drivers with less seniority if they're already qualified ( drove for peak, etc) and has a certain area knowledge. If they do that and the union approves that, it's called a "driver rec". It only applies to workers who have already done driving school and got their qualifications.

The only way that less seniority people get to drive before more seniority people is if the less seniority person sign a bid or a list of people wanting to go Ft and the person with more seniority didn't. It has nothing to do with where where they where trained already (peak or Pt air driver ). You don't sign the list you loose out....

I signed up for full time cover driver spot. I'm in upstate NY.

I was mistakenly jumped. An error that was acknowledged by management. That is how the less senior employee was sent to driver school before me. We had both signed for the position. Neither of us had experience both had been working preload.