Seniority with same date

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I graduated feeder school, we flipped coins. Once the order was established, they staggered the starts a week apart so everyone would have a different seniority date, since you start over in center seniority.

I was in this situation for a couple years. Until the fellow that shared the same date as me decided that stealing ever laptop and cell phone off of his truck was more important than working honestly. We know longer share the same seniority date.

box_beeyotch

I was in this situation for a couple years. Until the fellow that shared the same date as me decided that stealing ever laptop and cell phone off of his truck was more important than working honestly. We know longer share the same seniority date.

There must be one of these in every center. Nothing like your first week of local sort, watching a fellow co worker walked out in handcuffs with a backpack full of iPods and ps3s.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We had two drivers who were hired on the same date. They flipped a coin to see who got seniority over the other one. The one who lost cried about that for 30 years. At the time they didn't realize what a big deal it was but when you take into consideration everything at UPS is ran by seniority it turned out to be a real big argument starter between those two.

He should have picked tails.

How about go by shoe size? ;)

Retired22

How is seniority determined when employees have the same seniority date?
This happened in my center and the union and company followed these guidelines.
Both drivers were hired to full time on the same date.
So they went to their part time hire date. You guessed it, they were both hired on the same day as part timers.
They went to their peak season hire date to determine seniority. One driver was hired 1 day prior to the other and that's how they determined who had seniority.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
This happened in my center and the union and company followed these guidelines.
Both drivers were hired to full time on the same date.
So they went to their part time hire date. You guessed it, they were both hired on the same day as part timers.
They went to their peak season hire date to determine seniority. One driver was hired 1 day prior to the other and that's how they determined who had seniority.

How I wish they'd do that here. I'd be 6-7 spots higher.

Easy way to figure out who was hired first where I am at least.

Employee id numbers are sequential. Lower number wins.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
This happened to me 9 years ago. When we both went to the same driving school. Seniority was determined by who interviewed first when we started as part timers. He interviewed 2 hours before me and was above me even though I actually started working 1 week before he did.

rkctkc

How I wish they'd do that here. I'd be 6-7 spots higher.

Easy way to figure out who was hired first where I am at least.

Employee id numbers are sequential. Lower number wins.

There is a driver in my center that worked here long ago, he got rehired and was issued the same id number he previously had. Of course his senority is reset.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It goes by your last name A against B=A wins the seniority. All centers go by that and if not, file a grievance. Never settle for a coin flip.
Maybe that is how they do it in your center, but not all centers do it that way.

Please point me to the language in the contract that backs up your statement.

In order to grieve a contractual violation, it has to be a contractual violation.

Article and Section number please?

rod

Retired 22 years
It goes by your last name A against B=A wins the seniority. All centers go by that and if not, file a grievance. Never settle for a coin flip.

Apparently you haven't been around UPS long? After awhile you will realize that there is NOTHING that ALL centers do the same. Even though for the most part they work under the same contract there are 10 different ways to interpret every paragraph.