Seniority

Maple7

How exactly does seniority work at UPS? I want to become a driver but I know I first have to earn my wings. So is seniority just strictly based on how long you have been employed? Or are there other factors like work ethic, education, and driving experience?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How exactly does seniority work at UPS? I want to become a driver but I know I first have to earn my wings. So is seniority just strictly based on how long you have been employed? Or are there other factors like work ethic, education, and driving experience?
Seniority is based solely on your hire date.

brownrodster

Highest seniority person over 21 and with a decent driving record. I don't know exactly what they look for in a driving record. Seniority is based soly on how long you have worked here and nothing else.

P

pickup

Highest seniority person over 21 and with a decent driving record. I don't know exactly what they look for in a driving record. Seniority is based soly on how long you have worked here and nothing else.

I think a couple of dui's on a driver's abstract can make things a tad harder.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
In my building, Seniority is strictly by hire date. Your driving record will determine if you get the bid you sign. Then your seniority date changes when you change job classifications. I got my bid over someone with more seniority than me as he had a OUI. Now I'm ahead of him to bid routes and vacations, but he still has more tenure.

Ms.PacMan

Just wanted to add that senority is also based on job classification - ft vs. pt.

You may become a driver before someone with more pt senority because at the time they didn't want to be full-time or they had a lousy driving record. They would always have more company senority than you but you would have more ft senority on the driver list.

This also prevents a part-timer with 25 yrs from dovetailing into the driver senority list and bidding on an "easy" route. :-)) we had part-timer try this, thinking after all these years he could...not sure what he was thinking exactly)

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Just wanted to add that seniority is also based on job classification - ft vs. pt.

You may become a driver before someone with more pt seniority because at the time they didn't want to be full-time or they had a lousy driving record. They would always have more company seniority than you but you would have more ft seniority on the driver list.

This also prevents a part-timer with 25 yrs from dovetailing into the driver seniority list and bidding on an "easy" route. :-)) we had part-timer try this, thinking after all these years he could...not sure what he was thinking exactly)

Funny you bring that up Ms. PM I'm working clerical now because of an injury & they had me putting seniority dates on the vaca. calender. I notice that the 2nd lowest guy on the list in our building has 10 yrs seniority, but just made his 30 days last summer. Thought it was a typo. It wasn't. he worked inside for 9 yrs then he decided to drive. BTW, thanks for adding info

backinbrown

respect my authority
paidover i have been classified light duty

but they wont let me in the door

afraid ill get hurt then it is comp issue

my short term runs out in two weeks

long term is bieng slow

long term is UPS insurance not teamsters, so if UPS insurance is going to drag their feet i think i should be able to work.

either pay me or let me do my light duty

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Can't...there's already 2 of us flipping a coin to see who gets to wash windows! J/K

Ya, they wouldn't let me ride w/ a driver to learn a route when I was out on Dis. Said it was a liability.