Senority

is there any way of finding out someones senority date? I have reason to believe someone with less senority jumped ahead of me for a tcd position in the center we were both assigned to during this past peak season. i went to the union and they told me i could file a griveance if i knew the guys senority was for sure less than mine

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center has a FT and PT seniority list posted on a bulletin board just outside of our locker room.

Before filing the grievance, why don't you simply ask your on-car for both seniority dates? Seniority dates are not confidential and you will get your answer without putting pen to paper.

I prefer to sit down with my supervisor and discuss an issue that I may have. If we are not able to reach an agreement I will then file the grievance.

I don't think I've ever seen a senority list posted at my hub. I'll go ask tomorrow for his senority date. I have never filed a grievance before and I don't want to file if I don't have to. I just want the position I feel that should be mine

JonFrum

Your Contract Supplement should have an article, probably called "Seniority," which should explain all about bidding a TCD position by Seniority.

The Seniority List should be posted on the Union Bulletin Board.

Usually a grievance has to be filed within a week or so of the violation. But maybe, in this case, it would be within a week of your becoming aware of the violation? Check your Supplement.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jon is correct. In our supplement, you have a week to file, either from when it started, or when you were made aware of the situation.

In our center, they posed the seniority list complete with SS#'s. Had to file to get them to remove the numbers, because they refused to remove them voluntarily. Shows how stupidly uncaring UPS is when protecting employees privacy.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon is correct. In our supplement, you have a week to file, either from when it started, or when you were made aware of the situation.

In our center, they posed the seniority list complete with SS#'s. Had to file to get them to remove the numbers, because they refused to remove them voluntarily. Shows how stupidly uncaring UPS is when protecting employees privacy.

d

That used to drive me crazy--I would cross mine out with black marker. I still don't know why it took them so long to go to employee ID #'s.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The contract was specific on this issue, but yet they posted SS#'s and phone numbers on the same sheet. And they continued even after greivances were filed. Another fine example of "the contract is what binds the hourly, not the company."

d

TheKid

List should be posted in building somewhere. Ours is in the break room. If not your steward should have a copy.

JonFrum

So now that UPS assigns us an Employee ID #, it's that number that appears on the Seniority Lists and Vacation Selection Forms, and Sign-up Sheets.

An identity thief can steal your identity so long as he has something to start with. A Social Security Number is best, but an Employee ID Number will do.

In my building almost everyone, except those hired in recent years, has the same first three digits!!! That leaves only the last four digits as your unique number. Not exactly 128-bit encryption.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So now that UPS assigns us an Employee ID #, it's that number that appears on the Seniority Lists and Vacation Selection Forms, and Sign-up Sheets.

An identity thief can steal your identity so long as he has something to start with. A Social Security Number is best, but an Employee ID Number will do.

In my building almost everyone, except those hired in recent years, has the same first three digits!!! That leaves only the last four digits as your unique number. Not exactly 128-bit encryption.

Back when we were still using SSN's we had a PT sup who "borrowed" a few and opened up then maxed out a couple of credit cards.

Our center does not put our ID #'s on anything that is posted.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a list in the office with all the drivers ID #s and cell phone numbers. Never really thought about it but do I want my Cell number posted for any crazed lunatic to call me?

curiousbrain

I would make a limited case that this is a good endpoint to strive for; it follows that it would then be irrelevant what details were posted on what sheet, sans the key.