Sense of Entitlement

Goldilocks

With all due respect, with the implementation of ROADS and DRA, you may be overstating your importance to the company. We have PAS/EDD ad will be getting ORION. We are all replaceable.

This past Peak I had a young kid (22) for a helper. I knew that he wanted to be more than a go-fer so I trained him on the DIAD and in proper delivery methods. By the end of the first week this kid was to the point where he could have pulled a delivery route all on his own. Yes, the numbers would not have been there, but the packages would have been delivered and service would have been made.

Agree, we are all replaceable. But with UPS starting there employees out with a decent income helps keep good workers. It very different at Fedex. Its a revolving door. They dont pay new hires.

vantexan

With all due respect, with the implementation of ROADS and DRA, you may be overstating your importance to the company. We have PAS/EDD ad will be getting ORION. We are all replaceable.

This past Peak I had a young kid (22) for a helper. I knew that he wanted to be more than a go-fer so I trained him on the DIAD and in proper delivery methods. By the end of the first week this kid was to the point where he could have pulled a delivery route all on his own. Yes, the numbers would not have been there, but the packages would have been delivered and service would have been made.

But your young kids have quite an incentive to work hard and impress management. Not to mention most people are aware that UPS drivers work really hard but are rewarded for it so a young kid pursuing a driving job with you is most likely a quality person to begin with. It doesn't take long for people coming aboard at FedEx to realize FedEx wants hustle and productivity but gives little in return. The philosophy is they should be thankful we give them a job. And the really sad thing for UPS is you charge your customers fair prices that enable you to provide well for your workforce but it's, who else, FedEx that's going to ruin that for you with their cutthroat business ethics. I know in capitalism competition is good for the consumer but the new paradigm is to exploit a large group of people so that management in both FedEx and it's shipping partners benefit. Just because a group of people are willing to take those Ground jobs to have anything in this economy doesn't mean FedEx should see just how little they can get away with in compensation. If you believe we can have a sound economy with a bright future for our kids doing this you are deluded. If people don't have money to spend beyond very basic food and housing then one day you'll wake up and realize this is not the America we were taught to believe was the greatest country on Earth but now is just a shell of it's former self, ruined by greed.

Agree, we are all replaceable. But with UPS starting there employees out with a decent income helps keep good workers. It very different at Fedex. Its a revolving door. They dont pay new hires.
Poor Fred has to eat too!!He cant pay you a good wage and buy food for his family. Have you seen the price of steak and shrinp lately? How would he pay his light bill for that 10000 square foot house? Times are hard. He may have to take a paycut...say only 25 million!!!!Cant live on that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred will do whatever he has to to keep stockholders happy. If the frontline workforce has to be prodded, that's what he'll do. If they need to be rewarded monetarily, that's what he'll do.

The first part has already been happening for quite sometime.

His days of "rewarding" are well over. He's not about to go giving his workers a bigger slice of the pie especially when it means less for him, his cronies and his polical buddies.

El Morado Diablo

His days of "rewarding" are well over. He's not about to go giving his workers a bigger slice of the pie especially when it means less for him, his cronies and his polical buddies.

Our stock price is up 20% since the beginning of last year. Our senior manager gave us the 410k lecture and mentioned the generosity FedEx showed us when they paid us the $100-$200 Frontline bonus "even though we didn't make our SQI goal". Wow...then the SM admits the service failures during the summer were due to FedEx "pulling back too much". I know I want to personally thank FedEx's top management for all the late starts, long lunches, end of split shift pay, no scheduled OT, etc which resulted in many of us making thousands of dollars less than we did the year before -- for a $100-200 bonus. You know it's a poor reward when it's so small you don't even notice it on your paycheck.

The best line of the meeting was when the SM said, "The only reason FedEx took on the Amazon.com account was to give us something to do until the economy improved. And maybe make a little bit of money for the company, too."

bbsam

Staff member
The first part has already been happening for quite sometime.

well, maybe not at Express....

Disgruntled2

Well they don't pay experienced workers either! New hires in Memphis are paid $11.90 for a handlers position. I have been with FredEx for 5 1/2 years and my pay is only $13! So 5 years of experience is worth $1.10/hr more! That is so effed up it makes me sick....especially when the newcomers/kids do as little as possible to just get a paycheck. (Entitlement Mentality) This is a 2nd job for me and I was here mainly for the benefits which now have gone to hell and it is making my decision to leave and take my day job benefits a much easier decision.

hypo hanna

Our stock price is up 20% since the beginning of last year. Our senior manager gave us the 410k lecture and mentioned the generosity FedEx showed us when they paid us the $100-$200 Frontline bonus "even though we didn't make our SQI goal". Wow...then the SM admits the service failures during the summer were due to FedEx "pulling back too much". I know I want to personally thank FedEx's top management for all the late starts, long lunches, end of split shift pay, no scheduled OT, etc which resulted in many of us making thousands of dollars less than we did the year before -- for a $100-200 bonus. You know it's a poor reward when it's so small you don't even notice it on your paycheck......"

Typical FedEx,..... hands you a nickel with one hand while they steal dollars out our you pocket with the other.

hypo hanna

And oh the self congratulating when there is a tiny payout or a raise that doesn't even come close to covering the cost of living. Every exec has to put out a new video crowing about how the company is struggling but we managed to get you those table scraps. You know, because FedEx is a "people company".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Do any of you have new employees at your station (5 years or less) with a sense of entitlement? I am sick of new people coming in and thinking everything is owed to them. They wreck trucks and dont report it, they call in all the time, and they think they should be monday-friday. I dont get this generation. I will squash them like an ant with my seniority. Sick and tired of it....Managers seem to please them because they dont want to lose another body, but yet abuse the ones who are loyal and have been there a long time.

They come in all ranks of seniority and generations. For every newer hire who is like that, there is a veteran (actually, probably a few) who thinks he shouldn't have to do whatever because he's been with the company for 20 years. Good Lord, there are couriers who think that they should be able to change their route boundaries on a daily basis because they've been on those routes for years and nobody else knows as much about that area and blah blah blah. Of course management coddles those newer slackers... just like they coddle the older slackers.

So to answer your question, yes, we have newer employees like that. They blend in well with the older employees who are like that.

CJinx

You have newer, younger people who are just looking for ways to game the system to get a nice paycheck for doing as little work as possible, and you have veterans who feel that the company owes them a lavish lifestyle for unskilled labor and game the system to get a nice paycheck for doing as little work as possible.

Whatever happened to people that just went to work and did their jobs; and if they were unhappy with the work or pay, then they left to do something else?

Glorifiedpackmule

Here's another way of looking at where you started at and what you make now.. I've been with the company for 8 years. If I take what I make now and subtract what I started at and divide it by 8 it comes out to .34 cents a year. That's HUGE! How could I not be happy with that!? Don't even get me started on Insurance...it only makes it look worse.

MAKAVELI

You have newer, younger people who are just looking for ways to game the system to get a nice paycheck for doing as little work as possible, and you have veterans who feel that the company owes them a lavish lifestyle for unskilled labor and game the system to get a nice paycheck for doing as little work as possible.

Whatever happened to people that just went to work and did their jobs; and if they were unhappy with the work or pay, then they left to do something else?

I have worked many jobs before FedEx and I can tell you from experience that there is less of that here than most places. Remember who we work for. Fred wants the last penny he can get out of you. So even the laziest courier works a little hard.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The unhappy ones realized that they can't get any of the better paying jobs so we're stuck with them.