Sent home everyday with no pay (preload)

SEH12

at my center we have about 10 drivers coming in to preload each morning, so that means 10 of us get sent home nearly everyday. The part i find ridiculous is that they want us to show up EVERY DAY even though they know they wont need us. Driving an hour round trip at 4 in the morning for no reason is starting to get a bit ridiculous... anyone else having to do this?

chopstic

Check with your union rep... At my center if we show up on time to our shift we are guaranteed 3 hours whether they need us or not. I think in a ground hub like yours you would be guaranteed 3.5 hours.

SEH12

What location are you at? If you show up you should stay and get your 3 hours, period!
SW florida... I mean really i cant afford to drive an HOUR every day and rack up a ton of miles on my car for no reason, not to mention screw up my whole day.

RedThunder

If you receive a start time and show up for work on time you are guaranteed x.x number of hours period. Check your supplement for your guarantee. Usually 3.0/3.5 hours.

SEH12

did they ask you if you wanted to go home or tell you that you had to go home?
Told us we had to.

We're listed as "bench" on the clipboard, so we stand around waiting for about 10 minutes until they check to see if everyone is there, then "ok guys we dont need you". The part that pisses me off is that we HAVE to show up every morning, its absolutely ridiculous. Complete waste of time and money for all of us, then its just an insult to send us home without even an apology.

helenofcalifornia

Does the business agent know about this? If you are told you have to show up, you get paid. Simple as that. Tell them that you are all going to file a grievance for backpay. That will put a quick stop to that "bench" bs. Get the Teamsters involved. Report back. Interesting that UPS is even trying this.

slantnosechevy

Does the business agent know about this? If you are told you have to show up, you get paid. Simple as that. Tell them that you are all going to file a grievance for backpay. That will put a quick stop to that "bench" bs. Get the Teamsters involved. Report back. Interesting that UPS is even trying this.

Exactly right. You should be paid. They can put you "on Call" like drivers and you have to call in before you leave for work, but if they're telling you to come in thats the same as reporting for a scheduled start. Of course who knows what your supplimental says. FILE ANYWAY Get a ruling.

evilleace

If they tell you to come in they can not force you to leave they can ask and send you home on a voluntary basis in seniority order but they can not make you leave stay and get your time if they make you leave keep track of the days and file a grievance with your steward or BA.

DS

Fenderbender
at my center we have about 10 drivers coming in to preload each morning, ?
Hang on a sec,are you saying the drivers are preloading for free?
This is the only reason they would do this because putting 10 of them on the clock would cost them far more than letting you guys do it.If this is the case file a grievance now!

helenofcalifornia

As we all have figured out with the massive hours of OT we are all getting if we drive. Making more money now than at Christmas and they don't seem to care one bit.

brownrodster

Told us we had to.

We're listed as "bench" on the clipboard, so we stand around waiting for about 10 minutes until they check to see if everyone is there, then "ok guys we dont need you". The part that pisses me off is that we HAVE to show up every morning, its absolutely ridiculous. Complete waste of time and money for all of us, then its just an insult to send us home without even an apology.

If they require you to show up then you are guaranteed you 3 oe 3.5 hours. You need to talk to your steward or the union ASAP. Maybe you can file a grievence for back pay.