Sent home today after being told twice on Wednesday I will be working.

clean hairy

If you are told to go home you are not needed, and you say "ok" and leave, you forfeit your right to 8 hrs pay.
If you advise them you want your 8 hours and they send you home anyway, then you have a good grievance.
At least here in the Southern.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why don't you wait until the :censored2: hits the fan and they really do need you-----then call in sick. That will teach'em not to mess with you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you are told to go home you are not needed, and you say "ok" and leave, you forfeit your right to 8 hrs pay.
If you advise them you want your 8 hours and they send you home anyway, then you have a good grievance.
At least here in the Southern.

In the Central, if you clock in, they owe you your 8 hour guarantee. If you come in and they say they do not need you, they owe you 6 hours. You don't have to say a word. If they do not pay you, file for the 6 hours.

Problem here is that seasonal employees do not receive any benefits from the supplement except for wages. In other words, there are no hour guarantees.

bumped

That's fair. But it makes the transition easier IMO. You know what you're doing with the DIAD. You know how the vehicles feel to drive. Your focus can be more on getting it done, than learning what you have to do.

The experience with the DIAD is not worth the chance of an accident which would keep OP from a permanent drivers job for a year.

PT Car Washer

The experience with the DIAD is not worth the chance of an accident which would keep OP from a permanent drivers job for a year.
The experience of driving the smaller UPS vehicles on a low stress Saturday and learning the DIAD is well worth it. A lot of FT new drivers fall apart delivering on Saturday because of not having EDD and routing themselves.

ThyDevourer

The experience of driving the smaller UPS vehicles on a low stress Saturday and learning the DIAD is well worth it. A lot of FT new drivers fall apart delivering on Saturday because of not having EDD and routing themselves.
I did Saturdays for a few months prior and yeah like you said absolutely no comparison to package car. Good diad practice I suppose but all I learned was driver release and getting sigs.