Sept 8th Presidental Address to children across America

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
"When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright maroon."

- H.L. Mencken

I think we already did that, and the 2008 election finally rebelled against the lowest common denominator. The American People are generally a pretty common sense lot, and eventually they realize when they have been taken for a ride, and throw the rascals out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think we already did that, and the 2008 election finally rebelled against the lowest common denominator. The American People are generally a pretty common sense lot, and eventually they realize when they have been taken for a ride, and throw the rascals out.
Yep, but we are stuck with them for another 3+ years.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
wkmac, nice story.

In my area the school's budget is mandated by law to be separated . The state sets the amount that the towns/cities must approve regardless of its other budgets. Most of the public schools are a joke, but the charter schools { some specialized quai independent operations } have a backlog of want-a-be students and a higher success rate. These schools are working the only downside is that some of their operation funds comes from the public school's budget.