Serious accident involving a helper

iowa boy

That's a new one. They haven't done that here but I think they should.

I'm with Dilli on this one, only I think that we all should be wearing saftey vests, especially after dark. Its real hard to see a man or woman dressed in all brown in the middle of the block with no street lights around.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm with Dilli on this one, only I think that we all should be wearing saftey vests, especially after dark. Its real hard to see a man or woman dressed in all brown in the middle of the block with no street lights around.

I don't worry about it so much with me, at least my jacket has a reflective stripe down the length of the arms. I also know to pay attention to the sounds going on around me, especially traffic. I wouldn't mind seeing them add the reflective stripes on the pant legs as well. The jumpers are a different matter.

brownelf

This is the first year we've ever started helpers after dark in this area, I don't get mine til 6pm. Personally I believe sending someone with little to no experience out in these conditions is foolish but it's not my call to make. All it does is slow me down and add stress to the end of my day having to be responsible for his safety and methods.

brownelf

I'm doing my commercial stops and pickups till then, at 6pm I still have a residential split with at least 60 stops to deliver.

brownelf

no he's all mine, we work till approx 9pm every day. I feel bad that he doesn't get the opportunity to work more as he would like to.

brownelf

Not my call, we have a team of management people in place that decide these things. Normally they design coloring books and come up with safety slogans for us to memorize.

over9five

Staff member
Our helpers are required to wear safety vests.

BOTH excellent ideas. In Feeders, everyone gets a safety vest. When I bid back to Package last year, I would wear mine while delivering at night. It is damn near impossible to see a driver all in brown at night, REGARDLESS of the little reflective stripes, AND if you're not wearing a coat you don't even have that.
Be responsible for your own safety. I'm sure the company will give you a safety vest if you ask. Even if they don't, they may cost you all of five bucks.

I think it is insane for UPS to require safety vests in the yard, but not for delivery drivers at night. It's your life on the line out there.

A

anonymous6

i'm not a package driver but aren't you supposed to leave the tranny in gear when you stop the motor? I don't rely on the parking brake in my personal vehicle, especially parked on a hill?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i'm not a package driver but aren't you supposed to leave the tranny in gear when you stop the motor? I don't rely on the parking brake in my personal vehicle, especially parked on a hill?

Sober believes that the motor was still running, the car was in neutral with the parking brake on and the driver was in the package compartment sorting while the helper was sitting in the jump seat.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I think it is insane for UPS to require safety vests in the yard, but not for delivery drivers at night. It's your life on the line out there.

I respectfully disagree.

Safety vests in yard - insane?

I would like to see everyone wear vests in the yard - no exceptions.

ABSOLUTE NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

RAYMOND, WISCONSIN - The family of a Brookfield man was planning his funeral Wednesday, a day after the Raymond business owner was pinned between two semitrailers and killed.

Racine County Sheriff's Lt. Dan Klatt said Avner Hizmi, 57, died at the scene after emergency crews were called at 2:58 p.m. Tuesday to Javco Trailer Sales in Raymond. Hizmi was found in a rear lot at the business, 3873 27th St., where he had been pinned between a semitrailer that was backing up and a parked semitrailer, according to sheriff's reports.

Read more: Brookfield man crushed by semi

A 26-year-old man was killed this morning when he got pinned between two tractor trailers.

It happened around 2:50 a.m. at the Kroger on Garmin Circle.

A tractor trailer driven by Kenneth J. Durbin, from Danville, OH, was backing into a parking space at the Kroger warehouse and failed to see a parked tractor trailer already there.

Bobby L. Cooper, from Walland, TN, ran behind the tractor trailer driven by Mr. Durbin in order to alert him and was pinned between the two vehicles.

Cooper passed away at the hospital from his injuries.

Last edited:

HULKAMANIA

Im sorry man but your management team is a bunch of idiots! You should be able to have your helper during your commercial stops to get you back inside sooner than 9 pm? What is your start time? These idiots cant figure out why all these accidents are happening after 6 p.m. DUHHHH its DARK! These trucks arent exactly the greatest things when it comes to visibility by any stretch of imagination. Not saying this accident was "dark" related since it probably wasnt but there has been ALOT that have been.

This is the first year we've ever started helpers after dark in this area, I don't get mine til 6pm. Personally I believe sending someone with little to no experience out in these conditions is foolish but it's not my call to make. All it does is slow me down and add stress to the end of my day having to be responsible for his safety and methods.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Why aren't you using him for the commercials and pickups which could then allow you to start the residentials earlier?

That could cause a hurry up and wait issue. If you use a helper to expedite pickups you might run into a problem of having to wait to pickup your next account. Must make our 15 minute window of pickup compliance even during peak.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Our helpers are required to wear safety vests.

The more I think of this idea, the more I like it. As a member of my center's safety committee I am going to implement this as SOP tomorrow. After all....it is about being safe. These helpers are thrown into the mix for 3-4 weeks before Christmas and do not know what to look for and what to expect. We as experienced UPS personnel should give them EVERY opportunity to make it through the peak season unharmed.