Serious accident involving a helper

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

aj, I think you misread over's post. He wasn't questioning the use of safety vests in the yard--he was questioning as to why their use wasn't extended to all on-road employees.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I didn't see anything in article mention the truck was idling??
Maybe it was parked, in gear, & e-brake on.

If so, mayba jumper was in cab, driver sorting in back and helper knocke shift into neutral accidentally & with bad E-brake. Then this nightmare event.

I just can't c our own neglecting to turn off engine while parked and in back sorting stops. I don't know bout u guys, but I'm very parenoid bout leaving the controls of package car with engine on.

If it is so then being 7:45 p.m. this would tell me that driver was screwed with bad dispatch that even with a helper couldn't get clean and fatigue, desperation and overwhelmed made the worst mistake of his life.

If that's the case then I blame him like 10% & put the 90% blame on UPS management and I.E.

We are fully equiped, well trained, & well paid but if we get screwed enough by UPS dispatch and over the top stops and spread then anything can happen. After 100 yrs. of EXPERIENCE, OUR GUYS SHOULDN"T BE PUT THREW THAT BULLCRAP & no training is gonna help when it comes down to that.

My question is was there any plan on someone going out to take stops off them cause they were obviously in a tough bind?

Service is one thing but sometimes you gotta draw the line and think about the driver & helper safety.

I feel horrable that an innocent outsider (helper) has become a victim and feel horrable for our driver unon brother.

I pray for them both. I pray a miracle for that helper.

So many senario's on how it could of happened but all that matter's know is both of their well-being.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
aj, I think you misread over's post. He wasn't questioning the use of safety vests in the yard--he was questioning as to why their use wasn't extended to all on-road employees.

Dave, You are right. I read the post with too much emotion involved. I appreciate the (polite) slap in the back of the head.

Over, I am sorry - I jumped. I recognize the paradox of your post.

The yard death, Raymond, WI, that was the father of six children and the husband of one of my life long BBF's.
He was known for never turning his back on a trailer; I argued with him...he needed to step it up and wear a vest.
Now, it is too late...

Over, Please accept my apology.
Dave, Thank you for stepping in ....
AJ

over9five

Staff member
Dave, You are right. I read the post with too much emotion involved. I appreciate the (polite) slap in the back of the head.

Over, I am sorry - I jumped. I recognize the paradox of your post.

Forgettaboutit!!!

To be perfectly clear:

Over9five endorses the company policy of yard employees wearing safety vests 100% of their time in the yard.
Over9five would like to see a company policy of supplying ALL Package car drivers with safety vests to be worn while delivering at night AND any other time at their discretion.

UPSGUY72

The use of safety vest in the yard is related to the fact that each person in the yard is doing something different and thus might not being totally aware of everything that is happening in the yard at any given time. The Vest makes the person wearing it stick out not blend in with the surrounding thus making them more visible to other people in the yard that might not be aware that someone else is in that location.

For us package car drivers we have more control over the situation at each stop we deliver at night (house calls ). We park on the side of the road and 90 percent of the time don't have to cross the road. If we do it's behind the car and again we wait till the traffic has cleared then cross. We have control because we can see what is happening around us and make adjustments. In the yard a person might be doing something else and not be able to monitor what is going on around them.

over9five

Staff member
The use of safety vest in the yard is related to the fact that each person in the yard is doing something different and thus might not being totally aware of everything that is happening in the yard at any given time. The Vest makes the person wearing it stick out not blend in with the surrounding thus making them more visible to other people in the yard that might not be aware that someone else is in that location.

For us package car drivers we have more control over the situation at each stop we deliver at night (house calls ). We park on the side of the road and 90 percent of the time don't have to cross the road. If we do it's behind the car and again we wait till the traffic has cleared then cross. We have control because we can see what is happening around us and make adjustments. In the yard a person might be doing something else and not be able to monitor what is going on around them.
Maybe. But I think when it gets to be 8 PM, and you're tired, and you're thinking about those last 25 stops, and your long ride home after you punch out, etc etc...... that is the time you will make that "little" mistake. Take a quick peek at the DIAD screen as you step out from behind the PC. The driver of that car won't even see you in those browns until it is too late.
A safety vest could have saved your life. Less than $5 could have saved your life.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober believes that the motor was still running, the car was in neutral with the parking brake on and the driver was in the package compartment sorting while the helper was sitting in the jump seat.

This is what was relayed to us at the PCM. I do not know whether it is accurate or not. The fact that the driver was in back and the the helper was ejected from the vehicle during the rollaway would tend to support this conclusion.

Backlasher

Our brown uniform totally blends in with the background and as much as I trust myself, I do not trust others. You cannot control the dark invironment, only limited to controlling yourself and sometime, at the wrong moment, that wont be enough.

I ordered a replacement coat and when I got it, it was totally different.
Has anyone seen the new pull over coats that don't have a full length zipper. They don't have the reflective yellow strip down the arms nor across the upper back. They have a very skinny strip of reflective gray. Hardly visible. These coats are the new ones giving to jumpers and jumpers are not as awear of the job risks and not as near in habit enough to watch their surrounding as we are.

Ups trying to save $ on the reflective yellow strip and to top it off, hand em to our jumpers is just RETARDED! Yea, starting to use this word ALOT lately.

I don't like it being a pull over and still using my old coat which has full yellow and gray strips on arms and upper back. WHY would they remove that from the design is beyond me except to save $ without taken into concideration, OUR SAFETY.

Not only is it safer for us to have reflective yellow strips on our coat but it's one more step in having our customers trust in us knocking on the door and answering us at 7:45 at night!

S

splozi

I ordered a replacement coat and when I got it, it was totally different.
Has anyone seen the new pull over coats that don't have a full length zipper. They don't have the reflective yellow strip down the arms nor across the upper back. They have a very skinny strip of reflective gray. Hardly visible. These coats are the new ones giving to jumpers and jumpers are not as awear of the job risks and not as near in habit enough to watch their surrounding as we are.

I wear one of those as a helper. My driver has one of the old ones.

Backlasher

Isn't all that $ saved on using seasonal rather then more routes and drivers enough.

They give me a serious paycut from my air rate to drive cover vaca and do peak, but that savings isn't enough.

A few days I ran air and no seasonal route after. They sent me O.C.Pickups for bulk ground. They freaking payed me $12 an hour as a helper for that. I said what the crap. I ran just as air driver those days and picked up ground. I'm no freaking JUMPER. Were's my ground pay for those days which should of been the whole day!!!

Answer was: they were O.C. pick ups and it's in contract to not pay ground for them cause some customers call in an air pick up and when air guy pick it up they find that it's ground which is out of our hands.

I told him, THEY were sent to me AS GROUND PICK_UPS. and bulk @ that. U knew they were ground when u sent them. No good responce giving except that they are allowed so I said, " in a nice manner": I will no longer be available for your SEASONAL PAY CUT TO DO MORE WORK NOR COVER VACA WITH THIS PAYCUT BULL CRAP. You want more work and give me a Dramatically less pay, even though I perform great and give better #'s .

I'm not saving them any more $$. They want me doing ground work, Then they better be FREAKING paying me ground or at the minimum my top air rate.

It's a big pay cut and I have NO understanding of why we union guys would vote for this in our contract.

Part time COVER drivers, as well as Seasonal drivers that are already Part time DRIVERS like air and Cover should get @ least their air rate or some sort of progression rate!!

Some kinda rate above those outsiders that don't have a clue on how to use DIAD nor understand the full methodes of the DRIVER job. I have more area knowledge then most of the freaking guys that outbid me threw the yrs. and perform better then them so at least give a PAY RATE THAT SHOWS THAT! I could be a Part-time cover driver and seasonal for infinite yrs and still have the same low rate which is MUCh lower then my top air rate, RETARDED.

I respect you full timers and salute your hard work, Be safe out there. I will no longer save CO. $ by doing this even though I like it and do it with PRIDE!!! I'm going to give myself a raise by reverting back to my part time bid sence I don't really have a bid other then that for them to hold me to.

I have many good moments of cooking a route and doing a meet to take more stops off another fulltimer to help out cause I respect u guys and times of needing help and having fulltimer taking stops off me. WE are a team and Brothers, but I just cant respect a BIG pay cut to do this any more. No justification. Already checked and I have every right to say no and stay i Air so why not. Would you guys do more work and not see family for a pay-cut???
Would any manager do twice the work for half the $ ?

oh, my bad, I just flipped to a different subject.

Saving $ on reflective yellow strip on coat is RETARDED, That is what I meant to say.

Backlasher

I wear one of those as a helper. My driver has one of the old ones.

Do u work after dark with him??

How do u feel about not having that reflective yellow band???

Be carefull and alert of your suroundings. Make sure you use that hand rail when getting into truck.

Also, be carefull of your footing, carefull for ice especially residential porches, steps, and side walks. Maintain your balance. Pay attention to your driver and take any concerns he has for safety seriously . It can be a great experience. Enjoy it safely for u and family sake. It's not easy to take in all our methodes in one short season but stay alert.
It doesn't matter how many stops u guys have left if u aren't being safe. Welcome to the brown.

S

splozi

Do u work after dark with him??

How do u feel about not having that reflective yellow band???

Be carefull and alert of your suroundings. Make sure you use that hand rail when getting into truck.

Also, be carefull of your footing, carefull for ice especially residential porches, steps, and side walks. Maintain your balance. Pay attention to your driver and take any concerns he has for safety seriously . It can be a great experience. Enjoy it safely for u and family sake. It's not easy to take in all our methodes in one short season but stay alert.
It doesn't matter how many stops u guys have left if u aren't being safe. Welcome to the brown.

It's dark here at 5:30, so yes, we work into the "night". Not having reflective stripes doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is not being able to see house numbers.

We have no ice right now, but mud after a rain can be just as hazardous.

Backlasher

It's dark here at 5:30, so yes, we work into the "night". Not having reflective stripes doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is not being able to see house numbers.

We have no ice right now, but mud after a rain can be just as hazardous.

That wet mud can build up on the step getting in and out of truck to so another good reason to use the hand rail. It's not about being manly, it's about those knee's, hips, and back.

I use a real good compact L.E.D. flash light, helps for finding those hard to C addresses.

Last peak, I had a time when a large amount of blocks had a power outage and it was a pain to find addresses. Get a small L.E.D. that u can fit in pocket. You'll probably at a better advantage to scan for addresses and let driver, drive.

S

splozi

That wet mud can build up on the step getting in and out of truck to so another good reason to use the hand rail. It's not about being manly, it's about those knee's, hips, and back.

I use a real good compact L.E.D. flash light, helps for finding those hard to C addresses.

Last peak, I had a time when a large amount of blocks had a power outage and it was a pain to find addresses. Get a small L.E.D. that u can fit in pocket. You'll probably at a better advantage to scan for addresses and let driver, drive.

I try to keep the steps clean of mud and wet leaves. I use the hand rail when getting in or out of the truck. It makes my arms sore, but that's better than killing my knees (again).

A flashlight is a good idea! I should bring one for this last week of peak. It would definitely speed things up after 5:30. We spend a lot of time just tracking down numbers.

Backlasher

I try to keep the steps clean of mud and wet leaves. I use the hand rail when getting in or out of the truck. It makes my arms sore, but that's better than killing my knees (again).

A flashlight is a good idea! I should bring one for this last week of peak. It would definitely speed things up after 5:30. We spend a lot of time just tracking down numbers.

Don't rely fully on your arms either. A combination of arm and leg strength along with momentum will save you energy. Practice will make it easy.