Serious accident involving a helper

"He said the man seemed disoriented and was concerned about the packages, perhaps unaware that the man he called his "helper" had been thrown from the truck."

LOL

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A couple of things.

First, the helper was most likely belted in, and pinned between the package car and tree. It would be very easily done the way it is leaning into the trees. All it takes is for the upper part of his body to hang out as the package car went into the ditch, which is where it would have been due to the movement of the car.

Secondly, the driver most likely would have known that the car was moving but for some reason was not able to respond. Might I suggest the following, which actually happened here.

Driver is sorting through the package that are left. Throws a package into the front, one that is going to be delivered next. Package slams into the gear shift, causing the package car to lurch forward in third gear. The brake does not hold well, and the driver is thrown off his feet into the down step in the rear of the package car. Before he can regain his feet and respond, the package car has traveled over 150 feet, and struck two other vehicles.......

Just sayin.

I hope he makes it.

d

Johney

A couple of things.

First, the helper was most likely belted in, and pinned between the package car and tree. It would be very easily done the way it is leaning into the trees. All it takes is for the upper part of his body to hang out as the package car went into the ditch, which is where it would have been due to the movement of the car.

Secondly, the driver most likely would have known that the car was moving but for some reason was not able to respond. Might I suggest the following, which actually happened here.

Driver is sorting through the package that are left. Throws a package into the front, one that is going to be delivered next. Package slams into the gear shift, causing the package car to lurch forward in third gear. The brake does not hold well, and the driver is thrown off his feet into the down step in the rear of the package car. Before he can regain his feet and respond, the package car has traveled over 150 feet, and struck two other vehicles.......

Just sayin.

I hope he makes it.

d
Lurch forward in 3rd gear? Not likely. An old P10 would die if popped into third gear. Also the helper belted in,you don't think he's going to do something as this truck flies down the hill? There is more to this story.Sorry.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"He said the man seemed disoriented and was concerned about the packages, perhaps unaware that the man he called his "helper" had been thrown from the truck."

LOL

We have a helper who is still comatose in the intensive care ward after being crushed between the packge car and tree. We have a driver who is injured as well, and who may soon be facing the prospect of losing his job. We also have a totalled package car. I guess I'm having a hard time finding anything to LOL about in this situation.

mailgurl

can someone in WA please let us know how the helper is? I can't find out anything online.

The news this morning just reported that the helper was a Paster in a local church. He was still at Harborview Hospital with serious injuries..collapsed lung, and just about every bone in his face broken. Other injuries I don't recall. Reported by KOMO news. Beloved pastor fighting for his life after UPS truck crash | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Last edited:

beatupbrown

Yes correct turn your wheels into the corner is part of the methods or use to be. I had a supervisor riding with me because I stopped running because they kept giving me more work. I was in a worn out sled with manual steering very hard to turn with all the weight on the wheels when stopped .Can you imagine how much that would slow you down if UPS followed their own methods on this matter.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
What's this concept of leaving the package car in gear when stopped? In this day and age are there still manual transmission trucks out there? Haven't stepped foot in my center in over three years but from what I hear most all trucks now are automatic with power steering.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the two injured UPSers.

Leftinbuilding

We have a helper who is still comatose in the intensive care ward after being crushed between the packge car and tree. We have a driver who is injured as well, and who may soon be facing the prospect of losing his job. We also have a totalled package car. I guess I'm having a hard time finding anything to LOL about in this situation.

+1

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
And I jump out before "a complete stop" :D I think I'll be ok
you dear sir, will get hired after peak,, . sad thing is, the real cause of all of this is peak related fatigue / over dispatching and stress due to the 12 hr planned days ,, these issues will never be addressed tho- corporate will fire the driver and do it all over again next yr

midwest brown

And I jump out before "a complete stop" :D I think I'll be ok
you dear sir, will get hired after peak,, . sad thing is, the real cause of all of this is peak related fatigue / over dispatching and stress due to the 12 hr planned days ,, these issues will never be addressed tho- corporate will fire the driver and do it all over again next yr

I work inside already! Been there 7 mon

Johney

If you were my helper you would either wear the seatbelt or I would give you taxi fare back to your car.
You sir are a better man than me for sure. I have driven a few to the front gates of a community and tell them find your own ride back. Cab fare? Not a chance.