Serious Problem in Cornerstone Training

Nianne

I'm a brand new hire, and I have a concern about the behavior of my class' Cornerstone trainer.

On Day 3, she handed out a two-page checklist with all the checks already marked and instructed us that we weren't going to read the whole thing, we were just going to go over the first sentence or two and then sign the document.

I proceeded to read the document and found the very first paragraph stating that I had completed training that I had not, in fact, completed. I brought it up with the trainer and she said that training was not available. I said, well then how can I sign saying that I've done it? She said, if I don't sign, I can't go on to the next aspect of training. The part I had concerns about is just not done anymore, and the document was never changed. I suggested I could write on the document to change it.

Then I read further down the page. The page was an entire checklist of things -- already checked -- saying we had done things we had not done. We hadn't done ANY OF THEM. And she wanted us to sign off saying we had done them.

And she insisted that I wouldn't be able to leave Cornerstone and go on to my week of being partnered with a trainer unless I signed the document.

Finally, through a combination of her giving me (and me alone) some of the training indicated, and us both initialing alterations I made to the document indicating the things I was not able to do, we got me to the point where I was able to sign the document.

However, I'm extremely upset and disappointed by this inappropriate behavior of her having a document that she knew perfectly well was not accurate, and not only trying to get us to sign it, but specifically trying to get us to sign it *without reading it* well enough to notice that it was a falsehood from top to bottom. She hasn't asked us to skip reading any other document in the class. This was a fully-aware act in bad faith. An act of poor integrity, on her part and most likely her boss as well.

Being an employee three days in, I have no idea who I should bring this up with, and whether or not I'll be setting myself up to get released before the end of probation if I do make an issue of it.

T

Turdferguson

I'm a brand new hire, and I have a concern about the behavior of my class' Cornerstone trainer.

On Day 3, she handed out a two-page checklist with all the checks already marked and instructed us that we weren't going to read the whole thing, we were just going to go over the first sentence or two and then sign the document.

I proceeded to read the document and found the very first paragraph stating that I had completed training that I had not, in fact, completed. I brought it up with the trainer and she said that training was not available. I said, well then how can I sign saying that I've done it? She said, if I don't sign, I can't go on to the next aspect of training. The part I had concerns about is just not done anymore, and the document was never changed. I suggested I could write on the document to change it.

Then I read further down the page. The page was an entire checklist of things -- already checked -- saying we had done things we had not done. We hadn't done ANY OF THEM. And she wanted us to sign off saying we had done them.

And she insisted that I wouldn't be able to leave Cornerstone and go on to my week of being partnered with a trainer unless I signed the document.

Finally, through a combination of her giving me (and me alone) some of the training indicated, and us both initialing alterations I made to the document indicating the things I was not able to do, we got me to the point where I was able to sign the document.

However, I'm extremely upset and disappointed by this inappropriate behavior of her having a document that she knew perfectly well was not accurate, and not only trying to get us to sign it, but specifically trying to get us to sign it *without reading it* well enough to notice that it was a falsehood from top to bottom. She hasn't asked us to skip reading any other document in the class. This was a fully-aware act in bad faith. An act of poor integrity, on her part and most likely her boss as well.

Being an employee three days in, I have no idea who I should bring this up with, and whether or not I'll be setting myself up to get released before the end of probation if I do make an issue of it.

Make sure you rock the boat and get a reputation before being there a week. I am sure that will make a good impression

Box Ox

whether or not I'll be setting myself up to get released before the end of probation if I do make an issue of it.

Yes. New meat is even more worthless to the company than proven meat. No problem kicking you to the curb for anything. You could potentially be a pain in their butts for years. Save it for now.

T

Turdferguson

yTkpdKexc.jpeg

kingOFchester

I'm a brand new hire, and I have a concern about the behavior of my class'................

The longer I am a member of the Big Brown circus, the more I realize that there is a ton of smoke and mirrors used to make the show go on. EXAMPLE: Yearly Hazmat training is nothing more then an "instructor" giving you the answers as the instructional video we are suppose to be watching is muted in the background. There are many many examples of these illusions that UPS likes to have on record incase something happens.

Its a choice you will have to make, go along with the band and strut like everyone else, or find another place of employment. Stirring the pot will get you nowhere at Big Brown..... during probationary stage anyways.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the OP: I applaud your integrity; however, with only 3 days in, you would be best served to let this slide. UPS can let you go for any reason at all within your first 30 days.

However, if you insist upon reporting this, you would do that through your local HR person.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Welcome to the ups world. They give you the answers to everything. For your whole career. Just shove the paper work on. When you learn what's important or not. Then you throw out half of it. Especially when they want you to sign the worthless papers.

UPSGUY72

You might as well just start looking for another job as your employment with UPS is going to be short....

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm still confused, we train new employees? They tell me after going over a safe work method they should be good to go.

For those of you ready to pounce, I'm being sarcastic. Sadly only slightly.