Seriously, How do you obtain a hand cart for your package car?

T

Turdferguson

It is my opinion that every driver needs to have access to one in case it is needed during the day.
What criteria do you use to determine that you either need one or not on a given day?
Sincerely,
I
There is no criteria to determine if you will or will not need a hand cart. As part of the drivers pre trip inspection you need to make sure you have everything you will need, or could need through out the day. i.e a hand cart could be needed . So make sure you have one. If you don't, get one ,or have a supervisor get one for you. It is the same as delivery notices , or D.R bags.
Courage
Turd

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Hand trucks are really none of your concern.

In my center it is up to the driver to make sure he/she has the equipment that they need to do their job, including a hand cart. Most of us have used a Sharpie to write our last names on the plate just below the handle. New carts are snapped up almost as soon as they come off the truck.
Did you know that WD-40 removes permanent marker(Sharpie) ink? I keep a can in my truck.:hapydancsmil:I also have my hand cart locked inside my truck. With 300 trucks in my building, if they aren't secured, they get gone quickly.

T

Turdferguson

According to the contract all the driver has to do is request that the package car they use be equipped with a hand cart. The package car should then have a hand cart installed securely in the required hand cart mounting brackets.
I personally recommend that this request be put in writing.
Sincerely,
I
Really? All a driver has to do is ask?
Is that all they have to do to get rid of excessive overtime too? Ask. Is that all they have to do to stop harassment from management too? Ask. The contract states that too does it not. Life out at UPS doesn't work that way Integrity. You fight , scratch, and claw for the things you have at UPS. They don't just give you things because you ask nicely.
Courage
Turd

O

OLDMAN3

We had a driver who was a bodybuilder 6' 2" 250 lbs. scary big arms and shoulders.
He wrote on his cart...
"This is Tony's cart... If you take it I will find you"
I don't think anyone touched that cart.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Do you want to know how to keep a hand cart from being stolen............

We went through a dry spell once when the center manager wasn't allowed to order any new carts.

The mechanic drilled a one inch hole through the 4000 shelf and I brought in a short piece of 1/4 inch chain and a Master lock.

Problem solved.

Rainman

Its all good.
We went through a dry spell once when the center manager wasn't allowed to order any new carts.

The mechanic drilled a one inch hole through the 4000 shelf and I brought in a short piece of 1/4 inch chain and a Master lock.

Problem solved.
Bolt cutters fix that real quick. I've had chains cut so many times I've lost count. Thick cable locks work better. If you can get the cover drivers to lock it back when they run your route.

S

selfcancelsignal

Handcart mounting brackets???? While loading a package car, I will place in the doorway and at the end of the sort place it upright in front of the 4000 shelf. If the driver supplied a bungee cord to hold it - great. I never heard of mounting brackets...
Wouldn't it be great if they were just strapped to the front of your PC, like certain semis around your city or town?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Bolt cutters fix that real quick. I've had chains cut so many times I've lost count. Thick cable locks work better. If you can get the cover drivers to lock it back when they run your route.

Lol! It wasn't that bad here. Pretty much just a deterrent to make the crook look for an easier heist.

Cover drivers were on their own on that route.

rod

Retired 22 years
All I know about 2 wheeled carts is that if you get stuck in the snow and you throw one under your P800's duals to gain some traction---it :censored2:s them up.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
All I know about 2 wheeled carts is that if you get stuck in the snow and you throw one under your P800's duals to gain some traction---it :censored2:s them up.

Wish I could identify but, we stay home where it's warm when there's 1/8 inch or more snow on the ground here.

Sent using a Potato