service cross

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TooTechie, Sep 13, 2013.

1. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I've recently noticed that everyone in my center seems to make the service cross differently.

I was trained to start on the top left then go around clockwise but no one else seems to do it that way.

Just out of curiosity... For the date initials reason time.... How do you make yours?

2. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

If I have 3 send agains for the same stop all 3 are in different order. It matters not.

3. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Date, Initial, Reason, Time or DIRT for you newbies as I was trained starting with the upper left of the cross. However, I always do reason, time, date, initial. Not sure why but just the way it goes.

4. brownmonster

​Some were trained to put the stop number in there as well.

5. Johney

I did hear that once.

6. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Funny how everyone does it differently.

7. brownmonster

In my 3 day driving school back in 88 they taught us a straight line method. Didn't see the service cross until actually on a car with a Supe.

8. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Nowadays it seems just putting reason is good enough.

9. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. They always seem to have the new PAL label over it anyways the next day.

10. Johney

You mean they don't put it right over the tracking number like they do here?

11. brownmonster

It really is kind of pointless. Back in the day this is how you knew if it was a send again. Now they just get unloaded with the pickup pieces and the barcode sends it back to your truck the next day.

12. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

No my service crosses get covered by the PAL as well. Drives me bonkers.

mine service crosses change every time. from the upper left hand corner, clockwise, it's usually Reason, initials, date, time. Also in my reason I always circle the attempt number.

13. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

I never put the time on my service crosses. I'm the only person that sees them that can make any sense of them. I don't see much need to tell myself what time I got there the day before. I would however, put the time on if, Ihad prior knowledge someone else would be covering my route the next day. That way, when they get there 1.5 hours after I did, said cover driver could wonder in amazement, my personal awesomeness.

14. brownmonster

Or more than likely, what the hell does the bid driver do all morning?

15. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I do mine different all the time, even if I do the same package, I do it different every time.

Kind of waiting for someone to notice.

16. brownmonster

​Sadly there was a time not long ago when the service cross was audited. Maybe someone should come along and audit service.

17. Crazy Diamond

No one will notice, save for the desk jockey that audits your car when you RTB. Even then, there's a solid chance he won't really understand how to read it.

18. LP wanted to rip your head off....because you forgot to write doen name,time or date!

19. OVERBOARD

OVERBOARD Active Member

This is the way I was taught by the On Car Sup who trained me. The only difference is now we are told to put the service cross threw the PAL. I've also seen it done many other ways.

IMG_0938 - Copy.jpg

20. Crazy Diamond

looks like your building has that "revolutionary" new small sort system too. I love it when they spray that pink ink on the plastic back side of an envelope so to smears and becomes unreadable, or better yet when it spays onto the black ink of a consignee generated label so perfectly that, the letter "B" looks exactly like the the letter "E".

UPS 101: Hey, this isn't broken, how can we throw a buttload of money at it and break it at the same time?