service cross

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've recently noticed that everyone in my center seems to make the service cross differently.

I was trained to start on the top left then go around clockwise but no one else seems to do it that way.

Just out of curiosity... For the date initials reason time.... How do you make yours?

top left reason top right initials bottom right date. Rarely bother with the time.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It really is kind of pointless. Back in the day this is how you knew if it was a send again. Now they just get unloaded with the pickup pieces and the barcode sends it back to your truck the next day.

Yeah, I actually got pulled aside after a PCM this morning and told that on a business stop one of the 4 packages on a send again was a CL1, not a CL2 as the rest of the packages were and I showed up on a report...excuse the hell out of me but A) I can put CL3 or CL10 on the package and if I don't give it to the clerk it's coming as a send again anyway so it doesn't matter which attempt# was put in the diad. B) I'm the one who gives it to the clerk once it has had 3 attempts so if I accidentally put CL2 in the board it doesn't matter as I can see how many attempts I've made on the physical package...

Brownslave688

No my service crosses get covered by the PAL as well. Drives me bonkers.

mine service crosses change every time. from the upper left hand corner, clockwise, it's usually Reason, initials, date, time. Also in my reason I always circle the attempt number.

EXACTLY HOW I WAS TRAINED!!! As stated before skip the time now.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
EXACTLY HOW I WAS TRAINED!!! As stated before skip the time now.

I just came out of driver school 9 months ago and we were trained DIRT (Date, Initials, Reason, Time) and then on-car trained it the same. If there has been a change where we don't put the time or put it on the pal (dumb because the new pal sticker should be put over the old pal sticker the next day) I haven't received the memo ;)

Brownslave688

I would like some of the older guys to explain y time was ever even included? Since the Diad it's all time stamped now so whats it matter.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Who really gives a flying leap at a rolling doughnut what the order is? At least you give an indication that the package was attempted.

Johney

I would like some of the older guys to explain y time was ever even included? Since the Diad it's all time stamped now so whats it matter.
I especially add the time so when I go back the next day and they say "I was home all day!" I look at the package and tell them "You weren't here at 11:05!":wink2:

You know you've been around UPS too long when you're labeling boxes for storage at your house and you put service crosses on them.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I especially add the time so when I go back the next day and they say "I was home all day!" I look at the package and tell them "You weren't here at 11:05!":wink2:

This is exactly why the time is to be marked on the service cross. Also when customers call in to complain and saying they were home all day blah blah blah and then the OMS or clerk can tell them the driver was there at "11:05" and then hear the customer reply with a "oh, yeah. I forgot I stepped out for a few minutes to have a bunion removed."

Cementups

Box Monkey
That other service cross is way wrong. What's the point in having four corners if you will only ever use three?
Another thing that aggrevates m is drivers who make THREE seperate crosses. UGH!!

Here is an example of mine after three days:

S

serenity now

we have a couple of rookies who use every quadrant of the cross with each attempt * don't know who taught them that; drives me crazy

Indecisi0n

Best cross I've seen so far.

tumblr_inline_mp6f72eb8W1qz4rgp.jpg