Set up for failure or not?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Employees will be come discouraged if their employer sets them up for failure?

In what ways has UPS set you up for failure or not?

As for I, accepted hypocrisy has been the most challenging aspect of working for UPS.

Sincerely,
I

Returntosender

My management team expects me to perform at an elite level. PCM's "Come on guys we can do better, if everyone does just a little more things will go more smoothly." While they're performance is mediocre. Messing up on weekly paycheck "short hours", vacation check not paid till after vacation is taken. Not following yard control rules. The package is leaking paint, it's ok just put in a tote and continue working "Don't touch leave area, notify sup "To paraphrase Russell Edgington from True Blood "Notify supervisor" "In the name of my *****"

curiousbrain

As for I, accepted hypocrisy has been the most challenging aspect of working for UPS.

Sincerely,
I

Is this really a serious question? If so, I am forced to ask (and I am sorry for being so blunt): what friend*ing company do you work for? Honestly ... either admit you don't work for UPS, or get with the program.

In answer to your question: everyone at this company is set up for failure - some just don't realize it yet.

kingOFchester

First I would have to define succeeding in the UPS world. Here is what I would consider a success:

1) Being able to stand proud in front of a customer that also ships with UPS knowing that I am delivering their product roughly at the same time every day.
Set up to fail here as I am forced to deliver at all hours between 10 and 5 do to add cuts.

2) Making service on all packages in my EDD.
Set up to fail as the preloaders are given little training and so some packages get loaded into the wrong truck that is 20 miles away. Result, missed piece.

3) Getting all airs off on time.
Set up to fail do to being sent out with to many airs that is impossible to make service on.

I really could go on, but my mind and body is shot for the day.

packageguy

Sincerely,
I

I am starting to think this is a joke, as soon as I get into the truck overweights by the front door can not get to my airs, and if I do I there not all there. Then cutting out routes getting someone else commercial, trying to make service working like an ass***e. Talking about failure, Do I need to go on ..........

P.S. PRELOAD SUPERVISOR A joke.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't let others define failure or success for me. I do that.

I don't recall UPS setting me up for failure but I do adapt to changing conditions so maybe adapting is the key.

packageguy

I don't let others define failure or success for me. I do that.

I don't recall UPS setting me up for failure but I do adapt to changing conditions so maybe adapting is the key.

I try to adapt everyday, but day after day working like an ass***e. asking preload for help. to only hear suck it up

Integrity

Binge Poster
Is this really a serious question? If so, I am forced to ask (and I am sorry for being so blunt): what friend*ing company do you work for? Honestly ... either admit you don't work for UPS, or get with the program.

In answer to your question: everyone at this company is set up for failure - some just don't realize it yet.
brownbaggin,

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but is it safe to say that you feel UPS sets you up for failure?

In what ways?

Sincerely,
I

DS

Fenderbender
Doctors have to take the hippocratic oath.To promise to apply their knowledge
to their best ability in aid to all who need help.
Sups have to take the hypocratic oath. To promise to do what's best for the company,
regardless if they think it's right or wrong.

Packmule

Promising NDA 1030 delivery in extreme rural locations that are impossible to reach myself, and not providing the air drivers we were promised.
Rolling back start times day in and day out, robbing us of the time we need to get NDA off because they are too cheap to pay preloaders enough to keep them working for us.
Overloading the truck because they want to cut a route, but having no plan to get the regular pickups back in time to make the feeders, much less the origin NDA they stupidly committed on my out of town route.
Sending us out on days when a severe ice storm has caused even FedEx to call off the day. You literally could not stand up on a sidewalk anywhere in the city due to ice, much less drive safely.
On and on and on. Today's management is probably the most unrealistic bunch I've ever seen in 34 years. If we don't get rid of some of them, this company is in serious trouble.

gostillerz

Let's see.
One day last week, the first 50 business stops of my day were spa'd to the 5000/6000 section while residential stops were in the 1000's.

Another day, I wasn't going to make it back in time for the air car, let them know around 4. I was told to leave my air in a letterbox. Told them I have over 70 packages that are air. Then told to take them to another place that I pickup from that another guy in a different center picks up an hour later. I said I don't think they'd like me leaving that many packages in a dentist's office. Got the pm shuttles number, and met up to give him my air. That took him 30 minutes, so I don't even know if he got to the airport in time.

Last peak. I run all businesses from 8-3, bulk pickups until 5, then maybe 90 resi stops in a 700. I told them the pickups are really bad today, and I won't be able to deliver the house stops unless someone comes and takes these off. Said they'd send someone. By 6, nobody came so I delivered whatever boxes I could reach. Came back with 85 missed.

I don't know what it's like at other centers, but they can't even coordinate the 5 people needed for local sort.

Over9.5

Drivers are continually set up for failure. Unrealistic stop counts. Truck jam packed as if it is December 23rd in June, July ....August...actually just pick a month any of them will do. Bad loads. Airs in load. Average 3-5 misroutes per day. Over 9.5 , four out of five days a week. Start time moved back allowing no time to run ground with air, making your day even longer. Supervisors acting as if the 30 additional stops added to your route within the last year should make no difference in the time it takes you to run it. Being exhausted by the time Thursday rolls around from working over 9.5 the previous 3 days. Having to dig through the pile in the back of your truck to try to find the 2 missing pieces, not even knowing if they are on your truck, because the misloads are so bad. Hmmm.....did I miss anything?