Setting an example...

undies

Management can try to set an example by disciplining someone over some seriously bogus stuff. It bothers me to no end. Every few months or at least once a year someone has to "get fired" for something to make people aware. To me, this only unites us as union brothers and makes our resolve that much stronger to stand our ground and keep fighting against stupid dispatches and unfair discipline.

If your going to fire someone, at least make it a disliked employee, not a loved and respected member of the union that all other employees go to for wisdom. /rantoff

barnyard

KTM rider
If they do not want the firing to stick, firing a very-unliked person will not achieve the results they are looking for.

When we 1st got telematics, they called the highest seniority guy into the office to talk about 10+ minutes of time he sat idling with no delivery. He said that he pulled over to answer a phone call, he was asked why he did not punch out on break and given a warning letter for not punching out on break.

It took less than an hour for the entire building to know what happened. Had it been an unliked driver, I do not think it would have generated near the discussion, I also do not think it would have changed any behavior. I am positive there were others doing the same and seeing that guy get a warning letter, they quit doing it.

oldngray

nowhere special
If they do not want the firing to stick, firing a very-unliked person will not achieve the results they are looking for.

When we 1st got telematics, they called the highest seniority guy into the office to talk about 10+ minutes of time he sat idling with no delivery. He said that he pulled over to answer a phone call, he was asked why he did not punch out on break and given a warning letter for not punching out on break.

It took less than an hour for the entire building to know what happened. Had it been an unliked driver, I do not think it would have generated near the discussion, I also do not think it would have changed any behavior. I am positive there were others doing the same and seeing that guy get a warning letter, they quit doing it.

Even before temematics if you had more than 10 minutes between stops it would show up on a report. I knew a driver who got fired for talking on phone too long without coding it as a break (he was going through a divorce and under a lot of stress) before telematics but DIAD still tracked his time. He did get his job back but it was just another example of the compassion at UPS.

We had a new guy,been there maybe a week.
They had him on a conference call,for too many backs.

He is still working,but looking for a new job. doubt he will be here for peak.

They are spending,tons of money on training.

Very little return.

Even before temematics if you had more than 10 minutes between stops it would show up on a report. I knew a driver who got fired for talking on phone too long without coding it as a break (he was going through a divorce and under a lot of stress) before telematics but DIAD still tracked his time. He did get his job back but it was just another example of the compassion at UPS.
Your mother died? can you come In tmorrow? we are short handed!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They forget....what did you do for me,yesterday.

At the same time,the newbies do not want to work.

11 out of the last 15 quit,within 3 weeks. lmao

Its gonna be a long peak.
Oh yeah...we can barely hold on to our seasonals..they hire these guys off the street...promise them the world and then abuse them. And these guys have no clue what they got themselves into!

Nobody on the outside understands how hard drivers actually work...you're all just a bunch of lazy, overpaid Teamsters who drive around in a truck all day.

Oh yeah...we can barely hold on to our seasonals..they hire these guys off the street...promise them the world and then abuse them. And these guy have no clue what they got themselves into!

Nobody on the outside understands how hard drivers actually work...you're all just a bunch of lazy, overpaid Teamsters who drive around in a truck all day.
And we got retired sups,training the new guys.

They were not any good while working. guess they got better with age.

Throwing good money,after bad.

BrownTexas

The sole reason I got fired. I bucked up to them and they found anything they could get me for. By firing me, even though it won't stick, makes all the younger drivers think "he was doing things way better than me, and they still got him."

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I hate to say it guys but...UPS was well within their rights to discipline people for stealing time...even if it was in poor taste. It doesn't take clarity to know that a call longer than 10 minutes with no movement is a problem. Even with the divorcee driver. I've been through a divorce and yeah it's not an easy time...but it's not an excuse for the action. That being said, they could have asked him if they could adjust his time instead of being dickish about it...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I hate to say it guys but...UPS was well within their rights to discipline people for stealing time...even if it was in poor taste. It doesn't take clarity to know that a call longer than 10 minutes with no movement is a problem. Even with the divorcee driver. I've been through a divorce and yeah it's not an easy time...but it's not an excuse for the action. That being said, they could have asked him if they could adjust his time instead of being dickish about it...
You are assuming that telematics reports are 100% accurate in saying "well within the rights to discipline", or in this case, terminate. How about, well within the rights to investigate?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have also gone through a divorce and was able to handle everything through e-mail and the occasional office visit before work.

Ron Carey lives on

Stealing time? They are " Johnny on the spot on hourlys. Takes ab act of congress to get a sup jammed up for shaving time off part timers" barely above poverty". My payroll sup got his mind right fri. He asks every Thurs " everyone' s check ok" . With my documentation he is a hair away from unemployment. Nothing worse than a thief or lair

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
You are assuming that telematics reports are 100% accurate in saying "well within the rights to discipline", or in this case, terminate. How about, well within the rights to investigate?

Which in my building they did. They asked the guy why he was sitting for so long and he told them.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Time between stops isn't telematics. They've been able to do that since the DIAD I. And just because they can't get you on a telematics call doesn't make it right in any way shape or form. Like I said, I don't think something like that should be fireable offense the first time. Especially if it's under special circumstances.