Setting someone up to fail

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
There is a new hire who is about 60 years old on the pick next to mine (preload). The dude is obviously old and not as quick as 20 something's that are on my line. During his first day the pt sup was on this dudes ass to go faster like you wouldn't believe. When it was last cage he was obviously screwed, and made a mess on the line with all the packages. Apparently he had 5 misloads.

Next day he is on the slide and I spent about 10 minutes there today while my cages were light. Same sup is telling this dude to speed up and berating him in front of the half dozen of us on the slide a few times during the 10 minutes I was there.

So my question is: do they set up people to fail? My first thought was "they really don't have an easier job for this guy to do?" why would they throw a 60 year old guy on a pick when there is 100 other jobs he can be doing? Has anyone ever seen something like this? It really rubbed me the wrong way

The sup in question is easily the most easy going and decent person I've met there, which is why it was more confusing.

PT Car Washer

There is a new hire who is about 60 years old on the pick next to mine (preload). The dude is obviously old and not as quick as 20 something's that are on my line. During his first day the pt sup was on this dudes ass to go faster like you wouldn't believe. When it was last cage he was obviously screwed, and made a mess on the line with all the packages. Apparently he had 5 misloads.

Next day he is on the slide and I spent about 10 minutes there today while my cages were light. Same sup is telling this dude to speed up and berating him in front of the half dozen of us on the slide a few times during the 10 minutes I was there.

So my question is: do they set up people to fail? My first thought was "they really don't have an easier job for this guy to do?" why would they throw a 60 year old guy on a pick when there is 100 other jobs he can be doing? Has anyone ever seen something like this? It really rubbed me the wrong way

The sup in question is easily the most easy going and decent person I've met there, which is why it was more confusing.
Wow, your building must really be desperate for help. I remember back in the 90's UPS had a van to go around and pick up people for the Midnight sort.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yup....break him and make him quit in a week, or he wants/needs the job bad enough that he'll take it and come back for more. It's the ups management way.

DOK

Good way to get someone injured.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
This is a litigious society and everyone wants a piece of the pie. Yes there are easier jobs but show some favoritism and there will be lawsuits. Set the guy up to fail and this happens:
  • he quits
  • he performs better
  • he fails and is terminated
It's a win / win for the company even though it is still a form of bullying in the workplace that is harder to prove.

Returntosender

This is a litigious society and everyone wants a piece of the pie. Yes there are easier jobs but show some favoritism and there will be lawsuits. Set the guy up to fail and this happens:
  • he quits
  • he performs better
  • he fails and is terminated
It's a win / win for the company even though it is still a form of bullying in the workplace that is harder to prove.
sometimes I wonder how much money they spend to hire, background check to only lose them within weeks of hire.