Setting up ORION correctly

Orion is totally new to me and our center. The "ORION TEAM" has arrived, WHAT ARE KEY POINTS AND INFO that a driver must give the team that will keep them from giving them a load that is almost impossible to deliver. We are pretty much maxed out, and some drivers are gaining 10-20 stops. How can this be prevented when setting up a route on ORION?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Explain why you do things a certain way. The program doesn't look at certain things. It may save miles running back and forth across a road, but it doesn't make sense safety wise. Stuff like that. The more info they have going into it, the better they can make it.

O

OLDMAN3

WHAT ARE KEY POINTS AND INFO that a driver must give the team
Key point: You are on the 9.5 list
Key info: You will file every time you have a 9.5 violation.

You can try to get them to input your businesses that close early.
But if it messes up the projected "solution" they will not input them.

Not worth all the hassle trying to fix a broken system, just file.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grey

The only thing ORION does to benefit me is mapping out my air when I'm blind. Other than I literally never use it.

ArcherUTR

Understand that the Traveling Salesman problem can not be solved with computers. Tricks can be used to come up with decent solutions. But first of all you don't drive a magical u-turn truck. You don't back up. You take an hour lunch break. You don't park on thoroughfares and walk off stops. You let them know what time businesses stop accepting packages or close. You try to get your pickup run as accurate and as efficient as possible (this and your time-allowance will have the greatest affect). You work safely at a brisk pace using the UPS methods.

Anything other than that politely tell your ORION OJS rider to stop talking while you are driving. It is a safety distraction. Pull the car over to a safe point if he wants to discuss things with you.

Possibly turn on your cellphone audio recorder if you feel like your safety or job is being compromised.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A) Tell him how you do your route and WHY you do it that way.

B) Show him EVERY street that you will not cross the road for a delivery. They don't want to waste $2.50 gallon of gas but want to risk your priceless body. friend'EM !! They want to play the safety risk card, YOU DO THE SAME.

C) Make sure you're route is setup so that you can have a comfortable experience at lunchtime. Why be in the woods at 1pm when you can be near a restaurant, convenience store, etc.

D) All the things they promise their going to fix after the ride is never going to get done. Do your route the way you know it should be done, but make sure you have an excuse why if they question you.

Bottom rung

Explain why you do things a certain way. The program doesn't look at certain things. It may save miles running back and forth across a road, but it doesn't make sense safety wise. Stuff like that. The more info they have going into it, the better they can make it.
It's not about miles. It's all about production. The sooner you realize your getting more work until you get on the 9.5 list the better off you'll be. Just go and do your job the way you always have. All the stuff you tell them about your route won't matter as they won't implement the info, because it won't make their plan save as much.

moldsporh

Get on the 9.5 list now, when they ride with you tell him you may not get all the airs off, only tell them once.

Follow orion 100%, when your last air is late the ride is over.

Orion is an epic fail.

HardknocksUPSer

Orion is at my center currently, and it's :censored2:ing stupid. Can anyone tell me how long the Orion team normally stays at a center before leaving? Guy at my center had off 60 stops in the time he has off 90 stops usually, also had him zig zagging down a 2 or 3 lane stretch of town taking left turns into oncoming traffic out the ass.

Grey

Get on the 9.5 list now, when they ride with you tell him you may not get all the airs off, only tell them once.

Follow orion 100%, when your last air is late the ride is over.

Orion is an epic fail.

Sometimes it's not possible. Like on a heavy buisness route but ORION has you zig zagging between buisness and resi. Unless I push by my lunch till 5-530 I'm risking not getting my buisness done before my PU's start at 345. Following RDO is the only way on some routes.

moldsporh

Sometimes it's not possible. Like on a heavy buisness route but ORION has you zig zagging between buisness and resi. Unless I push by my lunch till 5-530 I'm risking not getting my buisness done before my PU's start at 345. Following RDO is the only way on some routes.

When you follow it 100%, take your lunch between your 4th and 6th hour, they will make adjustments, and there will be a cover driver working instead of being sent home.

We were making it work ourselves before, only the knuckleheads were screwing it up. Now they want all of us to work in some make believe fashion that the designers could never do if their life depended on it.

They made this bed....not us.

Tell them you won't make service on everything and you may miss pickups.

If they ask why, tell them you are hungry and would like to take lunch during your normal human lunch hours...not the robotic after work lunch hour.

What time does your DM or center manager eat lunch?

I doubt it's at the end of the day, and they are sitting down

Overpaid Union Thug

Orion is totally new to me and our center. The "ORION TEAM" has arrived, WHAT ARE KEY POINTS AND INFO that a driver must give the team that will keep them from giving them a load that is almost impossible to deliver. We are pretty much maxed out, and some drivers are gaining 10-20 stops. How can this be prevented when setting up a route on ORION?

If your center's DOLs are jacked up then you should definitely tell them that they don't have any business being there. ORION is garbage with good DOLs. Even worse with friend*ed up DOLs. And if your PDS sucks then tell them to leave and maybe try back in 10-15 years after the PDS has been demoted or has died from chain smoking.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Heard the same crap when PAS came in.

bham brown

Orion is wonderful... If you like going down the same road 3 or 4 times to get it all delivered. It's also great at sending you to a stop to deliver one air pkg and coming back later to deliver the ground. After all you need that extra time to go deliver a residential that you will pass later on in the day as well.

moldsporh

I like driving past an air stop to deliver another air stop, only to come back and make a left turn across the highway to del what should have been the first stop. Then go back past the first stop I did to deliver a ground in a resi area,.to leave the resis to del a ground business, then go del a few more airs to finish up at my 2nd air stop I did to start delivering the grounds.

Then the next day they whine about idle time and how we should have 30 min.

30 min is crazy short, they shouldn't even begin to show concern until 1 hour of idle time....to many variables.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

You will spend days giving well intended information on how the route is best run. The ORION team will spend days setting up your route. Somebody somewhere will erase all the changes made, just to minimize miles, ignoring every service commitment, every safety method. Don't even try to offer advice on how to fix it.