Sexualized culture

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Aren't you all about Free Speech? What if Ronald had been depicted holding an AR15 and saying "Shoot Obama"? You wouldn't have an issue with that "obcsenity".

Umm. You're missing the point of the thread. It has nothing to do with art OR free speech and definitely nothing to do with guns.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Umm. You're missing the point of the thread. It has nothing to do with art OR free speech and definitely nothing to do with guns.

Maybe. The OP found the image offensive because it was "sexualized". Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. That's my point. If my daughter saw this, I'd explain it as being someone's artistic interpretation and not freak out about it. I don't find it tasteful either, but who am I to judge?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe. The OP found the image offensive because it was "sexualized". Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. That's my point. If my daughter saw this, I'd explain it as being someone's artistic interpretation and not freak out about it. I don't find it tasteful either, but who am I to judge?
Maybe the question is...."who am I to tell my daughter this is crap?"..............her father, that's who!!!

bbsam

Staff member
It seems we have a bunch of folks who have suddenly become prudish. Go ahead and laugh at Ronald. It's funny. Hell, I walk around all day with my mind half a step away from the gutter and from my experience most people's minds don't have to be led far to meet me there.;)

wkmac

Looking at the pic of Ronald in the OP, seems to me this is more a commentary on marketing than anything.

Most marketing these days are more about a mind Fvk than anything else. If Ronald is about kids, then the purpose of Ronald is to use kids to get at the parent's wallet.

Mr.Golden

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1427070045.891474.jpg

How bad can it be?

Indecisi0n

View attachment 32002

I saw this picture and my first reaction is to laugh. Then I think, WTH? Why do people feel the need to sexualize children's characters?

I realize most of you are men and probably a lot of you have daughters. Have you ever tried taking a fully developed 12 year old daughter swimsuit shopping? It's a nightmare and very frustrating. Everything is so sexualized now. And now Ronald McDonald (which I hate by the way. Lol). Are we at the point where nothing is off limits?

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Now I'm hungry.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe the question is...."who am I to tell my daughter this is crap?"..............her father, that's who!!!

Nope. I let my daughter decide what she finds offensive. Unlike you, I want my child to develop their own sense of what's tasteful or not. I'd certainly tell her I wasn't fond of it, but that it was up to her if she found it disgusting.

Indecisi0n

Nope. I let my daughter decide what she finds offensive. Unlike you, I want my child to develop their own sense of what's tasteful or not. I'd certainly tell her I wasn't fond of it, but that it was up to her if she found it disgusting.
I agree. If she wants to dress like a slut it's her right and to our benefit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree. If she wants to dress like a slut it's her right and to our benefit.

I'd be disappointed, because that wouldn't be what I have tried to ingrain in her. However, when I see your wife at the bar, she still looks bad, even with it all hanging out.

moreluck

golden ticket member
And that's the problem with today's kids.....permissiveness!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It seems we have a bunch of folks who have suddenly become prudish. Go ahead and laugh at Ronald. It's funny. Hell, I walk around all day with my mind half a step away from the gutter and from my experience most people's minds don't have to be led far to meet me there.;)

Trust me, I'm only prudish when it comes to my kids. Childhood goes by in a flash. Why do we need to rush them to adulthood, is my point? And no, I'm not one of those parents who has their kids on lockdown.