SFA Results Are In - Epic Fail

chrisgumm

One of the measures that I pay the most attention to each year is our Survey/Feedback/Action ratings. Our FY14 SFA results were tabulated late last week and we have spent a few days already this week analyzing them in order to develop this communication. After six consecutive years of record-breaking or record-tying results, our SFA indices dipped in FY14 in the U.S., APAC, Canada and LAC. Our overall SFA results in EMEA did improve in FY14, and I congratulate that team for managing through the challenges of an aggressive expansion effort in their region.

These results tell us that the high volume of changes and the impact of cost reduction actions over the past year have had an unsettling effect on a significant percentage of our people. (YOU THINK?)I can tell you that work has already begun to understand root causes and develop action plans at the company level. (GET READY TO REALLY BE SCREWED)The main purpose of this communication is to assure you, and every one of your team members, that we remain( REMAIN? WHEN DID THEY EVER LISTEN TO US IN THE FIRST PLACE) committed to listening to your concerns, learning from your feedback, and acting upon the issues you raise(THIS I KNOW PERSONALLY UNLESS YOU CONTACT A VICE PRESIDENT OR HIGHER AND DON'T GET IN TROUBLE FOR GOING OVER HEADS). Today begins that process for the entire FedEx Express management team.CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS!
Shortly, you will receive an email from the SFA Team with instructions on how to access SFA results for your workgroup from the new SFA system. In its first year of use, the new SFA system has performed well. In particular, adding an importance rating to the survey will give us more information with which to conduct our feedback sessions and develop our action plans. The reports and tools in the new system will help you analyze your results more thoroughly and write more effective action plans than ever before with your teams. This year, those plans are more important than ever.

As we’ve said throughout the year, FY14 was a period of tremendous change for FedEx Express. It was the first full year of a multi-year effort to transform our company in response to fundamental shifts in the air cargo business. By any measure, it has been a very challenging year. Whether it was voluntary buyout departures and reorganizations in our U.S. staff groups, facility closings, budget cuts and widespread schedule changes in our U.S. operation, unprecedented winter weather in North America and Europe, or complicated acquisition integrations in LAC, I am well aware of the challenges faced by our worldwide team over the past year.

While these SFA results point to a number of areas where we can and will improve our work environment, I want to make it clear that I’m extremely proud of our frontline managers for working with great dedication and effort through a difficult year.(PUPPETS BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS WITHOUT 20 OK'S) Our Leadership Index ratings, which measure the direct relationship between managers and their teams, are still the strongest area of our SFA results(CAN YOU SAY NUMBER FIXING). I am asking every manager in the company to use the strong relationship you have built with your team to develop an action plan that effectively addresses the issues that are within your control.

I recognize that a number of our employees’ issues – and the SFA categories where our results need the most improvement -- are not within the direct control of frontline managers(NO :censored2:!)Issues like pay, benefits, allocation of resources, rules and procedures and the overall pace of change in our company must be worked on by the senior leadership of the company for improvements to be realized. You have my commitment that work will be done.

In the year ahead, I don’t expect the air cargo market realities that are necessitating our transformation efforts to subside, and those transformation efforts must continue if we are to compete effectively in a changing market into the future. I do expect us, as a company and as a leadership team, to get better at managing the impact of this transformation on our people. That starts with your feedback sessions and SFA action plans in the next few weeks. Please join me in making the commitment to actively work for improvement on these issues for our employees throughout FY15.

David J. Bronczek
President & Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Express

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can assure you that if the numbers you are seeing are bad, the real numbers are abysmal. I think that they realize that nobody is going to believe good numbers, so they've dropped them somewhat, but nowhere near where they actually are, which is in the toilet.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They're lying about the SFA numbers, just like they lie about everything else. Also, they're not gonna allocate any time to fix anything. Why that would cost Fred money.

David J. Bronczek
FedEx Express - 3rd man/BS artist

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They're lying about the SFA numbers, just like they lie about everything else. Also, they're not gonna allocate anytime to fix anything. Why that would cost Fred money.

David J. Bronczek
FedEx Express - 3rd man BS artist

Exactly. I fully expect a double-dose of BBQ and excuses...just like always. I also think that Matt's days as point person are coming to an end. FedEx won't replace Thornton with Bronczek, because they need to show they are "diverse", even when they aren't.

Mr. Bronczek...you have my commitment to call you out as a lying, steaming sack of dog crap who will do anything to tap dance around the real problem at FedEx...piss poor upper management that only cares about enriching themselves and pumping-up the stock value. FU, Mr. Bronczek!!

Cactus

Must have been really bad at my sta. My manager is already planning meetings to address SFA.
He'll spend a solid 20 minutes on it at best. He'll do all the talking, leaving no time for questions, let alone any solutions then promise a follow up meeting which will never happen unless his ass is on the line.

hypo hanna

I recognize that a number of our employees’ issues – and the SFA categories where our results need the most improvement -- are not within the direct control of frontline managers. Issues like pay, benefits, allocation of resources, rules and procedures (basically, everything except the cleanliness of the bathrooms) and the overall pace of change in our company must be worked on by the senior leadership of the company for improvements to be realized. You have my commitment that work will be done....
Extra work will be required of the ops mgrs and they had better get some positive results... Or else.

Cactus

David J. Bronczek
In the year ahead, I don’t expect the air cargo market realities that are necessitating our transformation efforts to subside, and those transformation efforts must continue if we are to compete effectively in a changing market into the future.

Lets translate this:

I'm gonna use the air cargo market as a scapegoat to cover up the real problem, we really don't know what were doing, nor do we care. We'll continue to operate this company the way we always have and if that's poorly then fine, but always at the hourlies expense. We got all sorts of money to stuff our pockets and pump up the stock prices due to your hard work and it'll go from bad to worse in the new fiscal year. You can also bet we'll also be micromanaging you even harder because truthfully we enjoy it. By the way, don't even think of a raise because it's our mission to keep you poor like our idol Wal-Mart. Oh yeah, expect a record number of late freight days ahead. I know......a new low, we're (cough, cough) so ashamed.

Love,
David J. Bronczek (see 'ya at the next soy burger cookout.)

DRAisawesome

They "freight drivers" probably do in some markets. Also they top out in 3 yrs like most hourlies do at most places. There is express drivers that almost make that in markets. Just not a driver with 15 or less years.

CJinx

THIS I KNOW PERSONALLY UNLESS YOU CONTACT A VICE PRESIDENT OR HIGHER AND DON'T GET IN TROUBLE FOR GOING OVER HEADS
You can actually get away with this if you keep a paper trail as you climb the chain of command. I only got as far as the district manager's manager before the issue got addressed and I presented evidence that each level of management had the opportunity to cure starting at my manager and going up.

I can only imagine the :censored2:storm you'd bring down if you fired off an email to Fred S or someone at that level without having run the gamut of management tiers between yourself and them. lol

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can actually get away with this if you keep a paper trail as you climb the chain of command. I only got as far as the district manager's manager before the issue got addressed and I presented evidence that each level of management had the opportunity to cure starting at my manager and going up.

I can only imagine the :censored2:storm you'd bring down if you fired off an email to Fred S or someone at that level without having run the gamut of management tiers between yourself and them. lol

I know an employee who was given a letter for emailing Mr. Smith and not following the chain-of-command. It really opened his eyes. This way, Fred and Friends stay safely isolated in their ivory tower...away from the lowly hourlies.