SFA time...

vantexan

What is top rate at Fed ex? What is the progression to get it? How much vacation and sick days?

If you scroll through the posts you'll see one titled "Payscales". How much you top out at depends on which payscale you are under. When I started in '86 it took 23 months to top out but that was stretched out over the years to the point where it could possibly take 40+ years to top out. I'm a rehire at almost 13.5 years, and make $4.40hr less than topped out employees. I was making $4.27hr less until the last raise in March. That's been the case for about 4 years now, losing ground instead of catching up. The latest pay scheme which started in March is supposed to address this by speeding up time to top-out a bit, but it will still take a very long time. A newhire will receive 3% annual raises until he reaches the midway point between starting pay and top pay. He then gets 5% raises until he gets to the 4th quartile when he'll get 6% raises until he reaches top-out. The catch is that if they raise either starting or top pay then the mid-point moves up. So at 3% raises they'll be chasing the mid point and better raises for a very long time. And there's no guarantee that FedEx will even keep it's word about giving even these small raises. It's all smoke and mirrors.

A newhire will receive 2 weeks vacation after working 1 year, 3 weeks after 5 years, 4 weeks after 10 years, and 5 weeks after 20 years. 5 paid sick days a year that are paid to you as a bonus for the days you don't take.

northeast swing driver

I agree with rocketman...You have no idea of what you are getting yourself into at ups.
If indeed you get a pkg driver job,expect overzealous production expectations,extreme safety protocol,
and explaing to the center manager why you went over 9.5
Same crap different pile.

No offense but its not brain surgery

I do the job at fedex with my eyes closed. Not a hero but the place is so miserable i just want to get out of there asap every day

Its all relative. You guys have twice to three times the deliveries every day but stops are much tighter. I pull into a neighborhood and i have 2 stops and the ups guy has 7. The only issue with the job would be learning ups procedures of how they want the job done. And learning the diad. Beyond that i would have zero issues handling the job. I guarantee that.

northeast swing driver

And just to make the point clear. I think the chances are slim to none it works out. Slim to none to be kept as a permanent. and slim is halfway out the door. Union job. I know the deal. Totally fair. But at this point at my pay grade federal express is a job to nowhere. Have to take chances in life.

vantexan

And just to make the point clear. I think the chances are slim to none it works out. Slim to none to be kept as a permanent. and slim is halfway out the door. Union job. I know the deal. Totally fair. But at this point at my pay grade federal express is a job to nowhere. Have to take chances in life.
Friend of mine who used to be a FedEx courier just got on at the Post Office. He's 54 so it's possible to get into something better. Even with their troubles the Post Office still pays better with better benefits.

franknitty

management could care less if you disagree with them on the SFA. what raises a red flag is when you, the employee decline to take the SFA. I know, I dealt with four managers as to why i didn't want to take the SFA. Managers (at least the ones here) have to explain why there wasn't 100% participation from their workgroup at some point to the senior manager, district director and beyond her. so if you really wanted to stick it to your manager, you should have refused to take it ! let's not forget, "The SFA is voluntary, not mandatory" ! Your goal should be to safely pickup & delivery good service to your customers, and tell management to GO TO HADES !

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
management could care less if you disagree with them on the SFA. what raises a red flag is when you, the employee decline to take the SFA. I know, I dealt with four managers as to why i didn't want to take the SFA. Managers (at least the ones here) have to explain why there wasn't 100% participation from their workgroup at some point to the senior manager, district director and beyond her. so if you really wanted to stick it to your manager, you should have refused to take it

The best way to stick it to your manager is to take it and show him no mercy in your evaluation. Yes, managers are moved and/or asked (hee hee!) to step down into hourly positions if their SFA scores are bad enough. Your senior may also get into some hot water if your manager's score is bad enough. An employee who doesn't take the SFA doesn't hurt the manager as much as someone who gives him a poor score. A manager is scored based on the SFA's submitted, not on the ones that weren't.

northeast swing driver

The best way to stick it to your manager is to take it and show him no mercy in your evaluation. Yes, managers are moved and/or asked (hee hee!) to step down into hourly positions if their SFA scores are bad enough. Your senior may also get into some hot water if your manager's score is bad enough. An employee who doesn't take the SFA doesn't hurt the manager as much as someone who gives him a poor score. A manager is scored based on the SFA's submitted, not on the ones that weren't.

100% incorrect

way worse on a manager if he/she has employees who don't take it instead of employees who take it and bury her

my manager begs me to take it every year and knows damn well i would bury him/her on every question if i did take it.

haven't taken it in years

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
100% incorrect

way worse on a manager if he/she has employees who don't take it instead of employees who take it and bury her

my manager begs me to take it every year and knows damn well i would bury him/her on every question if i did take it.

You don't take it, you don't bury him, he's still your manager, and you still don't like him.

Sounds like a very effective plan.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
My Sr. was a CRR, then an OPS mgr., then "lost" his OPS mgr. job (a few yrs. ago when X downsized all the OPS mgrs.) and luckily got a CRR position again.

Then, went back to OPS mgr., and then SR. of two stas.

I've know the guy for almost this whole time and really like and respect him. I know this probably isn't the norm.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My Sr. was a CRR, then an OPS mgr., then "lost" his OPS mgr. job (a few yrs. ago when X downsized all the OPS mgrs.) and luckily got a CRR position again.

Then, went back to OPS mgr., and then SR. of two stas.

I've know the guy for almost this whole time and really like and respect him. I know this probably isn't the norm.

You are very fortunate. I wouldn't trust my senior any farther than I could throw him, and I have bad knees.

SmithBarney

My first SR and Ops mgr were awesome, then I moved east. My SR gave me some words when I left "they aren't as nice in the east"
truer words were never spoken. Unfortunately from the top down Folks around here are only worried about self preservation.

LTFedExer

I've had 4 1/2 SM:
Station #1
1. Preached Get off the road/clock, save hours.
2. Same station, replaced # 1...didn't care how long you were on the clock, as long as you were working/being productive.
Station #2
3. Suckup to the DM, let the managers get away with whatever they wanted. Thankfully, I had an extended route, so I rarely spoke/saw him. Eventually, it all caught up with them and he was politely asked to leave.
4. (the 1/2 part) Replaced #3....never got to know him because I transferred. But, I spoke with a courier I was close with and he said that the SM actually listened to the couriers concerns.....that was 5 years ago.
Station #3
5. Without getting into details, I have nothing bad to say about him.

This SFA was the worst I have ever given.

CJinx

I've worked for 5 senior managers so far. #1 and #2 were asked for their resignation, #3 was forced out with a 'horizontal promotion', #4 was promoted, and currently working for #5.

I'm sure these annual reviews are not as anonymous as they say they are. However if you don't answer honestly, the whole thing loses all it's meaning and solves nothing. I praised my boss in all the areas I felt he did well in and lambasted him everywhere that I thought he did poorly in. That is the whole point, right?

Although if I had to criticize anything about the whole process, it seems that they emphasize 100% participation more than they do accuracy. Every other day they'd send out an email that showed every terminal in the region and what percentage of participation they had. Fortunately, our new senior manager did quite well on his first review; let's hope he pays it forward when it comes time to review us. :)

vantexan

You don't take it, you don't bury him, he's still your manager, and you still don't like him.

Sounds like a very effective plan.

I didn't take it and know of others who didn't. Sr was asked recently what the results were and claimed only one person didn't take it. How does that happen?

El Morado Diablo

I didn't take it and know of others who didn't. Sr was asked recently what the results were and claimed only one person didn't take it. How does that happen?

The same way it does with the yearly United Way pressure tactics. I haven't participated in that since the 2nd year I joined the company. One day my manager walked in and said we had 100% participation. Every single person in our workgroup knew I didn't participate so they knew the manager either falsified or lied.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The same way it does with the yearly United Way pressure tactics. I haven't participated in that since the 2nd year I joined the company. One day my manager walked in and said we had 100% participation. Every single person in our workgroup knew I didn't participate so they knew the manager either falsified or lied.

...or he may have done what we used to do when I was in the military and donated a minimal amount ($1) in your name to ensure 100% participation.