SFA, Why bother?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah, Memphis stopped listening to our concerns years ago. Pretty much everyone at our station knows that.

They're gonna alter the scores anyway to make themselves look good, just like putting enough whipped cream on the pile of dog crap so they can hide it.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My manager got all indignant and butt hurt when I told him that I wasn't taking it. He even went as far as trying to tell me it was mandatory, and I called him on that one...with one of the 30 year guys standing right beside me saying I was right...lol I did tell him I would take it for $20 though, just to be fair.

!Retired!

Issues that have been low scores for ten years like pay, benefits and hours have been ignored and mostly gotten worse for hourlies.
Depends on your point of view. Not sure about you, but I'm making more now than 10 years ago, my hours have not declined (actually, I'm getting more now)), but I'll agree with you with on the medical benefits
The follow up meetings are a joke. With only a half an hour given, our manager hogs the whole meeting and only picks a few topics that he wants to talk about. Fred's too cheap to give us adequate time.
Fred has no say in the day to day operations. He doesn't decide HOW hours are spent, only how MANY hours are spent.
My senior did not post his scores. The managers did.
Same here.

vantexan

Depends on your point of view. Not sure about you, but I'm making more now than 10 years ago, my hours have not declined (actually, I'm getting more now)), but I'll agree with you with on the medical benefits

Fred has no say in the day to day operations. He doesn't decide HOW hours are spent, only how MANY hours are spent.

Same here.

​When you factor in for inflation are you making much more than you did 10 years ago?

RTURNSONLY

We just finished the SFA fiasco at our station this past Friday. I'll post my station's results as soon as they become available. I know for a fact, participation was below 50% this year and scores are expected to be the lowest in station's history. For comparision purposes, I'm curious as to what other managers got at other stations represented here. Also, I'm sure the general public stumbling with this post will also love to know what really transpires at the real FedEx. Will anyone else be willing to post theirs?

thedownhillEXPRESS

We just finished the SFA fiasco at our station this past Friday. I'll post my station's results as soon as they become available. I know for a fact, participation was below 50% this year and scores are expected to be the lowest in station's history. For comparision purposes, I'm curious as to what other managers got at other stations represented here. Also, I'm sure the general public stumbling with this post will also love to know what really transpires at the real FedEx. Will anyone else be willing to post theirs?

I will post ours within a 10 point margin of error.
Don't want to draw too much attention to my station yet because of underground organizing taking place.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think SFA scores are starting to come in. Not my last manager, but the one before him just got his score. 63!!! RFLMAO! He deserved it. I got screwed out of a position and displaced because of him. There is justice in this world.

jmeti000

I think SFA scores are starting to come in. Not my last manager, but the one before him just got his score. 63!!! RFLMAO! He deserved it. I got screwed out of a position and displaced because of him. There is justice in this world.

Ours came in too...manager was 60 something, senior was 50 something, and he wouldnt even say what everything else was lol.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ours came in too...manager was 60 something, senior was 50 something, and he wouldnt even say what everything else was lol.

Scores like these used to be considered "low". My bet is that they are the new norm, and that there are a lot of 40-somethings out there right now. Frankly, I'm surprised that Memphis is allowing scores that low to be seen.

Ricochet1a

Scores like these used to be considered "low". My bet is that they are the new norm, and that there are a lot of 40-somethings out there right now. Frankly, I'm surprised that Memphis is allowing scores that low to be seen.

Memphis regards low scores as NOT a reflection on them, but rather the manager in question. They WANT the scores to get out. Memphis obviously knows the scores, but by having the manager's whole station know about the score - it takes some of the heat off of Memphis and places it on the manager (I wrote of this late last year, the managers are going to be expected to start taking some of the heat regarding all the changes and not leave Memphis holding the bag).

This places station management between a rock and a hard place. They'll have a low score (Memphis will be on their ass), AND they'll be taking heat for the changes that are happening (saves the Memphoid butt). From what I heard from my source in ops, virtually ALL station management has taken a 10-15 point drop in the current SFA.

They are getting nervous about their own employment right now.... (throw in del appoints, they are sweating right now).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Memphis regards low scores as NOT a reflection on them, but rather the manager in question. They WANT the scores to get out. Memphis obviously knows the scores, but by having the manager's whole station know about the score - it takes some of the heat off of Memphis and places it on the manager (I wrote of this late last year, the managers are going to be expected to start taking some of the heat regarding all the changes and not leave Memphis holding the bag).

This places station management between a rock and a hard place. They'll have a low score (Memphis will be on their ass), AND they'll be taking heat for the changes that are happening (saves the Memphoid butt). From what I heard from my source in ops, virtually ALL station management has taken a 10-15 point drop in the current SFA.

They are getting nervous about their own employment right now.... (throw in del appoints, they are sweating right now).

I'm not so sure they want scores as low as what has been coming out. I agree that it takes some of the pressure off the Memphoids, but how is it going to look if they cook the scores (as usual) for upper management and try to make themselves look like "stars"? Are Express employees really dumb enough to believe it if the corporation gives itself decent scores? I wonder how they're going to spin-it?

Ricochet1a

I'm not so sure they want scores as low as what has been coming out. I agree that it takes some of the pressure off the Memphoids, but how is it going to look if they cook the scores (as usual) for upper management and try to make themselves look like "stars"? Are Express employees really dumb enough to believe it if the corporation gives itself decent scores? I wonder how they're going to spin-it?

They knew back in late February when the decision to nix the pay raises was made, that the April SFA would be in the toilet. What they are gauging is just how much the scores have dropped (compared to what they expected) and whether they need to plan on throwing out some actual cash in October, or if they can get away with hamburgers and weenies this summer and just hand out a percentage point in October (if that).

And in regards to the question about Express employees being dumb.... I'll let that one go unanswered. Memphis obviously has their answer to that question, based on their belief on the potential success of delivery appointments (Couriers won't mind in the least working into the evening and having their entire day shot - won't mind at all....)

I got the rundown of the program (del appoints) over the phone, but there is no way for me to see the video.

Just how was the video presented (from a psychological perspective). Was the narration taking a 'demanding' tone (you WILL do this)? Was it 'inspiring' (you CAN do this, it will make your life better)? Or did it take another tack? One poster mentioned the music in another thread - what was the tone and tempo of the music, along with the 'type' of music?

In mass communication, the method of presenting a 'message' tells more about the intent of the 'sender' of the message (Memphis in this case), than the actual content.

One can wrap up a crap sandwich in a fancy foil wrapper with expensive bread, condiments, fresh lettuce and other garnishments - making it look appealing at first glance, but it is still a crap sandwich if one actually bites into it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They knew back in late February when the decision to nix the pay raises was made, that the April SFA would be in the toilet. What they are gauging is just how much the scores have dropped (compared to what they expected) and whether they need to plan on throwing out some actual cash in October, or if they can get away with hamburgers and weenies this summer and just hand out a percentage point in October (if that).

And in regards to the question about Express employees being dumb.... I'll let that one go unanswered. Memphis obviously has their answer to that question, based on their belief on the potential success of delivery appointments (Couriers won't mind in the least working into the evening and having their entire day shot - won't mind at all....)

I got the rundown of the program (del appoints) over the phone, but there is no way for me to see the video.

Just how was the video presented (from a psychological perspective). Was the narration taking a 'demanding' tone (you WILL do this)? Was it 'inspiring' (you CAN do this, it will make your life better)? Or did it take another tack? One poster mentioned the music in another thread - what was the tone and tempo of the music, along with the 'type' of music?

In mass communication, the method of presenting a 'message' tells more about the intent of the 'sender' of the message (Memphis in this case), than the actual content.

One can wrap up a crap sandwich in a fancy foil wrapper with expensive bread, condiments, fresh lettuce and other garnishments - making it look appealing at first glance, but it is still a crap sandwich if one actually bites into it.

I was just wondering to what degree Memphis will make themselves look good relative to station management. This could really backfire on them if they hang local management out to dry and bask in fake scores for the corporation overall and for upper management specifically. A lot of the management I know is pissed that they didn't get a buyout so they could actually escape Devil's Island, and having to tapdance all around the stupidity coming-down from Memphis. With DRA, they're actually courier/managers most of the time anyway because DRA schedules more routes than they have people to fill them.

Ricochet1a

I was just wondering to what degree Memphis will make themselves look good relative to station management.

You're wondering to what degree MT3 and Associates will make themselves look good at the expense of station level management???? There's plenty of room under the bus for both the Couriers and station level management in the eyes of Memphis.

This could really backfire on them if they hang local management out to dry and bask in fake scores for the corporation overall and for upper management specifically.

District level managers and Senior managers were given their marching orders a few months ago. Get on board with the plans coming out of Memphis and implement them without reservation, or find other employment. They knew that they were being asked to sell their souls yet again to keep their jobs. Right now, the objective being sought is an increase in stock price - more specifically to get Express to contribute more towards getting FedEx stock to increase even higher. If Memphis has to toss a few station level managers under the bus to achieve that goal - they won't lose any sleep over that. There are plenty of potential replacements out there who would be more than willing to follow directions from Memphis. 'Work as directed" doesn't apply to just the Couriers.

A lot of the management I know is pissed that they didn't get a buyout so they could actually escape Devil's Island, and having to tapdance all around the stupidity coming-down from Memphis. With DRA, they're actually courier/managers most of the time anyway because DRA schedules more routes than they have people to fill them.

Those who chose to stay, know what they are facing.

As I wrote in another thread, most mangers are PRAYING for the whole delivery appointment scheme to fall flat on its face. There is a severe disconnect about to happen in operational procedure. DRA (which micromanages EVERY aspect of a Courier's work) is being pushed despite all the problems, while at the same time a program which will require Couriers to be proactive and anticipate a daily change in routine (delivery appointments) is being simultaneously implemented.

How are station managers supposed to meet any sort of productivity requirement, when they are faced with the competing requirements to have Couriers follow a pattern dictated by a computer program, while simultaneously breaking pattern to meet the goals of a completely differing operational objective?

Then, how are they to manage on-road hours, when they are faced with the potential of sending out additional routes in the evening with no real additional 'stops' being generated? (The stops are merely being taken off traditional delivery routes and placed onto NEW routes, station productivity by definition will DECLINE).

How are they going to manage the overtime and directly link it to implementation of delivery appointments and not be held accountable for an increase in overtime hours (which are budgeted)?

Schizophrenia doesn't begin to characterize what is about to happen.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're wondering to what degree MT3 and Associates will make themselves look good at the expense of station level management???? There's plenty of room under the bus for both the Couriers and station level management in the eyes of Memphis.

District level managers and Senior managers were given their marching orders a few months ago. Get on board with the plans coming out of Memphis and implement them without reservation, or find other employment. They knew that they were being asked to sell their souls yet again to keep their jobs. Right now, the objective being sought is an increase in stock price - more specifically to get Express to contribute more towards getting FedEx stock to increase even higher. If Memphis has to toss a few station level managers under the bus to achieve that goal - they won't lose any sleep over that. There are plenty of potential replacements out there who would be more than willing to follow directions from Memphis. 'Work as directed" doesn't apply to just the Couriers.

Those who chose to stay, know what they are facing.

As I wrote in another thread, most mangers are PRAYING for the whole delivery appointment scheme to fall flat on its face. There is a severe disconnect about to happen in operational procedure. DRA (which micromanages EVERY aspect of a Courier's work) is being pushed despite all the problems, while at the same time a program which will require Couriers to be proactive and anticipate a daily change in routine (delivery appointments) is being simultaneously implemented.

How are station managers supposed to meet any sort of productivity requirement, when they are faced with the competing requirements to have Couriers follow a pattern dictated by a computer program, while simultaneously breaking pattern to meet the goals of a completely differing operational objective?

Then, how are they to manage on-road hours, when they are faced with the potential of sending out additional routes in the evening with no real additional 'stops' being generated? (The stops are merely being taken off traditional delivery routes and placed onto NEW routes, productivity by definition will DECLINE).

How are they going to manage the overtime and directly link it to implementation of delivery appointments and not be held accountable for an increase in overtime hours (which are budgeted)?

Schizophrenia doesn't begin to characterize what is about to happen.

It absolutely is looking like the disaster is deepening. In my location, OSS is clueless as how to effectively implement DRA, so the dispatchers are being asked how to "fix it". They can improve it, but the overall program is a bomb, and I have had managers privately confide that it is an absolute failure. Memphis, however, is sticking to their guns, which suits me just fine. The delivery appointment scenario sounds like DRA on steroids in terms of failure potential.