Shake, Rattle & Roll

Big Babooba

I normally drive an International P700. The thing shimmies between 55 & 65 MPH. I sometimes feel that it is going to shake apart on the highway. It's so bad that the passenger door will shake open as I drive down the interstate. I told my mechanic and he said that there's nothing he can do about it. He said that UPS is buying poorly made recaps and that I am not the only one complaining.:angry: I asked a few drivers and they had the same story. I mentioned it to the shop supervisor and he told me to drive below 55 MPH.:sad-little: This might have contributed a little to my 47 lb weight loss, but enough is enough.:happy-very:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
What about 75? I put my p1000 to the floor and she drives like a caddy! Although we do have 2 mechanics, and if one doesn't fix a problem the other will.

Johney

I normally drive an International P700. The thing shimmies between 55 & 65 MPH. I sometimes feel that it is going to shake apart on the highway. It's so bad that the passenger door will shake open as I drive down the interstate. I told my mechanic and he said that there's nothing he can do about it. He said that UPS is buying poorly made recaps and that I am not the only one complaining.:angry: I asked a few drivers and they had the same story. I mentioned it to the shop supervisor and he told me to drive below 55 MPH.:sad-little: This might have contributed a little to my 47 lb weight loss, but enough is enough.:happy-very:
Ask if your mechanic can rebalance the tires. Sometimes it will help unless they are completely out of round.

barnyard

KTM rider
Ask if your mechanic can rebalance the tires. Sometimes it will help unless they are completely out of round.

That's what I do. Write them up till they are fixed. It is definately a balance issue and if let go, you can destroy the front end.

Tires are a DOT safety item.

The speeds in the OP are the same speeds that I have the issue with, when I have the problem.

TB

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
.............. He said that UPS is buying poorly made recaps and that I am not the only one complaining.:angry:
Please, please don't tell me you are getting recaps on steer tires!!!!!

That's what I do. Write them up till they are fixed. It is definately a balance issue and if let go, you can destroy the front end.

Tires are a DOT safety item.

The speeds in the OP are the same speeds that I have the issue with, when I have the problem.

TB
DOT does NOT allow recaps on steer tires and if this is what's happening I would be jumping on this in a BIG way. I would be turning this over to DOT!

barnyard

KTM rider
Please, please don't tell me you are getting recaps on steer tires!!!!!

DOT does NOT allow recaps on steer tires and if this is what's happening I would be jumping on this in a BIG way. I would be turning this over to DOT!

That is not true.

It used to be part of the contract that recaps could not be used on steers. Some people have equated that to being DOT fact, but it is not.

TB

Big Babooba

That is not true.

It used to be part of the contract that recaps could not be used on steers. Some people have equated that to being DOT fact, but it is not.

TB
It still is in the contract for feeders but not package. We've had recaps for as long as I remember and never had the problems like we have had lately.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I had a recap blow off on the front drivers side once doing 55 mph. Almost crashed and scared the crap out of me. Not long after that they quit putting recaps on the front wheels. Get it fixed before something wears out and breaks at highway speed. The trucks are not made for surviving wrecks very well.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OK, but I just asked my hubby and he said that under FMCR steer tires are not allowed to be recaps. He's a truck driver and has been for 40+ years. Now some will say that this is a reg. for big trucks and I would have to concur. But, if UPS follows DOT regulations to the T then they should be complying with this reg as well. Recaps on steer tires are killers. No company should ever use recaps on steer tires.

barnyard

KTM rider
OK, but I just asked my hubby and he said that under FMCR steer tires are not allowed to be recaps.

It's been debated on a couple of OTR boards that I visit and no one has ever come up with a link to the rule that bans them.

If there is a rule, there is a link. All the rest of them are....

TB

rod

Retired 22 years
But they aren't trucks---they are package CARS:happy2: They don't call them that just for the heck of it

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's been debated on a couple of OTR boards that I visit and no one has ever come up with a link to the rule that bans them.

If there is a rule, there is a link. All the rest of them are....

TB
This is true TB and I am looking. I will have him ask the guys in the shop next week and see if they can point out where in FMCR it is.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You and your fellow drivers have the right to refuse to operate unsafe equipment.

If you band together and keep writing them up as unsafe, eventually the company will be forced to do something about the problem.

Their usual solution is to just reassign the vehicle to someone who wont complain. If everyone in your center is on board and willing to refuse to drive it, something will get done.

Being out on route and calling in saying "the shimmy just got so bad I cant drive it any more" will force the company to call a tow truck. A few grand in towing bills will get the message across in language they are guaranteed to understand.