Shame Shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

local804

Agawam man will receive more than $800,000 from his former employer after Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination rules in his favor
By Pamela Metaxas, The Republican
March 29, 2010, 10:23AM
BOSTON – An Agawam man will receive more than $800,000 from his former employer, United Parcel Service, after the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination determined the firm engaged in discrimination based on his disability.

Barbara Green, press liaison, of the MCAD, characterized the award as one of the largest the MCAD has ever awarded.

“It’s huge,” she said.

As compensation for the employer’s discrimination, the hearing officer awarded back pay in the amount of $143,970, front pay in the amount of $603,520 and damages for emotional distress in the amount of $125,000.

Green said the employee, a 21-year veteran of UPS, was diagnosed with bipolar depression and anxiety disorder in 2005.

She identified him as William Anderson of Agawam.

After being granted medical leaves and receiving treatment for his disorder, Anderson requested that he be allowed to relinquish his night-time managerial position and be reassigned to a less stressful supervisory position on the day shift.

The employee’s request was supported by medical evidence, his doctor’s recommendation that he be allowed to work as a supervisor during the day, and by evidence that the company frequently reassigns employees from one position to another.

The MCAD hearing officer concluded that the employee was constructively discharged as a result of the company’s failure to participate in a reasonable dialogue with him regarding his job-related limitations and its refusal to grant him a reasonable accommodation.

tieguy

Banned
What a guy won a lawsuit in massachusetts because his bi-polar scam to get day work failed? ROFLMAO

As someone who has actually done both night and day work I can tell you that night work is much less stressful then days. You don't have all phone calls and conference calls at night that you have during the day.

804 please tell me you're not gullible enough to bite on this?

p228

As someone who has actually done both night and day work I can tell you that night work is much less stressful then days. You don't have all phone calls and conference calls at night that you have during the day.

Not to mention there is less stress getting to work. There is hardly any traffic driving in at night. No worries about getting stuck in traffic and being late.

local804

What a guy won a lawsuit in massachusetts because his bi-polar scam to get day work failed? ROFLMAO

I think I have an idea of who this is?
UPSSOCKS?

Blizzard

Trying to use a bi-polar condition to get day work may be one of the more creative approach's yet.
Once you agree to accomadate one such request you run the risk of every bi-polar employee on night work making and demanding the same request.
If there have been past rulings that determine a job change or creation is not required under the guidelines of reasonable accomadation then the company would be right in not discussing the issue.
I'm not sure this decision will stand up under appeals scrutiny. Nor do I see the shame in fighting such a request.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I think your opinion is typical but this time, unlike when you make good points, you lose here. You are not a doctor and I am pretty sure know less about bi-polar and depression than anyone suffering with that afflication. And yes, I do have knowledge on the subject and do not know whether the claims and ruling are legitimate. Could it be a scam? Of course. However I highly doubt it in this case.
Personally having known 4 employees who have taken their life ( at UPS alone, in 9 years; one FT supervisor), I think it's premature to make the conclusion you have come to.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I have to agree. Agawan man? Did he come between Neanderthal and Cro Magnon?

RoyalFlush

One of Them
I started taking Prozac and wearing a turban. If I don't get the assignment I want I'll be looking for a good lawyer. If that doesn't work I'll start having back pain. You can't prove I'm not crazy, religious or that I'm not having back pain. There's a gullible jury in every town. There's always a scam for those looking to take advantage of the system.

Tie, you have me confused, once again, because of your inconsistency. When it's a supervisor that is the subject of a thread, you are one of the first to say we should hold judgment until all the facts are know. Yet when it is an hourly, you are ready to hang them even when you have no idea what, when, where or how. You've convicted this man as a scam artist, when you have zero idea what you are talking about. Dare I say...typical UPS management?

To the rest of the naysayers, if you don't have experience or education in the matter of Bi-polar disorder you are making yourselves out to be......well....judgmental and ignorant.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tie, you have me confused, once again, because of your inconsistency. When it's a supervisor that is the subject of a thread, you are one of the first to say we should hold judgment until all the facts are know. Yet when it is an hourly, you are ready to hang them even when you have no idea what, when, where or how. You've convicted this man as a scam artist, when you have zero idea what you are talking about. Dare I say...typical UPS management?

To the rest of the naysayers, if you don't have experience or education in the matter of Bi-polar disorder you are making yourselves out to be......well....judgmental and ignorant.
There is more to this story than they'll ever know.

Ya'll need to go on about your business and leave this alone.

tieguy

Banned

Trp last time I checked I was a management person with a ton of experience in all facets of ups

as such I think I'm qualified to say that a day job with ups is more stressful then a night job with ups and the reasons why.

Trp last time I checked I was a management person with a ton of experience in all facets of ups

as such I think I'm qualified to say that a day job with ups is more stressful then a night job with ups and the reasons why.
That was not my point, you and everyone else that has read this know it. It's too bad that managers don't actually have that medical degree that they seem to think they have(or at least want us to think they have).

tieguy

Banned
That was not my point, you and everyone else that has read this know it. It's too bad that managers don't actually have that medical degree that they seem to think they have(or at least want us to think they have).

I didn't have to diagnose the patient since he apparently was already diagnosed by a doctor. I was however able to use my medical degree in ups management positions and determine that his argument that a management day job is less stressful then a management night job was a sick one.

I didn't have to diagnose the patient since he apparently was already diagnosed by a doctor. I was however able to use my medical degree in ups management positions and determine that his argument that a management day job is less stressful then a management night job was a sick one.
tieguy
Re: Shame Shame

804 please tell me you're not gullible enough to bite on this?​
I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or if that is a way of life for you, but 's cut the crap, OK?
In your first post you made the comment that is highlighted in red. The word "scam" clearly indicates your disbelief in the man's mental condition. A diagnosis that should be left up to a qualified professional which, despite all you years as a UPS management employee, you are not. Your next remark, indicated with an underline, insinuates that you do believe in the Doctors assessment. Change your mind on that or just trying to cover your ass?
Your claim that a day sup job is more stressful than a night job may well be correct, however it seems to me that this would be a perspective question based on many different criteria. For the man in question, the actual stresses that he was having to deal with at night may have come from outside UPS even though they were created due to the night job at UPS. Moving to a day position may alleviate those stresses.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or if that is a way of life for you, but 's cut the crap, OK?
In your first post you made the comment that is highlighted in red. The word "scam" clearly indicates your disbelief in the man's mental condition. A diagnosis that should be left up to a qualified professional which, despite all you years as a UPS management employee, you are not. Your next remark, indicated with an underline, insinuates that you do believe in the Doctors assessment. Change your mind on that or just trying to cover your ass?
Your claim that a day sup job is more stressful than a night job may well be correct, however it seems to me that this would be a perspective question based on many different criteria. For the man in question, the actual stresses that he was having to deal with at night may have come from outside UPS even though they were created due to the night job at UPS. Moving to a day position may alleviate those stresses.
[/INDENT]
Tie's unconditional love for the company knows no bounderies. No hypocrisy is to shameful. Here he sits, once again, with his bloody nose, wondering when he'll come out on top of one of these discussions. Oh yea, I forgot, he already thinks he won them all. He is a true master of delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.