Shaving as a driver

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think if you're a woman driver wearing shorts, you should HAVE to shave your legs. I know it's a gay thing (not that there's anything wrong with that), but come on! A woman should not have hairier legs than me.

If my sister were driving, I would hope she would wax or at least bleach her stache. Shes got a better one than me, & fewer grays too
Wax and shave. And, please shave the pits. LOL! Deodorant should be mandatory, as well!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A goatee looks far more professional than a mustache... It's 2012, not 1970.

Yep I grow mine out a few times a year just to show them how stupid it looks. All I hear even from management is when are u going to shave that you look creepy. Every one I know likes the way I look with a nicely trimmed beard though.

Nimnim

The Nim
I sport a ZZ top beard, but I'm not in PC, if PC allowed beards I would not expect them to let me keep it like this. There is a neat and clean beard, but mine isn't it. The clean shaven bit is a bit outdated, but it's much easier to enforce for professionalism. One might say a beard of 1 inch even cut is fine and professional, and another could say 4 inches a little rough is ok.

Personally I think just a mustache does not work for 90% of men, but I understand expanding what the standard is becomes a little hairy.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's a simple policy that favors no one. I don't understand the bitching. I can't wear the earrings I like to wear or the hot pants that I wore on preload that are the exact color of our uniforms. That is one of the fairest standards that UPS has.

Nimnim

The Nim
It's a simple policy that favors no one. I don't understand the bitching. I can't wear the earrings I like to wear or the hot pants that I wore on preload that are the exact color of our uniforms. That is one of the fairest standards that UPS has.

The only problem I have with the policy is the hair length allowed between men and women. I'm not upset about it because I know the mentality behind it, but these days it's become more acceptable for a guy to have longer hair.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The only problem I have with the policy is the hair length allowed between men and women. I'm not upset about it because I know the mentality behind it, but these days it's become more acceptable for a guy to have longer hair.
But, I have to have it up in a ponytail or a bun. It can't just be free flowing. It, technically, is supposed to be 'contained'. Otherwise, we have to have it shoulder length or above.

Nimnim

The Nim
But, I have to have it up in a ponytail or a bun. It can't just be free flowing. It, technically, is supposed to be 'contained'. Otherwise, we have to have it shoulder length or above.

I couldn't pull off a bun, but I keep a ponytail and when I'm feeling goofy pigtails at work. Anyone with longer than shoulder length hair is not going to let to just go free while working because in the UPS environment it will get in the way.

Unlike facial hair, hair on the top is much easier to keep under control and look acceptable.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

But in ten years it may be totally unacceptable for a man to have long hair again. That's the problem with appearance standards you will never make everyone happy and what's socially acceptable changes so quickly. I mean we would all love Menotyou to rock her hot pants and red sole stilettos but some customers would probably frown upon it.

brown_trousers

Anything can happen, I remember a time when we were told "UPS will never allow shorts". So you never know.

Very true! If we just accept wages, conditions, and rules, as if they are written in stone. Then there is really no point to even have a union. We have a union so we can negotiate changes.

But I don't see UPS changing the facial hair policy without a fight. And you have to keep mind that negotiations are like a big pie, the bigger the slice you cut in one area, the less of a slice you are going to get in another area. I'd rather forego negotiating facial hair to take a bigger slice of that pie somewhere else.

packageguy

Its 2012, can't this rule finally be changed.

I look more established with a goatee, I look like a little kid with a bare face...

I start driving school today and its the first time I've shaved my goatee in atleast 5 or 6 years. I look weird and don't recognize myself in the mirror without it.

How can we get this changed? Its about time.

Dude get over it, it is what it is, it will never change, Our managers are all over us for shaving. i think they get a kick out it. they will never give up.......lol

UPSGUY72

I look more established with a goatee, I look like a little kid with a bare face...

I start driving school today and its the first time I've shaved my goatee in atleast 5 or 6 years. I look weird and don't recognize myself in the mirror without it.

If you don't like the rules go find another job that pays u $31+ hr gives you free health insurance, and a pension for starters.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I read the OP's comment I had to laugh. I remember the 1st contract negotiations I went through back in the early 70's and even waaaaaaaaay back then some of the guys wanted to be able to grow beards. Sorry upstate---contrary to what you say I see UPS hasn't changed all that much since I retired.

beentheredonethat

The biggest problem is that you will have different people push the boundaries and have a days growth (and I mean it looks like they have a days+ growth). Or you will have people that will have a real ratty looking beard etc. If we started to discipline for it, then well driver X in the other center has a more unkempt beard then I do. Or< i've had this beard for x weeks, you can't make me trim it now, I have past precedence on my side etc.

It's a lot easier, to keep the rules and only have exceptions for medical and religious reasons.

menotyou

bella amicizia
But in ten years it may be totally unacceptable for a man to have long hair again. That's the problem with appearance standards you will never make everyone happy and what's socially acceptable changes so quickly. I mean we would all love Menotyou to rock her hot pants and red sole stilettos but some customers would probably frown upon it.
A few would, I'm sure. :winks:

dcdriver

nations capital

How can we get this changed? Its about time.[/QUO

Find another job.