Shaving Hours

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Since you're such a fervent free market capitalist, what if Fred got special legislation allowing him to have "guest workers" be imported from another country at $3.50 per hour?

Such privileges wouldn't be granted in "fervent" free market systems.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then please explain the local apple orchard owners who bring workers in from Jamaica to harvest their crop.

I suppose there's nothing preventing them from bringing them in.

The other guy was referring to "fervent" free market capitalism and special legislation granted to a single participant. A fervent free market capitalist would be raising hell over that legislation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I suppose there's nothing preventing them from bringing them in.

The other guy was referring to "fervent" free market capitalism and special legislation granted to a single participant. A fervent free market capitalist would be raising hell over that legislation.

Isn't the RLA Exemption granted to FedEx a perfect example of special legislation granted to a single participant?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"All you people coming here sweating Fedex are nothing but *** Fedex is a terrible greedy company. UPS is the future not Fedex." Slobberman had a lack of courage in sending this to me privately. I thought I would help him express himself to the community.

Not good. Is this individual even aware of your ethnicity? If so, it's even worse.

bbsam

Staff member
Not good. Is this individual even aware of your ethnicity? If so, it's even worse.
I imagine he is aware of my ethnicity, he's been here before. It's mungrin showing up again. He's been banned again, but I don't doubt he'll attempt to return. I really don't mind racists. I just wish they'd wear it proudly for all to see.

bbsam

Staff member
While I agree with you that someone like Mark111 would boost the fortunes of Ground, he's the owner, not the driver...just like you. Maybe his operation will provide superior service, but maybe not.

The problem with Ground isn't really with the multiple IC's...it's with the people they hire. You're right that in a down economy that Ground will attract a higher caliber of employee and owner than would usually be the case. That said, why is the average Ground driver such a punk? It's because the Ground model doesn't allow the IC to pay enough to attract truly competent people. If the economy was strong right now, most of your best Ground drivers would leave for greener pastures and you'd be left with the usual suspects. And the poor reputation of Ground gets perpetuated.

The same thing is happening at Express. Fred expects a premium employee, but he isn't willing to pay for one. What he's getting now isn't anywhere close to what he was getting 10 years ago. When the economy picks-up, the good people are getting out, and Freddy will have a bunch of Express employees just as incompetent as the Ground folks. The problem is that over at Express, there's a lot more job knowledge involved and a much tighter operations timeframe. It will get interesting for sure.
"If the economy was strong right now..." Yes, but it's not. When the economy picks up? Ever hear the phrase "jobless recovery"? The "good people" for the most part would have gotten out years ago. I really think you underestimate Ground's proficiency. I understand that you see what you see, but I think you see a very limited piece of the Ground network. We really do have the potential to be very, very, good.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I imagine he is aware of my ethnicity, he's been here before. It's mungrin showing up again. He's been banned again, but I don't doubt he'll attempt to return. I really don't mind racists. I just wish they'd wear it proudly for all to see.

We get the Southern Poverty Law Center newsletter since we contribute, and the average racist has about a 6th grade education. They hide because they are cowards and know they'd get the crap beat out of them if they actually said stuff like that to someone's face.

It's an issue for me too because my wife and I are not of the same race. I guess that judge in Lousiana wouldn't have married us either.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"If the economy was strong right now..." Yes, but it's not. When the economy picks up? Ever hear the phrase "jobless recovery"? The "good people" for the most part would have gotten out years ago. I really think you underestimate Ground's proficiency. I understand that you see what you see, but I think you see a very limited piece of the Ground network. We really do have the potential to be very, very, good.

I'd agree that the potential is there, especially with the FedEx penchant for efficiency. But I doubt it can be realized until you are able to attract career-level employees who have a vested interest in staying with the company.

bbsam

Staff member
We get the Southern Poverty Law Center newsletter since we contribute, and the average racist has about a 6th grade education. They hide because they are cowards and know they'd get the crap beat out of them if they actually said stuff like that to someone's face.

It's an issue for me too because my wife and I are not of the same race. I guess that judge in Lousiana wouldn't have married us either.
But that judge does let people of color use his bathroom. Probably so we won't crap on his couch.

bbsam

Staff member
I'd agree that the potential is there, especially with the FedEx penchant for efficiency. But I doubt it can be realized until you are able to attract career-level employees who have a vested interest in staying with the company.
It is a different career level employee that is being sought. It is drivers looking to become contractors that will make the difference. That being said, there needs to be more contractors selling so that drivers can see what is possible and not feel they are in a dead end position, and yes, the company has culpability in that as well.