Sherman Tanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As for the violent nature of football... That isn't exactly a new phenomena, so again, I'm not really getting the shock and awe over this outburst.
Have you watched the interview?
I just watched it again and now it is just funny, like something from SNL.
Granted I don't watch football much but I have never seen anything like this.
It always comes down to one's experiences in life.

upswife75

Yes, I saw it when it happened. I was watching the game so I saw everything that lead up to that moment, also. Some people just get more hyped up on adrenaline than others, and yes, some people like to talk smack more than others. It doesn't make them terrible people or thugs. Hell, have you seen any of the smack talking that goes on in MMA? It happens far more often than most realize, this one just happened to get caught on tape, because they interviewed him within minutes of making the biggest play of his career against his team's biggest rival, and specifically, HIS biggest rival player, who had been talking smack about him for weeks. Outbursts aren't new in sports. Hell, ever watch John McEnroe back in the day? That's not even a high testosterone, contact sport! Many sports divisions have mandated cool down periods after games before they will allow players to be interviewed, specifically to avoid this kind of thing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Stanford doesn't graduate thugs.
I assume you were being facetious, but Stanford is like any other college, you pay them money and you can be anything you want.
In the case of Sherman, he easily brought over a million dollars in revenue to Stanford.

upswife75

Well, I don't know every person that ever graduated from Stanford, so I won't speak to that. I do find it interesting though, that Sherman was fined after the game for taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct, in the amount of $7875. My question is, why in the hell wasn't Crabtree fined for his unsportsmanlike conduct? He actually laid hands on Sherman. So if someone is gonna be called a thug, maybe they should look elsewhere. (That said, I think what Crabtree did was stupid, though it doesn't make him a thug, imo.) Why isn't the press going crazy over that? Sherman at least apologized for his actions. I've yet to see an apology from Crabtree for shoving Sherman in the face when he tried to shake his hand and say good game. At least Sherman called out his own fans for throwing food at NaVorro Bowman when he was being taken off the field, severely injured. Yep, such a thug.

sherman-crabtree-360.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I don't know every person that ever graduated from Stanford, so I won't speak to that. I do find it interesting though, that Sherman was fined after the game for taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct, in the amount of $7875. My question is, why in the hell wasn't Crabtree fined for his unsportsmanlike conduct? He actually laid hands on Sherman. So if someone is gonna be called a thug, maybe they should look elsewhere. (That said, I think what Crabtree did was stupid, though it doesn't make him a thug, imo.) Why isn't the press going crazy over that? Sherman at least apologized for his actions. I've yet to see an apology from Crabtree for shoving Sherman in the face when he tried to shake his hand and say good game. At least Sherman called out his own fans for throwing food at NaVorro Bowman when he was being taken off the field, severely injured. Yep, such a thug.

sherman-crabtree-360.jpg
Crabtree did not do it during an interview with a reporter with 30 million viewers watching and it was done on the field.
I seriously doubt the offered handshake was sincere ... Crabtree obviously did not think so.

Granted I have not followed this closely after the first couple of days, I have not heard "thug" used.

It's a very insignificant event that Sherman has used to increase his visibility and he is eating it up.
He appears to be a very smart guy who knows how to gin up interest and keep it going.

upswife75

Crabtree did not do it during an interview with a reporter with 30 million viewers watching and it was done on the field.
I seriously doubt the offered handshake was sincere ... Crabtree obviously did not think so.

Granted I have not followed this closely after the first couple of days, I have not heard "thug" used.

It's a very insignificant event that Sherman has used to increase his visibility and he is eating it up.
He appears to be a very smart guy who knows how to gin up interest and keep it going.

He wasn't fined for his interview, he was fined for throwing a choking sign at Kaepernick right after Crabtree shoved him in the face. So again, where is the fine for Crabtree, who actually put his hands on another person in violence?

As for the handshake not being sincere, no way anyone can know that except for Sherman. It didn't sound insincere to me. Personally, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and even if I think someone isn't sincere, I don't put my hands on them because of my perceived notion of what the other person is secretly thinking. If I did, I would expect to be called on it.

upswife75

I like a certain amount of talk, but comparing it to the MMA is a little ridiculous. Are we suppose to lower everything to the lowest common denominator?

My point is that it happens, not just in football, but in MMA, basketball, hell even tennis. MMA was mentioned specifically because they are both physical sports where adrenline is pumping. That is all.

Also, as a side note, I'd like to point out that Sherman's fine was the exact same amount as Williams' fine for this little moment...

bbsam

Staff member
I see it all the time in pre-game all around the NFL. Ray Lewis was always good. Steven Paea of the Bears had an interesting pre-game rant but it was in Samoan so I have no idea what he said.
Don't look for any humility in NFL corners though. The rules by far favor the offense and when a player like Sherman makes that kind of play, he is on top of the world. I think he's handled it well since.

upswife75

Sherman put his hand on Crabtree first.

He patted him on the butt as he was approaching him, more as a get his attention type thing. It wasn't done in a violent, malicious manner, like Crabtree's move was. Are we going to start fining everyone that pats a butt in football now? The sport would be broke in a season.

upswife75

I see it all the time in pre-game all around the NFL. Ray Lewis was always good. Steven Paea of the Bears had an interesting pre-game rant but it was in Samoan so I have no idea what he said.
Don't look for any humility in NFL corners though. The rules by far favor the offense and when a player like Sherman makes that kind of play, he is on top of the world. I think he's handled it well since.

Ah, Paea's haka. It's a traditional maori war cry. Rugby players do it all the time, lol. It translates roughly, from what I can recall to, "I live, I die. This is the hairy man who fetched the sun and made it shine again. One upward step, another upward step, the sun shines, rise up!"

upswife75

You don't pat an opponent, you pat you're teammates. And I'm sure it was to say you did a great job...wish you had caught it.

LOL Really? They ALL pat each other, from teammates to opponents, to coaches, to refs. For as long as I can remember, and I've been watching football for some 35 odd years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I watch maybe 2 or 3 NFL games a year (and never watch pre-game or post-game shows) and zero basketball and I don't even know MMA is. The only reason I know anything about this is MSNBC devoted a lot of daytime news show coverage.
I am outta my league here ... Y'all have fun.

PS - I watch over 100 baseball games a year, Maybe that's the standard I apply.

Last edited: