Shifting Gears - Going to be driver but what kind?

Got hired 6 mths ago for small sorts during seasonal and hired permentally in Feb. In Sort Out. Today HR called me to inform me that I will be given a driving test to see if I can drive a stick for purposes of becoming a Cover Driver. I can drive stick shift in a car, but never did it in a truck before. What should I expect? Will I drive everyday, or continue Sort Out and drive as needed. What about my pay?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You'll do fine. The clutches in our trucks are for the most part very forgiving.

Don't be afraid to use your handbrake if you are starting on a hill. It's a big no-no to allow the vehicle to roll backwards at all while starting.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think every 400 I drove had a different transmission. They were worn out Frankenstein cars on their last legs then and heavily rebuilt with whatever parts were available.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think every 400 I drove had a different transmission. They were worn out Frankenstein cars on their last legs then and heavily rebuilt with whatever parts were available.
I remember one route had a 1954 Grumman P-350 that was built like a tank.
Last time I was in ATL, they had painted it yellow and was using it to drive larger irregs around the building.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I had a GMC 400 for a couple years that somebody in Automotive screwed up and sent a 292ci instead of the 250ci as a replacement.

That little bugger would flat-out haul ***!

oldngray

nowhere special
Last time I was in ATL, they had painted it yellow and was using it to drive larger irregs around the building.

The last 400 we had was a shop truck painted yellow. I think it was an International but not sure.

SCV good to go sir.

For the purpose of the test start the truck in first. The gears are set so low though that you can start the car in 2nd with no problem, but that's a big no no as well. So don't stress about the shifting.

If you go cover, you drive when you need to and report to your regular shift when they don't.

rod

Retired 22 years

In the early 70's they gave me an OLD P-600 that must have had 20 toggle switches jerry rigged on the dash. Out of the 20 I think only 2 or 3 actually controlled anything.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I drove a 400 back in the late 70's. It was rectangular and boxy. There were no rounded corners on it. It was originally built to be a bread truck, but the bread company backed out of the deal and UPS needed package cars, so they bought it. The good thing about a p400 was....it had 100 square feet less than a p500, and that meant less work. lol. Had a semi rural area so I didn't anything big anyways. Usually drove about 120 miles/day.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
They're all beasts if they're stick for the most part, mechanical clutch linkage to thank for that but most of them are geared pretty low so if you let off the clutch in first you generally don't even need to give gas, but in 2nd you might ;-)