Shippers UPS, Amazon have trouble filling holiday jobs

undies

Minimum wage in California is $8/hour and UPS wants to pay people $8.50 to do a tough manual labor job. When I started 11 years ago it was 8.50...they better up the ante soon or even the desperate people won't want to work in the hub.

klein

Für Meno :)
Minimum wage in California is $8/hour and UPS wants to pay people $8.50 to do a tough manual labor job. When I started 11 years ago it was 8.50...they better up the ante soon or even the desperate people won't want to work in the hub.

There ya go !
UPS loading job requires a vehicle, requires workers to get up at 2 or 3am in the morning, and since these jobs are just temp (for xmas) - no bennies !
Might as well walk to the next Mickeys or Burger King, where they have flexible schedules, and might even pay you more, without being in a dusty cold trailer and lifting heavy boxes all shift long.

curiousbrain

There ya go !
UPS loading job requires a vehicle, requires workers to get up at 2 or 3am in the morning, and since these jobs are just temp (for xmas) - no bennies !
Might as well walk to the next Mickeys or Burger King, where they have flexible schedules, and might even pay you more, without being in a dusty cold trailer and lifting heavy boxes all shift long.

Some enjoy hard labor - not only enjoy it, but expect it. I'd rather do hard labor and get paid for it, then flip burgers and serve fries any day of the week.

How's your hot dog stand working out, by the way?

klein

Some enjoy hard labor - not only enjoy it, but expect it. I'd rather do hard labor and get paid for it, then flip burgers and serve fries any day of the week.

How's your hot dog stand working out, by the way?

That's up to you, but I would not get out of bed at 2am, waste $5 - $10 worth of gas daily, work-out like an idiot in those early morning hrs, get treated like crap, and all that for about $25 per day (after taxes and deductions), minus gas money, yet, whoppy doppie !

curiousbrain

That's up to you, but I would not get out of bed at 2am, waste $5 - $10 worth of gas daily, work-out like an idiot in those early morning hrs, get treated like crap, and all that for about $25 per day (after taxes and deductions), minus gas money, yet, whoppy doppie !

No, a person would only do that if they were looking towards the future and thinking about their family.

Not while drinking beer while on the clock.

L

Loufan

it's not worth it to come in for 3.5 - 4 hours making 8.50 an hour working the midnight shift at a temp job. I mean i used to make 8.50 at one point but it wasn't that crazy shift and also i was getting closer to 6-7 hours a day.

EDIT: maybe it is worth it, i don't know, I just know i'd accept a position like that only as a last option. If there was nothing else, clearly i'd take the job.
I'm just very lucky i have a job at UPS that gives me enough hours and doesn't keep me up from 1am-4am.

OCRookie

That attitude is exactly why many people are in the position they are in. Everyone feels they are entitled to certain things but will not work for them. Of course when you first start at UPS you do not make much. However, anyone FT at UPS knows that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone that is FT also had to sacrifice by being PT for years and earning next to nothing, just like the current situation all the current PTers are in. The bottom line is that UPS posts these jobs at 8.50 an hour and they get filled. There is no secret or dishonesty about the pay or the job. Is the job extremely demanding and do I think they should get paid more? YES. However, everyone at any company starts at the bottom of the totem pole, which your earning will reflect.

Besides, there should be no getting so upset at UPS for only offering 8.50. Last I checked, wages are bargained for by the union members that make up the workforce of UPS. If you should be upset at anyone, it should be at the bargaining unit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone that is FT also had to sacrifice by being PT for years and earning next to nothing...

Not everyone.:wink2:

Besides, there should be no getting so upset at UPS for only offering 8.50. Last I checked, wages are bargained for by the union members that make up the workforce of UPS. If you should be upset at anyone, it should be at the bargaining unit.

The union members of UPS have nothing to do with setting their own wages. Wages are but one part of the financials that are negotiated by the Union and Company. The Company offers a set dollar amount and the Union decides how it will be split between wages/benefits/pension. The Union could very well decide to earmark more of the wages portion to part-timers at the expense of full-timers but is unlikely to do so because very few part-timers actively participate in the union. $8.50 IMO is not enough to attract the type of employee UPS needs. $10/hr to start would be more equitable.

OCRookie

Everyone that is FT also had to sacrifice by being PT for years and earning next to nothing...

The union members of UPS have nothing to do with setting their own wages. Wages are but one part of the financials that are negotiated by the Union and Company. The Company offers a set dollar amount and the Union decides how it will be split between wages/benefits/pension. The Union could very well decide to earmark more of the wages portion to part-timers at the expense of full-timers but is unlikely to do so because very few part-timers actively participate in the union. $8.50 IMO is not enough to attract the type of employee UPS needs. $10/hr to start would be more equitable.

With that said, it is a shame that the FTers dominate the results with so many fewer people. PTers 4-1 would you say? Just makes my point that the PTers could get more piece of the pie you mentioned if they would stand up and demand it.

And you are right, 8.50 is awfully low. 10.00 would go along way. For a young kid, 10.00 seems like a whole lot more than 8.50, even in reality it isn't significant when you factor the amount of hours worked. Maybe a half tank of gas? Then again, when I was PT, I could have used that half tank!!!!

klein

That attitude is exactly why many people are in the position they are in. Everyone feels they are entitled to certain things but will not work for them. Of course when you first start at UPS you do not make much. However, anyone FT at UPS knows that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone that is FT also had to sacrifice by being PT for years and earning next to nothing, just like the current situation all the current PTers are in. The bottom line is that UPS posts these jobs at 8.50 an hour and they get filled. There is no secret or dishonesty about the pay or the job. Is the job extremely demanding and do I think they should get paid more? YES. However, everyone at any company starts at the bottom of the totem pole, which your earning will reflect.

Didn't you or others read the Thread Title here ???

These are HOLIDAY JOBS !!!!

With no future, nADDa !!!!

Better working in the mall over the season !

OptimusPrime

Second time in a few days that I have seen a thread mentioning said "Klein" and drinking on the job. Is there a thread I missed, or is this guys that work with him making an inside joke.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

FedEx apparently doesn't have these troubles, because their loaders start out at $10+/hr. Of course, they can do this because their drivers, for the most part nowadays, are underpaid. This is the elephants in the room for those of us FT who would like to see PT pay increased.

rod

Retired 22 years
The one and only time I collected unemployment benefits was in 1970 when I got out of the Army. At that time we had to show up in person at the Minnesota State Employment Office with a list of places we had visited that week to apply for jobs. No list-no check. When they called you up to the counter you had to show them your list--- then they would check their list of jobs and if you were qualified for any of them you had no choice but to report for work --- no matter how much you wanted to goof off. If they had no jobs they could match you with you got your check handed to you that week (I think it was for about 75 bucks). Unemployment ran out after 26 weeks after which you could apply ONCE for a 26 week extention. I never heard of anyone that actually got an extention. About every other week they would assign me some crappy temporary job that paid minimum wage. I "milked" the system for about 2 months before I hired on at UPS. At that time in my life (all I wanted to do was party after getting out of the Service) it was like playing Russian Roulette---you just prayed the guy ahead of you got the last job they had available that day.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
FedEx apparently doesn't have these troubles, because their loaders start out at $10+/hr. Of course, they can do this because their drivers, for the most part nowadays, are underpaid. This is the elephants in the room for those of us FT who would like to see PT pay increased.

Fedex Ground here pays $11/hr with no benefits. No raises either.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Shippers UPS, Amazon have trouble filling holiday jobs
5:08PM EST November 30. 2012 - LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Hundreds of holiday jobs are there for the taking around here — and employers are having trouble finding people to fill them.
Major distribution companies like GSI Commerce and UPS are struggling to fill jobs to ship holiday orders.
UPS still had 200 openings paying $8.50 per hour on four shifts this week, three months after setting out to hire 1,000 temporary workers. The shipping company also is offering employees $150 bonuses for referring new hires, who also get the bonus.

More info available on the link.

UPS is being hoist on its own petard here in Louisville. Because we are here, there have been a ton of logistics fulfillment outfits come to town. Amazon has two fulfillment centers here. Most of those outfits pay $11 per hour for their drones, and we only pay $8.50. We also have these shifts working in the middle of the night.

So, for YOUR holiday job, do you work 8 hour days at Amazon for $11 per hour, or work 5 hours in the middle of the night at UPS for $8.50 per hour? This is not a tough decision, people.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Not surprising.

60 minutes just ran a piece on a company in NV or NM or AZ. They were bemoaning the fact that they could not get people to do machine work for $12.50 an hour.

Yeah, that was a little different. It was a screed about how these manufacturing companies are whining they can't find skilled machinists for $12.50 an hour. And won't train. They want the guvmint to train people on numerical milling machines, or welders, or other skilled trades, so they can hire them for $12.50 an hour.

Gee, I wonder why they can't find skilled machinists or welders willing to work for $12.50 an hour?

The Milkman

You are right...I never worked P/T...Although many friend/T drivers back in the 80's did...As the yrs went by more and more P/T ers went friend/T from within not off the street like me..And yes back in 81 when I started $8.50 was a decent wage with benefits...wages more than likely would be better for the P/T ers but they never really as you say got involved with the Union..Now the decent friend/T wage is because of P/T ers getting nothing decent today:youreright: