Shippers UPS, Amazon have trouble filling holiday jobs

TheDick

Dunno how it is in ur center but in mine the p/t are so sketchy on attendance the preload mgr has to wake-up call most ofem every morning. and when they dont show you could have 1-3 drivers working their shift. How operations justifies this is on semi daily basis is beyond me.

HomeDelivery

Fedex Ground here pays $11/hr with no benefits. No raises either.

you're i'll-informed... ground package handlers get benefits... while the "vendors" or drivers of subcontractors get no bennies (some sub-contractors that have more than 10 routes, however, has grown to include some benefits)

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
"Everyone that is FT...?" In my building, most of the FTers were hired off the street or worked no more than a few months before progressing to FT. Stagnate growth, local consolidation + improved efficiency has lead to about 15-20 FT openings within the past decade. If you wanted one of these jobs, you needed about 15 years with the Company. Nor do I agree with the mentality that working PT for many years at low wages justifies the big pay day you'll receive FT. (Note that I'm not suggesting PTers are underpaid, or FTers are overpaid ... I'm just disagreeing with the mentality).

That attitude is exactly why many people are in the position they are in. Everyone feels they are entitled to certain things but will not work for them. Of course when you first start at UPS you do not make much. However, anyone FT at UPS knows that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone that is FT also had to sacrifice by being PT for years and earning next to nothing, just like the current situation all the current PTers are in. The bottom line is that UPS posts these jobs at 8.50 an hour and they get filled. There is no secret or dishonesty about the pay or the job. Is the job extremely demanding and do I think they should get paid more? YES. However, everyone at any company starts at the bottom of the totem pole, which your earning will reflect.

Besides, there should be no getting so upset at UPS for only offering 8.50. Last I checked, wages are bargained for by the union members that make up the workforce of UPS. If you should be upset at anyone, it should be at the bargaining unit.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
you're i'll-informed... ground package handlers get benefits... while the "vendors" or drivers of subcontractors get no bennies (some sub-contractors that have more than 10 routes, however, has grown to include some benefits)

How confident are you on your information?
Isn't it true that every Fedex Ground terminal is operated as a separate business so each can be different?
What caveats come with these benefits they receive?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Locally, Fedex ground pays the same as UPS for PT people.

A flyer posted at my school for the local FedEx Ground facility advertised $10-$11 for inside PT positions, plus tuition reimbursement (no details, although I suspect it's a minimal amount considering it's a maximum of 6-weeks employment). UPS offers $8.50-$9.50. I'm uncertain how each company juggles OT for non-union employees... in the early 2000s, in my building UPS was offering seasonal, inside employees a wage equal to the Central States helping wage ($11.62?) but no OT until after 40-hours in a week. At the time, the problem was the people were turning down inside jobs in favor of helping jobs since they got more hours & thus earned more money at the latter.

HomeDelivery

How confident are you on your information?
Isn't it true that every Fedex Ground terminal is operated as a separate business so each can be different?
What caveats come with these benefits they receive?

very confident; i help them sort/load & talk to them in person!

Bagels is correct; the average package handler for ground/ HD is over $11 per hour(in my area), without paying union dues...

all fedex ground/ home delivery terminals are staffed by FedEx employee workers

now show me which terminal that aren't...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
very confident; i help them sort/load & talk to them in person!

Bagels is correct; the average package handler for ground/ HD is over $11 per hour(in my area), without paying union dues...

all fedex ground/ home delivery terminals are staffed by FedEx employee workers

now show me which terminal that aren't...

Well you might want to have some conversations with Corporate, as they don't offer benefits in all places, just the ones they need to in order to retain people. Obamacare will change that I'm sure. I'm intimately familiar with someone in Corporate. :wink2:

FedEx Ground Salaries | Glassdoor

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Well you might want to have some conversations with Corporate, as they don't offer benefits in all places, just the ones they need to in order to retain people. Obamacare will change that I'm sure. I'm intimately familiar with someone in Corporate. :wink2:

FedEx Ground Salaries | Glassdoor

I live in an area of high unemployment. FedEx Ground's website currently does not list ANY job openings in my area, and the flyer posted at my school makes it clear they have needs for only a small number of people. Yet they offer high starting wages (and the flyer indicates there's two raises in the first year, should your employment become permanent), tuition reimbursement & health benefits ("starting at $11/week.") Long-term, UPS will offer higher wages, better (no-cost) health insurance & more career opportunities... but to a young college student, FedEx Ground is a better job.

klein

Für Meno :)
Why does Canada pay preloaders $17.50 (US$18.00) per hr while the US UPS pays below poverty wage ?

UPS Edmonton is looking for candidates to work the early morning warehouse position at either:

11204 151 St
Edmonton, AB

Or

6979 68 Ave
Edmonton, AB

Preloaders are responsible for unloading trailers, sorting packages and loading package cars. It is fun, fast-paced and physically demanding. Who needs a gym membership when you can get paid to work out!?

Shift time: 3:00am to 9:00am
Starting wages: $17.50 per hour (base + bonus)

Tuition Reimbursement of $2000 per semester! (Conditions apply)

Part Time Early Morning Warehouse - Edmonton General Labour Jobs - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

wayfair

swollen member
Why does Canada pay preloaders $17.50 (US$18.00) per hr while the US UPS pays below poverty wage ?

UPS Edmonton is looking for candidates to work the early morning warehouse position at either:

11204 151 St
Edmonton, AB

Or

6979 68 Ave
Edmonton, AB

Preloaders are responsible for unloading trailers, sorting packages and loading package cars. It is fun, fast-paced and physically demanding. Who needs a gym membership when you can get paid to work out!?

Shift time: 3:00am to 9:00am
Starting wages: $17.50 per hour (base + bonus)

Tuition Reimbursement of $2000 per semester! (Conditions apply)

Part Time Early Morning Warehouse - Edmonton General Labour Jobs - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

cost of living... duh...
how much is gas per GALLON?
Preloaders here don't unload trailers or sort, they read a label that tells them where to put pkgs on PC.. with any luck they get it on the right car

klein

Für Meno :)
It's around $1.00 per ltr for gas here in Edmonton. $3.70/gallon.
Cost of living is not much different, except for booze and cigs.

wayfair

swollen member
No, just depends where they asign you (unloading trailers, or loading package cars) - impossibe to do both, right ? ;)

your description said all 3, not 1 of 3...

"Preloaders are responsible for unloading trailers, sorting packages and loading package cars."

'Lord Brown's bidding'

While the individual jobs are different in nature, isn't the operation that loads the package cars called "Preload"? You make work on "unload" unloading trailers, she over there is in small sort or the sort aisle-a sorter-while I am "a loader", loading package cars. But we are all "preloaders".

I

IslandGirl

Preloaders..in BC..starting wage is $10/hour..progressing to $19/hr after 30 months(of continuous employment)..if a day is missed here and there,due to no call in,or even sick..that 30 month period is extended by however many days were missed..
Preloaders can unload trailers..or sort pkgs,along belt,in trucks...preloaders are assigned 3 trucks to load and organize,although,that organizing part is a skill that comes with experience.
Preloaders can also go out on road..as a helper..the work code then changes..however..and just when you think you've worked some O/T..no!..because you worked 5 hours as a preloader..then after changing into your browns..either leaving with a driver...or even,meet him after taking your own car to the meet point(not paid)..you might work another 4 hours..you thought that last hour was O/T?..NO!..
A good candidate for a preloader is..someone who may be self employed,or a trades person..this way..they can work the preload..and then go off and do their day job..and,after a year(or whatever the wait period is in your area)..receive benefits,and holiday pay..it works really good when the preloader has graduated to the $19/hr phase..X20-25 hours per week..and still do plumbing,electrician,tile,drywall install,etc..to fill in more hours getting paid for working...whatever that may be.

Gasoline is $1.14 L-$1.52 L depending on what area of country..Canadian and US Gallons are different in size...Canadian is 32, USA is 28?..
Food is more expensive in Canada..milk,cheese,bread..are much,much lower priced in USA..electronic goods are pricier in Canada...
Even beer is way more expensive in Canada..in fact..you can get Canadian beer in the US..for cheaper than we can buy here in Canada..figure that!..

wayfair

swollen member
While the individual jobs are different in nature, isn't the operation that loads the package cars called "Preload"? You make work on "unload" unloading trailers, she over there is in small sort or the sort aisle-a sorter-while I am "a loader", loading package cars. But we are all "preloaders".

here where I work, there are 3 shifts for hub employees, twilight, midnight, and sunrise