Shop Steward siding with company @ Panel hearing?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What exactly do you mean by "be on the companies side" ?

I was told that the steward told the fired driver, in advance that he's going to be on the company's side, so I guess that means he will vote (without hearing anymore facts) to uphold the termination.

What are egrgious methods violations?

extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant: an egregious mistake; an egregious liar. Synonyms: gross, outrageous, notorious, shocking.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So the steward should blindly support the member and disregard the egregious methods violations?

Umm...

I would think, this isn't the first time the steward has tried to council the driver.

You "heard through the grapevine"? Is this something you heard based on another member's experience with this steward? I can't really fathom how you could know how the steward is going to react before the hearing.

Sounds a little strange.

We all pay money for good representation.

You do realize.... they are your fellow employee's.... elected in to office ?

I don't know too many, that have a Law Degree.

And, as a member in good standing.... you have the opportunity to run for office.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of info members will withhold from Stewards/Agents and expect positive results.

It is easier to help someone, being truthful. No matter.... how much it hurts.

Lie to your steward, BA, and your Local Union....

And you get what you pay for.

-Bug-

Last edited:

Ouch

We as stewards stick our neck out their for a lot of members. This whole thread is based on hear say. I as a steward have to level the playing field. Their is precedence set on just about every punishment handed down by management. This is what saves a lot of us from being deciplined. I require management to treat everyone equally. If others have been caught breaking the same rules or methods why has this employee been disciplined any differently.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
ABSOLUTELY! We all pay money for good representation. How would you feel if you hired an attorney to represent you and he decided to agree with opposing counsel in the courtroom instead of represent you?
How much do you think your steward is getting paid to look after your best interests??

upschuck

Our stewards do not pay Union dues. I agree that for a lot of stewards, considering how much extra time they put in defending members, that is not much.
and I believe they get paid during meetings/concerns with management, that gives them OT on the other end. They deserve every bit they get.

QKRSTKR

I was told that the steward told the fired driver, in advance that he's going to be on the company's side, so I guess that means he will vote (without hearing anymore facts) to uphold the termination.

extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant: an egregious mistake; an egregious liar. Synonyms: gross, outrageous, notorious, shocking.
The only time I know of that a union person cast a vote to keep or terminate is at a state panel hearing. Local hearing is usually between the labor manager and BA. No voting. Either they agree to bring you back or they don't. If the company won't budge your on your way to a state panel where other BA s will sit on a panel, hear your case and vote. Not a steward.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How much do you think your steward is getting paid to look after your best interests??

Not a lot.

Most.... don't do it for the money.

Our stewards do not pay Union dues. I agree that for a lot of stewards, considering how much extra time they put in defending members, that is not much.

My Local does the same thing.... which equates to $3.00 to $4.00 a day.

A good steward does it, to help their fellow members.

"Selfless" conviction.... to use your abilities, and help uphold the contract.

-Bug-

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Not a lot.

Most.... don't do it for the money.

My Local does the same thing.... which equates to $3.00 to $4.00 a day.

A good steward does it, to help their fellow members.

"Selfless" conviction.... to use your abilities, and help uphold the contract.

-Bug-
Trust me I know

UPSGUY72

So, I'm going to keep this pretty vague, to maintain some kind of privacy.

We had a driver get fired for what I will only say were egrgious methods violations.

I heard through the grapevine today that one of our shop stewards is going to be on the company's side. Has anyone ever had a union rep betray (for lack of a better word) a dues paying member?

No one in my center has ever heard of anything like that happening.

I wonder how many other times this driver has been in hot watter. At some point in time you burn your last bridge.

People need the realize that being in the union isn't a excuse to act like a total a--hole and not have to follow the rules...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I wonder how many other times this driver has been in hot watter. At some point in time you burn your last bridge.
People need the realize that being in the union isn't a excuse to act like a total a--hole and not have to follow the rules...

Quite a few times, actually. And several times, he was caught doing this exact same thing

Inthegame

Quite a few times, actually. And several times, he was caught doing this exact same thing
So maybe the shop steward in question has gotten this member out of dodo in the past? And maybe this member swore on his mothers life he'd never do it again? And maybe the steward convinced management to back off as our guy has finally reformed? And then the pattern repeats...how familar.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was a reason for my rather harsh response to the OP. We had a seasonal driver who was fired after his helper accused him of sexual harassment. The shop steward and BA worked on his behalf and he was brought back to work on the inside and to drive only as needed. He then decided to try to hide a couple of undelivered packages by giving them to a 22.3, who let mgt know what had happened. The shop steward and BA went to bat once again and the driver was brought back under a last chance agreement. The last straw came about a week later when he decided to sheet a couple of call tags for towns 10 minutes apart within a minute of one another away from both addresses. The BA and both shop stewards attended his reinstatement meeting but it was obvious that they had grown tired of the situation and the overall sentiment of the drivers was that this guy had to go. The termination was upheld.

Being a part of the union does not mean that the union is required to defend stupidity.

over9five

Staff member
Being a part of the union does not mean that the union is required to defend stupidity.

Agreed. But what happened to the 22.3 rat? This person needs to be kicked out of the union. This person:
A. Shouldn't have accepted the packages.
and B. Should have kept his mouth shut.
Hopefully, everyone knows about him being a rat, and is treating him accordingly.

"He then decided to try to hide a couple of undelivered packages by giving them to a 22.3, who let mgt know what had happened."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Agreed. But what happened to the 22.3 rat? This person needs to be kicked out of the union. This person:
A. Shouldn't have accepted the packages.
and B. Should have kept his mouth shut.
Hopefully, everyone knows about him being a rat, and is treating him accordingly.

"He then decided to try to hide a couple of undelivered packages by giving them to a 22.3, who let mgt know what had happened."
Agreed.....every building has a rat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Show me in the Teamster oath where it says I must participate in a lie or coverup and I will get back to you.

The 22.3 did the right thing---I would have done the same.