Shop Steward

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our Union Local has been cracking down lately on drivers who go in early and sort their car off the clock. One of our drivers joked that he was to be given $50 for each driver who did this. We are only supposed to go to our pkg cars to put our personal belongings in there, sign off the DVIR and make sure we have everything that we need for the day. Have I ever gone through and did a little sorting off the clock? I would be a liar if I said no, especially with a new preloader. I have found that, with the advent of EDD/PAS, I really don't need to go in to the car prior to start time. My loader usually has the car closed out or is loading the last WalMart pkg (WalMart sucks!!) as I am coming on to the belt and sorting my NDA. He is going driving starting Monday, which sucks for me but is well deserved on his part, so I have to train a new loader. Yes, the preload sup may train new loaders but it is the driver who "trains" the loader.

Braveheart

Our center manager has decided that our shop steward is no longer allowed to enter the building before 730 am. He was apparently catching and filing grievances on too many instances of supervisors working, so the center manager decided if he doesn't see them doing it he can't file. We are waiting to see what happens since their is no restriction on any other drivers entering it seems a bit discriminatory.
Call union ASAP due to violation of labor laws.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
what's the big deal with a supervisor helping out for a little bit? i heard there was a grievance filed at our hub for a supervisor 'working'...
i'm 34 and this is the first union job i've ever had and I just can't understand some of the thinking...
Without contract language that prohibits supervisors working....you wouldnt have a job. All the work would be done by "supervisors" making half of what you do.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
At least you have a shop steward. Seriously our shop steward has been bought off by management. Our Stewart gets all the days off road he wants (inside work), Gets an automatic package car, Goes out with less than 50 stops a day. In return he has to keep the drivers at bay and make sure that everyone signs all documents ....
Sounds like the members of our "safety committee"....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
He has no rights, he is in a "right to work" state.
The majority of the working population, in a right-to-work state, does not have many rights. However, being in the union does give us more rights than the normal working population. If this issue cannot be resolved through the higher ups at the Local then it should be taken to NLRB.

LKLND3380

Our center manager has decided that our shop steward is no longer allowed to enter the building before 730 am. He was apparently catching and filing grievances on too many instances of supervisors working, so the center manager decided if he doesn't see them doing it he can't file. We are waiting to see what happens since their is no restriction on any other drivers entering it seems a bit discriminatory.

Preloaders should have their own Shop Steward and Alternate Shop Steward. Two years ago we had one Shop Steward and two Alternate Shop Stewards on the preload. The drivers have a Shop Steward and two Alternate Shop Stewards.

Here is what you do... DOCCUMENT supervisors working and the hours they worked. Get the names of people who witnessed it. File a grievence and make sure it is alot of hours... I think the last grievence filed in my building for Supes working was for $1,500.00 a couple months ago...

LKLND3380

ok, wouldnt it be easier, and more cost effective to hire another loader. Ups continues to cry about money, but continues to do counterproductive things...it makes no friend'ing sense. step over the dollar to grab the penny, over, and over, and over again. Can someone explain why this is happening, oh....im tired, soooo tired. Heres an idea, maybe ups mgt should have the same incentives as the fedex managers, where if they dont make a passing grade with the people they manage they get no bonus, or theyre gone.

The supes are there and the supes pay for their own benefits... Why would UPS want to hire an hourly and give away benefits?

It helps the buildings numbers look good - x amount of hourlies and x amount of packages...

LKLND3380

At least you have a shop steward. Seriously our shop steward has been bought off by management. Our Stewart gets all the days off road he wants (inside work), Gets an automatic package car, Goes out with less than 50 stops a day. In return he has to keep the drivers at bay and make sure that everyone signs all documents like the 1/2 hour lunch thing. Our Steward was first in line to sign it. I just tell everyone I know, Were a non-union center. I'm not kidding people.

Talk to your business agent and then talk to your co-workers... You can have this Steward removed and elect someone new...

LKLND3380

what's the big deal with a supervisor helping out for a little bit? i heard there was a grievance filed at our hub for a supervisor 'working'...

i'm 34 and this is the first union job i've ever had and I just can't understand some of the thinking...

IF the Supes did not plan for a heavy day and put the start time at 4:45AM and then they find out at 3:30AM they are getting 2300%. They need to start calling people in early OR call in drivers to help...

If people call in (that never happens) then there should be a call in list UPDATED EVERY MONTH of drivers willing to come in early. Drivers should be called in IMMEDIATELY... Not at 6:30AM or 7:00AM...

The problem is when salary Supes do hourly work they are taking money out of YOUR pocket. You could be working those extra 10 minutes EACH day = 50 minutes a week. You could be helping your co-workers if you wrap up early...

Now if the Supes are doing the same work - handling packages each day - then they need to hire an extra body to do that work...

W

westsideworma

Usually when I come in and my back door is closed, it means it is one UGLY load.

Actually Helen while I don't doubt what you say, the closing of the doors is a PAS method (closed door preload) under the premise that since the car is dispatched via EDD/PAS and the preloader loaded it according to the PALs you should just be able to get in and go. Its to reduce driver AM time.

Obviously, there is much resistance to this method (and I understand why), but we are told to shut the doors everyday after the last package out of the cage and in the package car.

W

westsideworma

The supes are there and the supes pay for their own benefits... Why would UPS want to hire an hourly and give away benefits?

It helps the buildings numbers look good - x amount of hourlies and x amount of packages...

At our building Lake we are counted in the staffing if we have to work. We must submit our time. However you are right it still saves them the wages and benefit contributions per hour worked that an hourly would incur unless they call in (we have paid sick days here for hourly workers). Most people I see call in are doing it because lately they get paid just as much (4 hours straight pay for a sick day) or more to stay at home than to come in as some don't get the hours they used to.

Today was a horrible day staffing wise for us, it was in the double digits (people calling in). then again all hourly workers got their sick days and optional days replenished this month (may-may)

LKLND3380

My loader usually has the car closed out or is loading the last WalMart pkg (WalMart sucks!!) as I am coming on to the belt and sorting my NDA. He is going driving starting Monday, which sucks for me but is well deserved on his part, so I have to train a new loader. Yes, the preload sup may train new loaders but it is the driver who "trains" the loader.

Drivers should be allowed to come in early for a week to train ONE ON ONE with their preloaders. Each drivers package car has it's own quirks. Certain stops that are heavy and should go on the floor. I have three drivers that want their package cars loaded every other way. One doesn't want airs loaded, the other wants airs loaded in a tote and placed in the front of the cab...

It comes down to communication with the drivers because they know the route better than any preload supervisor.

Drivers should be allowed to come in early for a week to train ONE ON ONE with their preloaders. Each drivers package car has it's own quirks. Certain stops that are heavy and should go on the floor. I have three drivers that want their package cars loaded every other way. One doesn't want airs loaded, the other wants airs loaded in a tote and placed in the front of the cab...

It comes down to communication with the drivers because they know the route better than any preload supervisor.

No way...No custom loads...Follow PAS, no need to turn an unskilled labor job into rocket science.

LKLND3380

He has no rights, he is in a "right to work" state.

A legal contract entered into means some right are given and taken but both parties agree to the contract...

Being in a right to work state means you do not have to join the union - it is your option...

Being in the union gives you the right to elect and recall any elected union official. So if this person does not like the steward because the steward is not doing what they are elected to do - they can remove him from that position...

Most important thing is to read your contract and be familiar with it.

LKLND3380

The majority of the working population, in a right-to-work state, does not have many rights. However, being in the union does give us more rights than the normal working population. If this issue cannot be resolved through the higher ups at the Local then it should be taken to NLRB.

Being in a union gives us more rights because if UPS :censored2: with us in one area, we can strike nationally/globally...