Shop steward

GetTacosOrDieTrying

What's in the box!!!!!?
In our local the BA posts a sign up sheet whenever we need a new steward. If only one person signs then that person becomes the steward. If there is more than one person interested they will hold an election with the person receiving the most votes named steward.
Thank you!
I gotta ask the stewie next week how it's done here.

2Slow

In our local the BA posts a sign up sheet whenever we need a new steward. If only one person signs then that person becomes the steward. If there is more than one person interested they will hold an election with the person receiving the most votes named steward.

This is how my local does it.
But there is only an election if there is a vacancy or if someone requests one. A steward can remain indefinitely if no one cares to step up, without the hassle of regular elections.
And the term is 3 years, but good stewards rarely even face elections.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our steward recently told me he wishes I were one. I don't know if he meant in his place or an alternate. I don't think I'd be interested though. Knowing the book is one thing. Knowing everything else that's not actually spelled out in black in white is another.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Our steward recently told me he wishes I were one. I don't know if he meant in his place or an alternate. I don't think I'd be interested though. Knowing the book is one thing. Knowing everything else that's not actually spelled out in black in white is another.

"Knowing everything that's not actually spelled out" just takes a little bit of experience. Worst case scenario, you tell a manager "no" and punt to the BA. The main thing about being a steward is having the nuts not to say "yes," everything else can be learned.

Too many of the guys on here that would probably be pretty damn solid sell themselves short like you just did.

Overpaid Union Thug

"Knowing everything that's not actually spelled out" just takes a little bit of experience. Worst case scenario, you tell a manager "no" and punt to the BA. The main thing about being a steward is having the nuts not to say "yes," everything else can be learned.

Too many of the guys on here that would probably be pretty damn solid sell themselves short like you just did.
I wouldn't call my reluctance to become a steward selling myself short. I also avoid it because I know that me being a steward would be a disaster for those that would have their own uncontractual agendas interrupted by someone like me.

I know our center needs someone like me who would rather just enforce the ENTIRE contract instead of ignoring certain parts. If or when I feel there is a majority of people in the center with that mindset then I might make a move. Otherwise my stint as a steward or alternate could be very short lived. LOL.

Right now there are just too many seniority drivers that have been spoiled for far too long. I'm definitely not shy about challenging their status quos. I actually did it recently. But too much change at once with these guys is asking way too much.

By The Book

I wouldn't call my reluctance to become a steward selling myself short. I also avoid it because I know that me being a steward would be a disaster for those that would have their own uncontractual agendas interrupted by someone like me.

I know our center needs someone like me who would rather just enforce the ENTIRE contract instead of ignoring certain parts. If or when I feel there is a majority of people in the center with that mindset then I might make a move. Otherwise my stint as a steward or alternate could be very short lived. LOL.

Right now there are just too many seniority drivers that have been spoiled for far too long. I'm definitely not shy about challenging their status quos. I actually did it recently. But too much change at once with these guys is asking way too much.
If you have a local that has its act together and will enforce the contract this will help your stress level if you become an alternate steward. If your main steward follows the contract and doesn't look the other way it will be helpful to you. It sounds like the contract is not followed more than it is followed by the higher seniority drivers which is sad. What I can say is the guys need representation. If you can relay information to the members, follow up on their questions, and have their backs, you will earn their respect. The selfish ones who want these side deals will probably not change but they will know where you stand and respect you for it. I handle one issue at a time and I was told you are there to represent the language not the member, this is from the IBT person at a training seminar.