Shopping (Union or Non-Union)?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I haven't shopped at Walmart for years and won't. I don't go their not because they are non-Union but because they are Anti-Union; there is a difference. There are not many Union stores here but I go to the smaller locally owned stores as much as possible.

I recently went to my locally owned Ace hardware store to buy a wheelbarrow.

Walmart had the same exact wheelbarrow for $15 cheaper, which isnt small change. But I went ahead and spent the extra money and gave my business to the local Ace store.

It was really a no-brainer. The Ace store has sponsored my sons Little League team in years past, and the owner also supports local charities and school fund raisers. The money that I spend there stays in my community and in the case of my sons Little League team it quite literally goes back into my pocket, since without a sponsor we parents would be paying for uniforms on our own.

Walmart doesnt do a damn thing for the communities that it infests, other than to siphon money straight back to Arkansas and from there to China. It gives nothing back. And thats why I dont shop there.

Why not a huge store chain that can compete with walmart with nothing made in china...AMERIMART...shop the American way

Are you serious. where would you get the merchandise to stock the shelves? And when Christmas season arrives don't even think of having a trim-a-tree department. I challenge anyone to find a Christmas ornament, light, artificial tree or decoration made in America. If you do your very lucky. Wish it was not true but, manufacturing left our shores decades ago. The only thing left to do is ask ourselves why?:dissapointed:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Original box marked: Made by Coby Glass Products, Woonsocket, R.I. for Alderbrook International Limited, Toronto, Canada.

The only reason I knew this is because I worked there during the summer when I was going to college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Original box marked: Made by Coby Glass Products, Woonsocket, R.I. for Alderbrook International Limited, Toronto, Canada.

The only reason I knew this is because I worked there during the summer when I was going to college.

Glad you found one. I guess hope is not lost after all. OK everyone...we have the top of the tree decorated...now decorate the rest of it. :happy2:

sano

Walmart doesn't do a damn thing for the communities that it infests, other than to siphon money straight back to Arkansas and from there to China. It gives nothing back. And that's why I don't shop there.

I agree with your point that your money was better spent at your local hardware than at a big box.

However, In my experience Wal-Mart is actually quite generous in their local communities. In the small town I used to live in the Wal-Mart was one of the most dependable source of funding for local charities. Not real big donations but 1-2k per year to the local chapters of Habitat, Lions, Rotary, Food Pantry, Make a wish etc.

Again I agree with your point. The other consideration is with some products Wal-Mart pushes the manufacture so hard on price that they need to cheapen the product to meet the price point that Wal-Mart needs. That wheelbarrow may in fact not have been the same. Could have been cheaper steel or lighter bearings or cheaper in some other way.

helenofcalifornia

I like Walmart but don't shop there. It's a "treat" for me when I visit my daughter in Sacto. Target and Costco for most items. I find that the things made specifically for Walmart in China are really poorly made and of inferior quality. Clothes are made of such stiff, scratchy material. You may be saving money but how long will it last? At Target you can get name brands as well at Costco. The Costco brand, Kirkland, is a good one and the are bringing in a few organic food items at an affordable price. I believe they are a union shop here too and the people working there are paid well with good bennies.

I try also to shop "on route." Good for their business, makes me feel good, and maybe they might think more favorably of UPS.

I really don't shop very much online. Just looking for a good 'ol brick and mortar store that carry American made Christmas ornaments. Not a big box necessarily, could just be your local hardware store or a mom and pop. You know what I mean...the kind Ups drivers deliver to in the communities they serve. :happy2:

I really don't shop very much online. Just looking for a good 'ol brick and mortar store that carry American made Christmas ornaments. Not a big box necessarily, could just be your local hardware store or a mom and pop. You know what I mean...the kind Ups drivers deliver to in the communities they serve. :happy2:
Then how could I tell you were? I don't even know where you live. To be honest with you, there are probably not many if any of what you are looking for.

Ms Spoken

Ok here is what I found out today. We are needing a new roof. Today we had a union contractor stop by for an estimate and he came out and told us that his company would be at least $4 grand higher than anyone else. Husband and I are both union so what do you do? Its not like that four grand is pocket change.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i use to shop at walmart, never again

they have 28 check lanes, but never more then 2 open

if you are very lucky, you only have to wait on 3 people to to check out before you

you think "oh this shouldnt take to long"

well then the cashier shaniqua wont stop talking, and the customer has to pay 1/3 in food stamps 1/3 in cash 1/3 on credit card

i go to meijer now, 24 hours a day...and they have 6 self check outs with no item limit, and 4 self checkouts with 12 item limit...PLUS actualy cashiers, you never have to wait at meijer

its a little more expensive, but to me its worth it

by the way i also dont care if the store is union or not, or green
Why is there an edit button in the middle of this post?

Christmas Lights Direct will make any configuration you want. Made in America.
Good call, 555.

So what store do I go into to buy these products. :happy2:

I bet you could also call em, so's you can get that down home feeling, Just Numbers.:wink2:

Here's an idea. If you see a store and wonder if the employee's are treated well, or if the bennies and pay are good, ask them. Let us know what the real life employee's think of the places where they work.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Ok here is what I found out today. We are needing a new roof. Today we had a union contractor stop by for an estimate and he came out and told us that his company would be at least $4 grand higher than anyone else. Husband and I are both union so what do you do? Its not like that four grand is pocket change.

I would pick the cheapest company with the best references that employs legal, documented workers.

I might not always do business with companies who employ union workers but I damn sure will not deal with a company who hires illegal ones.

That union contractor must primarily work on commercial projects or otherwise they would be more competitive pricewise.

You need a roofer who specializes on residential buildings, whether they are union or not.

Geeez, when I replaced the roof here the total was $4k. IMHO a 4k difference for a roof is just too much too pay to be able to say. " I only buy union".
When all things are equal, price, reputation, and material I would go with the union guys. I may even go union if the difference was only 1k.
I will not, knowingly pay for illegal labor and I do ask before the job starts.

A

anonymous6

If you want to be Teamster correct, you would not even wear your UPS uniform made in China because they use child labor. ( probably non union , ha ha )

A

anonymous6

Wal mart hires people that UPS will not. They hire elderly, physically and mentally handicapped , people that practically no one else will hire.

UPS tries to push out old people and if you happen to get hurt or have any kind of physical or mental problem you are treated like a pariah.

Also, thousands of WalMart employees have retired millionaires.

Poor exploited employees.

A

anonymous6

Didn't the NMA once read that the company agreed to buy all uniforms from a Union supplier?

Don't know about that , but if you want to take this Union Correct BS further you wouldn't be able to buy practically anything.

Half our oil comes from the middle east. Almost everything comes from China , the most exploited people on earth. How about that diamond ring you bought the old lady? Ever see how those mine workers are treated ? Thousands die every year so you can have that overpriced stone.

Clothes, from Latin and South America. All mostly child labor.

We buy Union goods and services when it makes good sense.