short term disability and withdrawing from union

jamie deangelis

I am going out on short term disability and was told I should withdrawl from the union. Has anyone heard this? I am afraid I will lose my seniority in the company or They will be able to fire me easier for being out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am going out on short term disability and was told I should withdrawl from the union. Has anyone heard this? I am afraid I will lose my seniority in the company or They will be able to fire me easier for being out.
You won't lose your seniority....you need to talk to your steward and BA.

barnyard

KTM rider
You have a Health and Welfare card. On that card are phone numbers for your union office and the H&W office. Call them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Signing a withdrawal card and withdrawing from the union are not one in the same. You sign the card so that you won't be asked to pay back any dues you may owe.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you are ever going to be off more than 30 days, for one reason or another, go to your local union hall and get a withdrawal card. You do not have to pay dues for any month that you are off for the entire month.

If you do not get one, you will have to pay dues for the time you are off. It does not affect your job, union status or anything. The only thing it affects is that you cannot vote in a union election if you are on a withdrawal card. When you get back, you come off your withdrawal and are back to being a member in good standing.

Withdrawing from the union is a different story. If you do that, good luck. You will need it.

PT Car Washer

I got a withdrawal card a couple times for extended military call ups. No problems. When I returned I simply notified the Union and they started my Union due withdraws again. Worked with a girl that was off several months for a pregnancy and didn't get a withdrawal card. When she came back she had to pay all the back Union dues.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I was on short term back in Dec and I did nothing. I just called whoever I was suppose to call and tell them I'm out for a month, then they sent me 5 pay checks for the weeks I was out. That was it. I let the Doctors and Insurance handle the rest between themselves. I didn't call the Union or anything like that. I will say this, make sure you call someone once a week and make sure bid sheets haven't come out while your out. If you don't sign bids while on short term, you are SOL.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was on short term back in Dec and I did nothing. I just called whoever I was suppose to call and tell them I'm out for a month, then they sent me 5 pay checks for the weeks I was out. That was it. I let the Doctors and Insurance handle the rest between themselves. I didn't call the Union or anything like that. I will say this, make sure you call someone once a week and make sure bid sheets haven't come out while your out. If you don't sign bids while on short term, you are SOL.

If you are going to be out for 30 days or less there is no need to sign a withdrawal card.

Good advice on calling to see if any new bid sheets have been posted.