Short term disability increase

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by scooby0048, Oct 5, 2016.

1. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Can someone enlighten me on short term disability? Where am I getting the figure of up to a max of $700 in 2017. I swear somewhere I read that the rates of coverage were increasing or is this for long term disability?

Currently the rate of coverage is:
    60% of average weekly base pay up to $500 per week for a maximum of 26 weeks; and includes continued coverage while on short term.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I "only" got $300/week after my foot surgery.

3. Sorry Scoob. I don't have an answer.

4. scooby0048

Pre or after tax?

5. scooby0048

That's ok, this is one of those subjects that unless you've used it recently, most don't even bother paying attention to. Myself included, hence why I'm standing here clueless now.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Pre.

7. scooby0048

$300 a week only to have taxes taken out on top of that is worse than a slap in the face. I was under the impression STD rates were the same throughout the country.

8. fres431

fres431 Active Member

My short term disability was tax free as well as the $90 per week from union paid no taxes on it.

9. scooby0048

So how much did you get and how long ago was this? I've never heard of STD being tax-free just workman's comp.

10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

$275/week here.

11. scooby0048

So let me get this straight, you only got $275 a week before taxes? That's just heinous! That's not even minimum wage. Dave said he only received $300. Are the rates different in each local? I got my figure straight from the Teamcare site.

I'm still curious about the increase because I am almost positive that the amount goes up to $700 in 2017. Can someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

12. scooby0048

You just came off of STD too didn't you?

13. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Where was your other foot?

14. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

$400 in 2013. Like $361 after taxes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I was on STD twice in the last year. I got the $275/week for STD and then I also filed for unemployment and was paid $530/week (after taxes) for UC.

16. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one on the planet who still said heinous

17. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Heinous. Lol. Teamcare dis here is 500 per wk, taxable, you can choose to not have taxes withheld tho.

18. scooby0048

Heinous just seems appropriate for the paltry amount you get from STD. Although I guess something is better than nothing.

You are in Central too right? I was unaware of not having it taxed. The $500 is what we are allotted. 60% of average weekly base pay up to $500 per week for a maximum of 26 weeks.

19. scooby0048

I thought that about wanton and lascivious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

For some "strange" reason, they don't include November/December when calculating the average base pay.

You must also be under the "continuous care" of a doctor or TeamCare will cut off your medical coverage. "Continuous care" is intentionally ambiguous, but is roughly one doctor's visit per month. I had a member that had a neurological problem (doc only needed to see him every 6-8 weeks or so) that basically had to hit up an Urgent Care for a unneeded visit 1x/month in order to maintain coverage.