Short term disability

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happened to Iowa? Next stop in the rotation?

Davenport is one of 3 choices for his next rotation which is due to start in March. He is actually living in Lansdale PA but has spent most of this rotation working on the west coast. His other choices are Colorado Springs and Washington DC. He should find out fairly soon where he will be going next.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bump....does anybody have supplemental short term disability insurance?

I used to be a huge advocate of Combined. That was until my daughter pointed how much I was spending per month (>$100) versus how much I was getting in return (claims).

I put that money aside each month "just in case".

DOK

Bump....does anybody have supplemental short term disability insurance?
I do, Assurity, the premium is $69 per month. Wondering if it's worth it, guys around here have been collecting unemployment compensation while off on disability.

calcio56

I've seen premiums through aflac at around$30/month wit a 2k payment as soon as your claim is apporved.

The biggest catch I see is that you would have to be out of work for 6 weeks.

DOK

I've seen premiums through aflac at around$30/month wit a 2k payment as soon as your claim is apporved.

The biggest catch I see is that you would have to be out of work for 6 weeks.
Can an individual buy an Aflac policy or do you have to be a part of a group?
Mine pays $2k per month but starts after being out 2 weeks. That's probably why my premium is a little higher.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do, Assurity, the premium is $69 per month. Wondering if it's worth it, guys around here have been collecting unemployment compensation while off on disability.

Payments from supplemental policies are in addition to and not affected by comp, disability, unemployment or any other governmental financial assistance.

calcio56

Can an individual buy an Aflac policy or do you have to be a part of a group?
Mine pays $2k per month but starts after being out 2 weeks. That's probably why my premium is a little higher.

So the aflac one I was looking at doesn't pay unless you're out of work for 6 weeks......that's a long time.

Have you ever used yours?

DOK

So the aflac one I was looking at doesn't pay unless you're out of work for 6 weeks......that's a long time.

Have you ever used yours?
No, never used it.
You can ask your Aflac guy if he can shorten the elimination period so you can get paid quicker. Some let you collect from day one I believe. Your premium goes up and down in correlation with your elimination period.

jeepupser

I was on disability last year for almost 6 months. If you get hurt on the job you get full compensation if you get hurt off the job you get between 50-80% of what you would normally make.

calcio56

I was on disability last year for almost 6 months. If you get hurt on the job you get full compensation if you get hurt off the job you get between 50-80% of what you would normally make.

Yeah, on the job you'll get workers compensation. No need for supplemental disability insurance.

I'm more concerned with being hurt off the job. Where I am std pays aboUT 200/week.

I get some of you go with the std and unemployment but something about filing for unemployment doesn't sit right with me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong!

Comp is not even close to full compensation.

STD is no where 50-80% of what you normally make. I was on STD earlier this year and I received the grand total of $300/week.

DOK

Yeah, on the job you'll get workers compensation. No need for supplemental disability insurance.

I'm more concerned with being hurt off the job. Where I am std pays aboUT 200/week.

I get some of you go with the std and unemployment but something about filing for unemployment doesn't sit right with me.
The unemployment office will say, "don't they have phones you can answer or papers to file?" No need to feel bad about filing for unemployment.

Re-Raise

Wrong!

Comp is not even close to full compensation.

STD is no where 50-80% of what you normally make. I was on STD earlier this year and I received the grand total of $300/week.
I was just on comp for a couple of months and was getting $1045 a week with no tax liability. I bring home about $1200 after taxes usually while working.