Should a high schooler working at UPS bother to go to college?

Ant12

I'm 17 and I'm a loader. I kind of want to go to college and I will if I can get a scholarship/parents will help me out. Since I could become a driver by my early 20's making like 70,000$ a year, is it worth even spending 100,000$ to go to college to get a professional job that starts at 50,000$?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The answer depends upon whether you want to use your brain or back for the next 40 years.

If you are unsure about college start at a 2 year school. It is cheaper and will give you a taste of what college is all about without spending a ton of money.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I'm 17 and I'm a loader. I kind of want to go to college and I will if I can get a scholarship/parents will help me out. Since I could become a driver by my early 20's making like 70,000$ a year, is it worth even spending 100,000$ to go to college to get a professional job that starts at 50,000$?

It depends on what you want to do and what you want to study. If it's something technical/engineering related and you have a passion for it, then go to school. If it's Art History, then think about it. Also, consider a state school.

I got hired a month before my 18th birthday. I took an unintentional year off from school and got my 4 year BA in just under 6 years while working. My degree is in history and while I don't regret going to college, I make more working at UPS (comparatively, $7k less/year but with much better benefits working 1/3rd - 1/2 the hours) than a first year high school teacher in my area. I wanted to go back and get my masters but it's a bad idea, economically, when I would make more as a truck driver (eventually, whenever I can bid into package or feeders) than as a community college teacher without adding onto my $30k in student loans.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A college degree is good insurance and it gives you choices.
You can get a degree for less than $25,000.
At your age, you should not expect to have the pay, benefits and pension like current drivers do ... it's not sustainable.
Don't be a dope ... get your degree.