Should a high schooler working at UPS bother to go to college?

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by Ant12, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Ant12

Ant12 Member

I'm 17 and I'm a loader. I kind of want to go to college and I will if I can get a scholarship/parents will help me out. Since I could become a driver by my early 20's making like 70,000$ a year, is it worth even spending 100,000$ to go to college to get a professional job that starts at 50,000$?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The answer depends upon whether you want to use your brain or back for the next 40 years.

If you are unsure about college start at a 2 year school. It is cheaper and will give you a taste of what college is all about without spending a ton of money.

3. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

It depends on what you want to do and what you want to study. If it's something technical/engineering related and you have a passion for it, then go to school. If it's Art History, then think about it. Also, consider a state school.

I got hired a month before my 18th birthday. I took an unintentional year off from school and got my 4 year BA in just under 6 years while working. My degree is in history and while I don't regret going to college, I make more working at UPS (comparatively, $7k less/year but with much better benefits working 1/3rd - 1/2 the hours) than a first year high school teacher in my area. I wanted to go back and get my masters but it's a bad idea, economically, when I would make more as a truck driver (eventually, whenever I can bid into package or feeders) than as a community college teacher without adding onto my $30k in student loans.

4. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

A college degree is good insurance and it gives you choices.
    You can get a degree for less than $25,000.
    At your age, you should not expect to have the pay, benefits and pension like current drivers do ... it's not sustainable.
    Don't be a dope ... get your degree.

5. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Are you working at freight or package?

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Would your advice be any different?

7. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Just wondering how he figures on making 70k a year at Freight at 20 yrs old.

And, I'd probably suggest running away from Freight.

8. witheeze

witheeze Jack-knife

Run fast

Sent using BrownCafe App