Should a part-timer pay Union dues or wait until Full-time?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is a question I have pondered.
I don't think I would pay dues as a part-timer but I would as a full-timer.

What say you?

Re-Raise

Of course, if they expect to reap the rewards of collective bargaining and the protection that comes from Teamster representation.

jaker

trolling
If you want everthing a paying member has , then yes

The only reason I see someone not paying is if they are single and has no plans to stay a upsers for life

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hoaxter,
Please tell me:

-- How many jobs provide no-cost benefits for PT employees that entail little out-of-pocket costs, including no-cost prescriptions;
-- Do you believe UPS offers benefits to its PT employees because it's a generous company that cares about the well-being of its employees ... or because its contractually required.

If the Teamsters are successful in negotiating no-cost benefits that keep out-of-pockets low (I do expect them to increase), then yes, I believe PT should join the union & pay their dues. If there's out-of-pocket fees attached -- in either the form of co-premiums and/or co-pays & deductibles -- that make the benefits cost prohibitive to the PTers so that they forgo them, then no, I do not believe so.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxter,
Please tell me:

-- How many jobs provide no-cost benefits for PT employees that entail little out-of-pocket costs, including no-cost prescriptions;
-- Do you believe UPS offers benefits to its PT employees because it's a generous company that cares about the well-being of its employees ... or because its contractually required.

If the Teamsters are successful in negotiating no-cost benefits that keep out-of-pockets low (I do expect them to increase), then yes, I believe PT should join the union & pay their dues. If there's out-of-pocket fees attached -- in either the form of co-premiums and/or co-pays & deductibles -- that make the benefits cost prohibitive to the PTers so that they forgo them, then no, I do not believe so.

How about the first and maybe even 2nd year of employment?

When I signed up for cable TV, I got to see all the channels I paid for.
I would not have signed up for cable TV if all I got the first year was the QVC channel.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How about the first and maybe even 2nd year of employment?

When I signed up for cable TV, I got to see all the channels I paid for.
I would not have signed up for cable TV if all I got the first year was the QVC channel.

You avoided my questions :). And just yesterday I was pulled to witness an employee -- who's been with the company since shortly before peak -- receive a warning letter for not reaching quota on PPH and bags per minute working in SurePost. I tried to plead with my Preload Manager that the new FT sup is insisting that we bag oversized packages that fit one per bag, since he's benchmarked on a certain number of packages being bagged overall, and this employee is now covering that job thus his PPH and bags per minute won't be up to par. Still, he walked away with the warning. I told this employee 'don't worry, we'll file & have it removed' and he told me 'man, if it wasn't for the benefits [which he won't have until next January] I would walk away now.' So... got the double-play going.

Do you think you should be able to use Microsoft Windows at home, but not pay for it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you think you should be able to use Microsoft Windows at home, but not pay for it?

Not if I can't use it for the first year.

I don't think I should pay the Union to negotiate and fight for me to get less than minimum wages (in many states).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Not if I can't use it for the first year.

I don't think I should pay the Union to negotiate and fight for me to get less than minimum wages (in many states).

OK, then I'll compromise my thought and agree that no, they shouldn't have to pay for their first year. But once they receive their benefits...

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
I absolutely think we should pay them but I think it would be at least fair to scale them back a few dollars. I make 12 an hour so if I work my 17.5 that would be 190 a week before taxes and my union dues are 32 dollars so I'd bring home around 125 dollars a week so it does really suck. I'd say when you start out at 8.50 the dues should be about 15 a month and then maybe increase it by 2 dollars a month for every raise you get. Then when a part timer moves to full time jump it up really high because then it wouldn't hurt as much. Just my 2 cents.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
as a PTer you never really face any high-risk situations where your job could be put in jeopardy with a mistake or bad decision, so there is little need for extra job protection
further, you're only making 150$ or so a week, the dues would really cut into your paychecks

as a FTer, totally different story

CharleyHustle

my union dues are 32 dollars

Are you paying $32 a week? At $12/hr $32 a month is still a bit excessive for dues. Maybe they are taking initiation fees? You need to check into the by-laws of your local, and maybe even attempt to change them, be warned this can be a drawn out process. Dues even for full time can seem excessive, to compare my wife is a public school teacher and every year I make more than she does but she always pays more in dues, she doesn't make overtime so on base pay if I worked only 40 hours I would probably pay a higher percentage.

I'm in Michigan which just passed Right-to-Work law and we are in the process of voting to institute a representation fee in all Michigan locals. Something similar is being challenged in the teacher union, the article is in the Detroit News.
Taylor schools, union sued over contract that skirts right to work | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

McGee

I'm in Michigan which just passed Right-to-Work law and we are in the process of voting to institute a representation fee in all Michigan locals. Something similar is being challenged in the teacher union, the article is in the Detroit News.
Taylor schools, union sued over contract that skirts right to work | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Well in that case, won't they also have to go after Wayne State also since they had just ratified an 8 year contract also?

QKRSTKR

When I was part-time we had to pay full union dues. The same full -time employees payed. When I went full -time they reduced part-time dues to half. So I've always been screwed on dues and have done just fine. Paying nothing is ridiculous, sounds like union breaking talk to me.

No one forces people to work for a union company. If you want to be non-union, go apply at FedEx. That's why I disagree with right to work laws. If I know a place is union, I realize I'll have to pay dues and join the union when applying for job. For example, where I live 2 stores are right across the street from one another. One is union, one is not. If I don't want to be in a union, I go to wal mart. If I want to be union, I go to the other. Simple.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I were PT in a RTW state, I would pay dues the day that I became eligible for benefits. If I understand my local correctly, my dues pays for the staff that administers benefits. Not paying dues would make it difficult for the local to pay the people that need to get that work done.

I do not live in a RTW state and back when I was PT, I compared my dues to what we would have had to pay for benefits through where my wife worked. It was about $350/month cheaper for me to pay dues. That is quite the value.

InsideUPS

What say you?

Don't Right to Work states already have this option?

I believe that part-timers should pay Union dues based on the fact that they receive Union negotiated benefits. That said, I also believe that part-timers should be exempt from "initiation fees". These fees have gone up at our Local to $200. A reduction in Union dues for part-timers may also be an option. I realize that Union dues are scaled....in our area (2.5 X Hourly Rate + $6.00).

UPS Preloader

What say you?

If you are looking at it from just a health benefit standpoint, I would say no, or maybe a reduced rate. But having seen several part timers need representation in their first years for various reasons, I definitely feel they should be paying dues. If they are going to benefit and be protected by the collective bargaining agreement, they should be paying dues.