Should a school be able to monitor your child's facebook?

beentheredonethat

I realize I'm a bit old and have a view point of a parent now.

Granted, nothing like FB existed when I was 12. But if I said or did half the things this girl said and did at 12, I wouldn't be worrying about what the school. My parents would have made sure I knew that kind of behavior was not tolerated. I probably wouldn't have been able to sit down for a loooong time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I realize I'm a bit old and have a view point of a parent now.

Granted, nothing like FB existed when I was 12. But if I said or did half the things this girl said and did at 12, I wouldn't be worrying about what the school. My parents would have made sure I knew that kind of behavior was not tolerated. I probably wouldn't have been able to sit down for a loooong time.

So, in this case, you have not been there and done that?

If its put on FB in a " public" fashion then it's game on for all to see. However, short of threats of violence or planned illegal activity, then no one other than the parental units should have any say.

That being said, yes, I watch my daughters FB page.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Parents need to start/go back to parenting and school needs to go back to just teaching. Parents need to be nosy and, yes, read their kid's FB. When they move out, they can have privacy.

over9five

Staff member
This is a case of "big fish in a little pond". Some damn school official cop wannabe thinks he has the right to interrogate a young child. If some idiot school official EVER did that to my daughter without my being there, I'd have more than just words for the bully. Their job is to TEACH, how 'bout they do that?
I would sue the school district for violating her rights.