Should I be worrying about things like this?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
anyone notice a common theme with new members here?

" I love my job and care about doing it well."

then a couple months later they are saying " I hate this job. how do you guys last 30 years? friend this effing place."

if they last they are griping 24/7 for the next 30 years.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
anyone notice a common theme with new members here?

" I love my job and care about doing it well."

then a couple months later they are saying " I hate this job. how do you guys last 30 years? friend this effing place."

if they last they are griping 24/7 for the next 30 years.
You know the difference between a baby and a driver?

A baby will quit crying,eventually.

Paranoid part timer

It's an all guy sort so no fixating on the females haha. My 3 other co workers threaten to quit every other day, wish one of them would. I Hope I don't turn into one of those people. A majority of our drivers are happy for the most part.
Even being part time you can't beat the benefits, I'm in it for the long run hopefully. But only time will tell I guess. I'm just happy I'm not universally hated by all of the driver's at my center like pretty much the rest of the sort. I guess I must be doing something right. Sadly backing not being of those things.

PT Car Washer

It's an all guy sort so no fixating on the females haha. My 3 other co workers threaten to quit every other day, wish one of them would. I Hope I don't turn into one of those people. A majority of our drivers are happy for the most part.
Even being part time you can't beat the benefits, I'm in it for the long run hopefully. But only time will tell I guess. I'm just happy I'm not universally hated by all of the driver's at my center like pretty much the rest of the sort. I guess I must be doing something right. Sadly backing not being of those things.
Try not parking so close. I know you want to show off your parking skills but you don't make it easy for the drivers to get out in the morning. I have seen cars leaning on one side after being loaded and touching the top of the car next to it. No way side windows are $1500. Maybe $50 plus $50 labor. The accident could keep you from going driving for a year.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
1df14c3a9e65555bbc10cfd61ca01212fcd5816628c9ae2b6477ffa0ba135c13.jpg

I gave up reading that bit....

Paranoid part timer

Try not parking so close. I know you want to show off your parking skills but you don't make it easy for the drivers to get out in the morning. I have seen cars leaning on one side after being loaded and touching the top of the car next to it. No way side windows are $1500. Maybe $50 plus $50 labor. The accident could keep you from going driving for a year.
As a general rule if I can't walk down in between the trucks I'll move them so I can. I'm a really skinny guy so it doesn't take much, but hopefully enough to avoid touching.

iowa boy

Take your time and do the job correctly. I don't know of any vehicle positioner including myself who hasn't broken a mirror or something small, but windows are a bit different. You need to be focused on all sides of the package car.

You'll be fine...it won't affect your driving in a few years.

happy birthday, btw

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of the things we are taught is to "keep your eyes moving". Watch all sides of the truck and get it lined up with the stall before you back.

Then pull one or both mirrors in depending on truck size and back in slow increments.

If you are unsure of yourself, get out of the seat, open bulkhead door and walk to back doors and verify your space on all sides. There is no time rush to spot cars, you get paid by the hour.

ibleedbrown

scan area, push in all surrounding trucks mirrors, use both concave, convex and back up camera, move surrounding trucks if needed to give yourself room backing in, ask for a spotter or if you think the back is too difficult ask someone else to do it.

you might be banned from driving for a year but you're not 21 yet anyway.

if you think this gives you nausea good luck w your future driving career, you're gonna be like kenny from south park, puking every time you see a center manager lmao!!!!

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I hate these new.package cars with the A-Pillar glass. We've have SO many broken glasses from the automatic car wash, parking too close and the like.

The cost to repair in our area (Metro Detroit) to repair is around $200.

I don't think they even fill it out as an accident usually, unless they want payback on the offender.

Our drivers got it pretty good. As long as no one notices damage on the package car when they get back to the building, they just say the car wash must have done it the night before.

Rainman

Its all good.
The $1500 the manager mentioned is the BEAR cost that the center gets charged for a Tier 1 crash. That charge to the center is the same, whether the actual cost was nothing or $100,000.
An avoidable crash, which hitting a stationary object is, will disqualify you from bidding on any driving position for a year.
You've been with the company for two years, so unless you have disciplinary action against you already for other things, then the worst that will happen is you get written up. This can be used as an action for progressive discipline, so keep on your toes until this drops off ( where I am it would be 9 months, check with your BA. )
Take your time moving these cars, getting grief for taking a little longer is preferable to screwing up and getting discipline for it.
Good luck.