Should I be worrying about things like this?

Paranoid part timer

The $1500 the manager mentioned is the BEAR cost that the center gets charged for a Tier 1 crash. That charge to the center is the same, whether the actual cost was nothing or $100,000.
An avoidable crash, which hitting a stationary object is, will disqualify you from bidding on any driving position for a year.
You've been with the company for two years, so unless you have disciplinary action against you already for other things, then the worst that will happen is you get written up. This can be used as an action for progressive discipline, so keep on your toes until this drops off ( where I am it would be 9 months, check with your BA. )
Take your time moving these cars, getting grief for taking a little longer is preferable to screwing up and getting discipline for it.
Good luck.
Never had any disciplinary action against me, trying to keep as clean as possible. Honestly if I get banned for driving trucks for a year that's more of a relief than a punishment to me, I turn 21 the next day after that year is up haha. Less chance for my idiot self to break anything more. I got forced into doing it because the last guy didn't like it so they basically said "here you go have fun!". Which didn't make sense to me because I wasn't lowest in seniority, but regardless I loved it at first and never had a real issue until now. I just don't want something like this affecting my future is all. Thanks for explaining it better, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Paranoid part timer

scan area, push in all surrounding trucks mirrors, use both concave, convex and back up camera, move surrounding trucks if needed to give yourself room backing in, ask for a spotter or if you think the back is too difficult ask someone else to do it.

you might be banned from driving for a year but you're not 21 yet anyway.

if you think this gives you nausea good luck w your future driving career, you're gonna be like kenny from south park, puking every time you see a center manager lmao!!!!
My main thing that made me nauseas was the unknown of if I would be able to drive after something like this. I've talked to the center manager countless times and he's usually half way decent, even if it's for something I did wrong. But he really didn't tell me what would happen after this incident which is the real reason I was so nerved up about it. If I'm banned from driving for a year fine, I just turned 20 today. Just gives me less chance to screw anything else up for a year. I'll gladly go back to car wash if it means no more chance for me to ruin any opportunity for a future job. Call it being a puss but 11 bucks an hour to back trucks in isn't worth ruining a hopefully future career. Car wash looks like crap since I left it anyway, lucky to get them rinsed let alone washed. Not sure why everyone has such a problem washing, it's easy money.

iowa boy

The $1500 the manager mentioned is the BEAR cost that the center gets charged for a Tier 1 crash. That charge to the center is the same, whether the actual cost was nothing or $100,000.
An avoidable crash, which hitting a stationary object is, will disqualify you from bidding on any driving position for a year.
You've been with the company for two years, so unless you have disciplinary action against you already for other things, then the worst that will happen is you get written up. This can be used as an action for progressive discipline, so keep on your toes until this drops off ( where I am it would be 9 months, check with your BA. )
Take your time moving these cars, getting grief for taking a little longer is preferable to screwing up and getting discipline for it.
Good luck.

And I'm willing to bet this never gets reported as a Tier 1. They are just trying to scare the pants off this poor guy or gal.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
just my opinion here, and from what I have seen locally - as a vehicle positioner, you don't have to be DOT cert/ qualified because you aren't operating outside of UPS property. It's not at all the same animal nor are "crashes" treated the same. This isn't a crash in public therefore I'm going to assume it's treated differently.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
One of the rules of backing, When in doubt, Get out !!

I will say that doing the car lineup should make you a better driver.
Outside of a dock, you should never be closer to an object that would touch the truck.
If you think the lineup is tight now, wait a couple more weeks. It's showtime !!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How's a guy supposed to get in the PC if only 4 inches clearance?
We have different sized cars next to each other for the most part. For the few cars we have next to each other that are the same size they are rural routes where you'd be able to walk through the back or it's behind a beam, so you couldn't leave until the one next to you is out the door.

AKCoverMan

We have different sized cars next to each other for the most part. For the few cars we have next to each other that are the same size they are rural routes where you'd be able to walk through the back or it's behind a beam, so you couldn't leave until the one next to you is out the door.
Ok that would seem doable. But still think 4 inches is unreasonably close. If we were observed parking that close to anything we would hear about it.

We talk a lot about eliminating risk but planning a setup with 4 inch clearances seems to be inviting an increased frequency of minor damage to PCs during shifting/spotting as well as in the morning departure.

Not slamming you Frig I'm sure it's not your call. But I would wager that the person who did use that figure for the plan does not nor ever has driven a PC.

Paranoid part timer

One of the rules of backing, When in doubt, Get out !!

I will say that doing the car lineup should make you a better driver.
Outside of a dock, you should never be closer to an object that would touch the truck.
If you think the lineup is tight now, wait a couple more weeks. It's showtime !!!
I hear ya there, I hated parking the U hauls last year, the ones with trailer hitches that stick out are a pain to get straight on the dock.