Should I be worrying about things like this?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ok that would seem doable. But still think 4 inches is unreasonably close. If we were observed parking that close to anything we would hear about it.

We talk a lot about eliminating risk but planning a setup with 4 inch clearances seems to be inviting an increased frequency of minor damage to PCs during shifting/spotting as well as in the morning.

Not slamming you Frig I'm sure it's not your call. But I would wager that the person who did use that figure for the plan does not nor never has driven a PC.
We're in a building we grew out of about a decade ago. It puts us in a tough spot. They added a permanent dog house last year, but it still isn't enough. I've parked and pulled out vehicles under those conditions, and it isn't easy. But certainly not impossible. The big guys upstairs won't change anything until it's truly impossible.

I always love when corporate safety guys come in and see how close we have everything. They look like they're about to have a stroke.

Paranoid part timer

We're in a building we grew out of about a decade ago. It puts us in a tough spot. They added a permanent dog house last year, but it still isn't enough. I've parked and pulled out vehicles under those conditions, and it isn't easy. But certainly not impossible. The big guys upstairs won't change anything until it's truly impossible.

I always love when corporate safety guys come in and see how close we have everything. They look like they're about to have a stroke.
We have every truck in our building inside this time of year because the old stick 700s won't start in this cold, it's tight now, and we still have to fit 2 feeders in next week.

Paranoid part timer

You guys don't have plugs for outside vehicles?
I'm sure we do but we're either not allowed to use them of they don't work. Never seen one used since I've worked there. We're such a small center that we probably cost the company money rather than making any. There's one stick that won't start below 55, so that thing is pretty much helpless anyway.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm sure we do but we're either not allowed to use them of they don't work. Never seen one used since I've worked there. We're such a small center that we probably cost the company money rather than making any. There's one stick that won't start below 55, so that thing is pretty much helpless anyway.
Interesting. We're small as well and have them. But it gets bitterly cold here.

Paranoid part timer

I'm surprised they leave them on. The ones we have inside the mechanic will take the ball off so it's not an issue in the building or when a driver delivers to a dock.
Our poor mechanic is so swamped with broken stuff all the time from old crap trucks breaking that stuff like that probably never crosses his mind. There's only one of him after all.

Paranoid part timer

Glow plugs.....scheduled for repair!
Probably been written up a dozen times for not starting. They know it needs new ones, but they just ether the thing every morning instead. At least that's what I'm told anyway. We've had to push this thing in and out of spots to make lineup right. Too bad really, best stick in the building by far once it's running. At least from what I can tell.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ok that would seem doable. But still think 4 inches is unreasonably close. If we were observed parking that close to anything we would hear about it.

We talk a lot about eliminating risk but planning a setup with 4 inch clearances seems to be inviting an increased frequency of minor damage to PCs during shifting/spotting as well as in the morning departure.

Not slamming you Frig I'm sure it's not your call. But I would wager that the person who did use that figure for the plan does not nor ever has driven a PC.
I try for 2" space between cars, when positioning.
The reason is that preloaders need the cars as close as possible, to eliminate walking distance. Those 2" or 5" between cars means thousands of steps a day, and time/energy wasted.

oldngray

nowhere special
I try for 2" space between cars, when positioning.
The reason is that preloaders need the cars as close as possible, to eliminate walking distance. Those 2" or 5" between cars means thousands of steps a day, and time/energy wasted.

That is OK until you have one car with more weight loaded on one side and they lean into each other. Close together is good but not too close. 4 to 6 inches apart is better.

Have you ever tried to move cars stuck together without ripping the hell out of the sides?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is OK until you have one car with more weight loaded on one side and they lean into each other. Close together is good but not too close. 4 to 6 inches apart is better.

Have you ever tried to move cars stuck together without ripping the hell out of the sides?
I think that we all work in different types of buildings and the standards are different. If you go with 4-6" in our hub, there's no way you are fitting all of the PC's on line and you are going to have to tighten them up...nevermind the unhappy preloaders asking you or someone else to move them, again. I would try for 2"space, anyway..but it's usually a little more.

PT Car Washer

I think that we all work in different types of buildings and the standards are different. If you go with 4-6" in our hub, there's no way you are fitting all of the PC's on line and you are going to have to tighten them up...nevermind the unhappy preloaders asking you or someone else to move them, again. I would try for 2"space, anyway..but it's usually a little more.
We car washers used to take pride in how close we could park the cars on the boxline. Center managers finally asked us to park with a little bit more room as the drivers were making the sups pull the cars out because they were so tight.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

We have a new parker that thought he had to get cars as close as humanly possible. Last week two were about a tenth of an inch from touching each other. Driver refused to pull it out. So I had the pleasure of doing it with 5 guys sitting there waiting to catch me hit something.

You could say that it was addressed that evening.

oldngray

nowhere special
We have a new parker that thought he had to get cars as close as humanly possible. Last week two were about a tenth of an inch from touching each other. Driver refused to pull it out. So I had the pleasure of doing it with 5 guys sitting there waiting to catch me hit something.

You could say that it was addressed that evening.

If it was touching or so close I wasn't sure I could pull it out I would always make a sup do it. If he tears up a truck its not my problem. I wasn't going to risk being charged with an accident. All while I was standing around on the clock.

Yet new drivers are not even allowed to bring their trucks inside to park them because they tear up too many trucks.