Should I cover drive?

BobbyT

So I have been a pre-loader for about 6 months. I started in November-Peak to get some part time work when my wife was laid off. I have a college degree and a decent job in the technology industry. Recently there has been a need for cover drivers, and management has shown interest in recruiting me to drive. They said they would waive the 1yr requirement. I make about the same salary as a cover driver would if they had 40 hours a week, but after I pay out to health care I make much less. I don't get enough hours on pre-load to receive UPS health care. I have always been interested in driving, but I'm nervous about Integrad and the 30 day qualification. I have a few questions about risks and benefits of driving.

1) What is the average yearly income for someone starting as a cover?(18.75 hr)
2) What are drivers often disqualified for?
3) What does it take to make it?
4) Can I complete my 30 in less than 90 days?(before peak)
5) What time do you typically finish your day?
6) How difficult is driver school?
7) Can I trust management?

I would appreciate any advice and answers to one or all questions. I would really like to be a driver, but I don't know if its worth the risk of giving up my current career for one that might not even happen if disqualified. I know it takes more than a 4 year degree and a couple months on pre-load to be a quality driver, I'm used to working 13 hr days by this point, but I feel like I need more information before i sign the dotted line.

Thanks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1) don't know. Do the math
2) going too slow,accident. Basically anything in your first 30.
3)hard work and some luck
4)sure why not
5)between 5-10pm
6)hard
7) HELL NO

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Forget about it. They can not " waive the 1 year requirement". A grievance would be filed and someone else who has senority will get the job. This is a union job son. That's not how we do things around here.

BobbyT

Forget about it. They can not " waive the 1 year requirement". A grievance would be filed and someone else who has senority will get the job. This is a union job son. That's not how we do things around here.
What if im essentially laid off the majority of the time?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on if anyone else wants to do it.
I know of a place that just had multiple FT bids go up. Only person to sign them had 10 days of seniority.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Dosent matter. 1 year senority is a requirement that has had to be met for past bids as well. Management can not pick and choose the rules and requirements that they want to overlook. I find it hard to believe you have been only been working there 6 months and no part timer in your whole building wants to drive.

BobbyT

Dosent matter. 1 year senority is a requirement that has had to be met for past bids as well. Management can not pick and choose the rules and requirements that they want to overlook. I find it hard to believe you have been only been working there 6 months and no part timer in your whole building wants to drive.
I'm only only working with the info I have been given. The shop steward was surprised too. The contract is pretty vague, so thank you for the insight. I will definitely ask this in my next meeting. Could they be treating me like an off the street hire?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I'm only only working with the info I have been given. The shop steward was surprised too. The contract is pretty vague, so thank you for the insight. I will definitely ask this in my next meeting. Could they be treating me like an off the street hire?
Do you think you qualify as an off the street hire?

Robert91

My center often overlooks the one-year requirement - that is, only when they have no one else interested. I've seen them put cover drivers on with only four-to-six months of seniority.

To the OP, it really depends on your center. I've seen two cover drivers in my center who quit there second jobs as management promised them at least three days of driving a week; both of them regretted it. There simply isn't enough work to have them on road in the first and second quarter. However, my building is supposedly "over staffed".

I've worked as a cover driver this past peak season. Personally it wasn't for me, I didn't like being out late nor all the added drama of management. Since UPS is just a JOB right now in my life, I don't want to make it something it's not. But, as long as your not giving up a career to cover drive, give it a shot. You may find it fits you. Worst-come-worst, you could always do it for a while and decide it's not for you, then go back to just working your current shift.

If you can, do it - I have no regrets. It's a great way to both test the waters and become a better Preloader.

PT Car Washer

What if im essentially laid off the majority of the time?
Why would you want to give up your career to drive a truck and deliver boxes all day. I know the pay is really good but totally dependent on staying healthy and strong. Only advancement is to drive a bigger truck.

MethodsMan

1) don't know. Do the math
2) going too slow,accident. Basically anything in your first 30.
3)hard work and some luck
4)sure why not
5)between 5-10pm
6)hard
7) HELL NO

Driving school is hard?

You get a week to study up on the depth of knowledge. That's about all it is. People rarely fail.