should I have been able to drive

pwithers

Ok, so I am a recent rehire at ups. I moved to a new stare in April, and I was a full time driver at the time. I now work the reload, but was told that I don't have to go back to school to drive if I drive within 1 year. HR told me they just have to turn on my D.O.T. and I'm all set. I found outthat 2 on road supervisors delivered routes today, because no one else was available.....can I grieve this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are not going to just hand you a set of browns and set you loose, even though you have previous experience. Your new mgt team will want to ride with you for at least one day to make sure that you are indeed qualified before putting you on road by yourself.

What would be the end goal of your grievance? Since you would not be eligible for monetary compensation since you are not qualified to drive (in your new center), would you be trying to force them to put you on road?

pwithers

At the very least, the center is also using full timers to deliver Saturday air....even though I have expressed interest multiple times

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Screwed_-_2.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They are not going to just hand you a set of browns and set you loose, even though you have previous experience. Your new mgt team will want to ride with you for at least one day to make sure that you are indeed qualified before putting you on road by yourself.

What would be the end goal of your grievance? Since you would not be eligible for monetary compensation since you are not qualified to drive (in your new center), would you be trying to force them to put you on road?
Why wouldn't he be qualified to drive in his new center?

barnyard

KTM rider
You're not qualified in the building so they can do whatever they want.

This.

Until you are qualified in the building where you are now working, your are not qualified to do any of that work. You can remind your bosses that you were qualified and that it just would take a couple of keystrokes to requalify you. It could be that they know that though and have checked with the supes at your old building and have decided that they do not want you FT.

Did you leave your other building on good terms??

UPSGUY72

At the very least, the center is also using full timers to deliver Saturday air....even though I have expressed interest multiple times

You have no rights to a drivers job unless you win a bid for one it doesn't matter that your drove at another building in a different state or that you told them "you want to drive". Your in a union shop seniority rules. Get in line and wait like everyone else.....

gorilla75jdw

Would he not be entitled to monetary payment for supervision doing hourly work IF no other senior employee had filed on the Art. 3 infraction . Yes I understand he is trying to get a foot in the door , but if it's time to go , by seniority, and he is now qualified then he has a legitimate argument.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would he not be entitled to monetary payment for supervision doing hourly work IF no other senior employee had filed on the Art. 3 infraction . Yes I understand he is trying to get a foot in the door , but if it's time to go , by seniority, and he is now qualified then he has a legitimate argument.

He was qualified in his previous assignment but had yet to be in his current one.

He could file the grievance but is that really the way to "introduce yourself" to your new mgt team?

gorilla75jdw

If it takes a grievance to introduce myself , and get my foot in the door , so be it . If anybody is going to get screwed , I would rather be the screwer than the screwee