should i join the union?

newguy1

i am going to start seasonal package car driver, next week bootcamp in maryland. but since im trying to make ups a career everyone says to get in the union. as a seasonal we pay union fees but are not part of the union, could i join the union now to start getting my senority? or does it require i join UPS as a normal and not seasonal worker? i figure that i can get a headstart and join the union now so it'll be easier or at least one step ahead....what do you guys think?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you are seasonal and will be laid off after Christmas, then why join the union? I would wait until after you might possibly get rehired early next year. You didn't say where you are from, in some states you have to join, and in others you don't. I would recommend anybody that drives permanently join, I just don't see the point for just a few months.

newguy1

im from pennsylvania. and yes it is mandatory to join the union in this state. i figured if i join the union and they lay me off in december, then if im rehired letes say february...but if im in the union, isn't it worth doing it to try to get a head start and get senority? it was just a thought if it was possible. i think in my hub theres alot of part timers that are mostly students and under 21 workers and that there isn't the looooongest wait to become a driver, thats what i heard today when i was there.....

raceanoncr

im from pennsylvania. and yes it is mandatory to join the union in this state. i figured if i join the union and they lay me off in december, then if im rehired letes say february...but if im in the union, isn't it worth doing it to try to get a head start and get senority? it was just a thought if it was possible. i think in my hub theres alot of part timers that are mostly students and under 21 workers and that there isn't the looooongest wait to become a driver, thats what i heard today when i was there.....

It may be different where you are but normally merely joining the union does not lock in seniority. Seniorty is based on company hire time, or should I say, permenant company hire time.